BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 vs. Tesla Model X for Family Use in Central Florida

04-21-2024, 04:46 PM   #1
Mcouple
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and X3 M40i

X7 vs. Tesla Model X for Family Use in Central Florida

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
X7 M60i vs. Tesla Model X for Family Use in Central Florida

Hey Bimmerpost fam,

I hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to reach out to those of you who might have experience with both the BMW X7 M60i and the Tesla Model X, particularly in the context of family use in Central Florida.

Here’s our situation: we’re a family of four living in Central Florida, and we’re in need of a reliable family vehicle that can accommodate us and our out-of-state visitors, including grandparents, aunts, and uncles who often come down to escape the northern harsh weather.

Currently, we’re proud owners of a 2013 e92 M3 and a 2018 x3 M40i, both of which have been impeccably maintained and have given us zero issues with routine maintenance. We’ve been loyal to the BMW brand and have even participated in PCD and M driver school, so you could say we’re fully indoctrinated!

However, we’re also open to exploring other options, especially considering the recent price reduction in the Tesla Model X Plaid, which now falls below $100k. This has given us pause in our decision to place an order for the X7 M60i last week.

We’re looking for a vehicle that can serve as both a daily driver and as a means to pick up family members from the airport, as well as make short drives to the coast with the grandparents.

While we love our BMWs, we don’t have any experience with electric vehicles at this point, and we’re curious about the Tesla ownership experience.

So, to those of you who have owned or currently own both the X7 M60i and the Tesla Model X, or have insights into comparing the two, we would greatly appreciate your input. Has the recent price reduction on the Model X Plaid changed your perspective on which vehicle might be the better fit for our family?

Thanks in advance for any insights or help you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 04:52 PM   #2
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Model X is small. Suspension is better than the 3/Y but still lack luster to X7. Simplicity of X is great but X7 is better in almost every way possible.

Look at Model X forums for fair comparison and bias removal.

I cross shopped Model X, X7, and R1S.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 05:12 PM   #3
Mcouple
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your response! It’s helpful to hear your perspective. We'll be sure to check out the Model X forums for additional insights and comparisons. Did you end up making a decision between the three vehicles you cross-shopped?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:03 PM   #4
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Given the choice, I would go with the X7 although it may be my last BMW for several reasons. Hurricanes tend to occur here causing electrical outages and evacuations are not unusual. I wouldn't want to get caught with a Tesla that I couldn't charge in an emergency. Your other vehicles may suffice in an emergency though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:54 PM   #5
Mcouple
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

that's definitely a valid concern, something I have thought about quite a bit, glad you mentioned it. The reliability of being able to fuel up conventionally during emergencies is a significant factor to consider. Thanks again for your input!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:12 AM   #6
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Given the choice, I would go with the X7 although it may be my last BMW for several reasons. Hurricanes tend to occur here causing electrical outages and evacuations are not unusual. I wouldn't want to get caught with a Tesla that I couldn't charge in an emergency. Your other vehicles may suffice in an emergency though.
While this is true, you can have a fully charged Tesla on tap while your BMW may only have a quarter tank of fuel and the gas station lines are long or out of fuel. However, a full tank of fuel on the BMW will get you 3-400 miles whereas the full charge on the model X will be about 280 miles to empty from full charge

Op- I chose X7. I wanted something ultra plush, quiet, and comfortable. The Model X is close but the air suspension is still not all that. I have a Model Y still that I love but the ride is harsh and very sporty. However, real world use, I’m averaging 35mpg based on PGE electric rates at nearly $0.50/kwh. Our solar is now not enough to support the added driving that a toddler requires of us.

The R1S has a shitty charging network, build quality issues, horrible battery drain issues that are inconsistent across the fleet, and is not as comfortable as the suspension was bouncy in the rear. I followed the forums there for 18 months and canceled my reservation late last year.

I also looked at Xc90/EX90. However, the Volvo can be known for electrical grimlins that are annoying. Their interior design was basic for recent models and make it feel like a car that was already 10 years old. The EX range was quoted less and less each report. Also delays and first year issues were a concern. I put a reservation in hoping for early 2024 delivery but it still isn’t close to being ready for production.

The X7 with the B58 seems to be well sorted. While it has some issues based on forum feedback (front differential, transfer case, rear seat electronics, and shark fin leak), I was willing to take those risks given how glassy smooth and quiet the ride is compared to other vehicles in the market. The X5 rear seat was short on leg room and not any bigger than the Model Y. I wanted a car that was a step up in size but wouldn’t kill me with 15mpg. Current averaging 20 in town with mellow driving and 23-25 on the highway with ease. The third row accommodates two car seats which is a win for the adults who can sit middle row. The third row dedicated AC was also a key contributor to the X7. The Model X has abysmal passive rear AC. While I don’t use the 3Rd row often, it helps with overall cooling down the car faster in the summer as well as keeping pets cooler too. Cold weather package is required for this feature.

The thing I miss from Tesla the most is auto pilot. Set that on the highway, rest my hand at the base of the steering wheel, and I barely had to pay attention which saved a ton of energy and stress. I think the new highway assist BMW has provides similar results overall. I do not enjoy the driving style of FSD or stop and go with autopilot. Too abrupt and aggressive.

Best of luck in your search!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:17 AM   #7
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Over the years, I've attempted to like Teslas many times. Never could pull the trigger, mostly b/c they've got the interior quality of a mid range Honda. We have two BMW EVs (i4 M50 and iX M60). I would suggest keeping a gas car as back up though (ours was an X7, now a 392 Wrangler). I'm sure you're poking around the Tesla forum for their perspective but I suggest that you poke around the iX boards for perspectives from Tesla defectors as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:36 AM   #8
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Over the years, I've attempted to like Teslas many times. Never could pull the trigger, mostly b/c they've got the interior quality of a mid range Honda. We have two BMW EVs (i4 M50 and iX M60). I would suggest keeping a gas car as back up though (ours was an X7, now a 392 Wrangler). I'm sure you're poking around the Tesla forum for their perspective but I suggest that you poke around the iX boards for perspectives from Tesla defectors as well.
I found the Model Y seats to be really comfortable. Basic AF but they are nice for long distance. I drove 15h straight with minimal discomfort.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:31 AM   #9
khai37
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7

If you need the third row to fit an adult, I go X7. My BIL has the model X and his third row is tiny compared to my XB7.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:42 AM   #10
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai37 View Post
If you need the third row to fit an adult, I go X7. My BIL has the model X and his third row is tiny compared to my XB7.
Add in the trunk space is eliminated when 3rd row is up on the X. While X7 trunk is also small, at least the bench seats are comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:56 AM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Tesla is not a Luxury vehicle in reality if that matters to you. A Tesla model X is closer to a X3 in size and comparison. In that size group you go X3 M40i and don’t look back as far as price/performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:40 AM   #12
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Tesla is not a Luxury vehicle in reality if that matters to you. A Tesla model X is closer to a X3 in size and comparison. In that size group you go X3 M40i and don’t look back as far as price/performance.
Probably closer to X5 on interior space.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:41 AM   #13
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

The 3rd row seat of the Tesla X is for kids only. And I think the 2nd row only fits two adults? If that matters, you'd have to choose the X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:05 AM   #14
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Florida = Traffic = Heat = Air Conditioning = Half the battery life Tesla publishes.

And it's already got half the luxury, half the comfort, and half the 2nd/3rd Row capacity, so the only real point to it is either blast-off's from red lights (not a priority with elders in the car I'm guessing) or benefits to the environment (possible, debatable).

My good friend and my brother-in-law were both the biggest pro-Tesla fans imaginable when they first got them. And by the end of the third year, they couldn't wait to get rid of them. Just too unluxurious, too expensive, too inconvenient.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:46 AM   #15
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It’s funny as I just traveled from PA to Florida now and every Tesla from Orlando to Richmond Virginia on i95 are poking in the right lane (hyper miling) as I fly by them on the left.
I do this 2200 mile trip every year and never see any electric car in the left lane.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-22-2024 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 11:50 AM   #16
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
It’s funny as I just traveled from PA to Florida now and every Tesla from Orlando to Richmond Virginia on i95 are poking in the right lane (hyper miling) as I fly by them on the left.
I've noticed that a lot too and I thought, well, maybe they're trying to be environmentally concious (being EV owners), and trying not to use too much energy by going too fast. But then it occured to me that they are more than likely forced to drive that way (at least sometimes if not most) because of range anxiety.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      04-22-2024, 12:00 PM   #17
E46G07fanatic
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, BMW X7, Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Florida = Traffic = Heat = Air Conditioning = Half the battery life Tesla publishes.

And it's already got half the luxury, half the comfort, and half the 2nd/3rd Row capacity, so the only real point to it is either blast-off's from red lights (not a priority with elders in the car I'm guessing) or benefits to the environment (possible, debatable).

My good friend and my brother-in-law were both the biggest pro-Tesla fans imaginable when they first got them. And by the end of the third year, they couldn't wait to get rid of them. Just too unluxurious, too expensive, too inconvenient.
Might be worth renting an EV to understand them better. Teslas and all electric cars thrive in warm weather (60F to 80F) and logarithmically decline in efficiency above and below those figures. They also thrive in traffic because of regenative braking. AC doesn't really pull much energy from the battery because of the battery cooling system remaining active. Tesla does really exaggerate the range figures but if you keep it around town and on short highway trips, you can achieve the estimated range. If I lived in Florida or other warm states, I would love a Tesla - its where they truly thrive.

I own a model y and absolutely love it (despite all the depreciation). Its easily the best car my family has ever owned (we've owned a lot). The model X is closer to a X5 in size but nowhere near as luxurious as a BMW. Tesla fit and finish has some work to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:37 PM   #18
Mcouple
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your input, it has been incredibly helpful for my decision-making process!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:48 PM   #19
Mcouple
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do this 2200 mile trip every year and never see any electric car in the left lane.

Beautiful vehicle, thanks for your comment!
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      04-22-2024, 03:25 PM   #20
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
While this is true, you can have a fully charged Tesla on tap while your BMW may only have a quarter tank of fuel and the gas station lines are long or out of fuel. However, a full tank of fuel on the BMW will get you 3-400 miles whereas the full charge on the model X will be about 280 miles to empty from full charge

Op- I chose X7. I wanted something ultra plush, quiet, and comfortable. The Model X is close but the air suspension is still not all that. I have a Model Y still that I love but the ride is harsh and very sporty. However, real world use, I’m averaging 35mpg based on PGE electric rates at nearly $0.50/kwh. Our solar is now not enough to support the added driving that a toddler requires of us.

The R1S has a shitty charging network, build quality issues, horrible battery drain issues that are inconsistent across the fleet, and is not as comfortable as the suspension was bouncy in the rear. I followed the forums there for 18 months and canceled my reservation late last year.

I also looked at Xc90/EX90. However, the Volvo can be known for electrical grimlins that are annoying. Their interior design was basic for recent models and make it feel like a car that was already 10 years old. The EX range was quoted less and less each report. Also delays and first year issues were a concern. I put a reservation in hoping for early 2024 delivery but it still isn’t close to being ready for production.

The X7 with the B58 seems to be well sorted. While it has some issues based on forum feedback (front differential, transfer case, rear seat electronics, and shark fin leak), I was willing to take those risks given how glassy smooth and quiet the ride is compared to other vehicles in the market. The X5 rear seat was short on leg room and not any bigger than the Model Y. I wanted a car that was a step up in size but wouldn’t kill me with 15mpg. Current averaging 20 in town with mellow driving and 23-25 on the highway with ease. The third row accommodates two car seats which is a win for the adults who can sit middle row. The third row dedicated AC was also a key contributor to the X7. The Model X has abysmal passive rear AC. While I don’t use the 3Rd row often, it helps with overall cooling down the car faster in the summer as well as keeping pets cooler too. Cold weather package is required for this feature.

The thing I miss from Tesla the most is auto pilot. Set that on the highway, rest my hand at the base of the steering wheel, and I barely had to pay attention which saved a ton of energy and stress. I think the new highway assist BMW has provides similar results overall. I do not enjoy the driving style of FSD or stop and go with autopilot. Too abrupt and aggressive.

Best of luck in your search!
There is usually plenty of notice on hurricanes, so there has never been any reason you wouldn't have a full tank if it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:27 PM   #21
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
There is usually plenty of notice on hurricanes, so there has never been any reason you wouldn't have a full tank if it arrives.
Same would be the case with Model X charging then. If hurricane is on the way, keep at 100%. Won’t hurt the battery for a week or two.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:49 PM   #22
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
Same would be the case with Model X charging then. If hurricane is on the way, keep at 100%. Won’t hurt the battery for a week or two.
Power is a little less predictable. A thunder storm can knock it out at the wrong time. Also, in an evacuation, charging stations can get pretty busy.

PS- As the other poster pointed out, range is significantly less in a hot climate. I hadn't considered that and when everyone is evacuating there can be significant traffic jams. As an aside, I have to drive 15 miles in either direction to get off the beach onto the mainland so I am probably more sensitive than others. My X7 has a range of over 600 miles; at least double Tesla. There may come a time when there are an adequate number of charging stations and many may become somewhat independent by using gas-powered generator backup

Last edited by rjabend; 04-22-2024 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0