BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Oil Service DIY

01-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: Several

Oil Service DIY

Wanted to change out the oil at 1k miles. Has anyone done this service themselves? Should be pretty routine, but wanted to check as far as filter parts, etc. If not, I may just embark on this and post a DIY!
2015 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6M
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
like2short
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8202632 View Post
Wanted to change out the oil at 1k miles. Has anyone done this service themselves? Should be pretty routine, but wanted to check as far as filter parts, etc. If not, I may just embark on this and post a DIY!
Getbmwparts.com

And I would not bother changing it at 1k unless you want to do it because the other post on needing to change the oil ASAP. You'll most likely have problems with the cooling system, turbos, or fuel injection far before the rings or bearings wear out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
jmciver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Changing out the oil at the ~1200 mile mark as part of an engine "break-in" service is not a bad idea. BMW makes it a requirement on the engines in the M-cars (and is covered under the maintenance plan). But I would still probably do it on a non-M engine as well just as a good maintenance practice, especially if you plan to keep it for the long haul.

That said, the job looks pretty easy - as any oil change should be. I have never seen the oil filter on a BMW engine on the bottom of the engine though (which I guess is unique to the N63 : ). Only special tool you should need is the oil filter cover removal tool which can be purchased almost anywhere - and appears to be the same one BMW has used on their engines going back many years. But damn, 10.5 liters of oil is a lot....

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
hoffmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Changing out the oil at the ~1200 mile mark as part of an engine "break-in" service is not a bad idea. BMW makes it a requirement on the engines in the M-cars (and is covered under the maintenance plan). But I would still probably do it on a non-M engine as well just as a good maintenance practice, especially if you plan to keep it for the long haul.

That said, the job looks pretty easy - as any oil change should be. I have never seen the oil filter on a BMW engine on the bottom of the engine though (which I guess is unique to the N63 : ). Only special tool you should need is the oil filter cover removal tool which can be purchased almost anywhere - and appears to be the same one BMW has used on their engines going back many years. But damn, 10.5 liters of oil is a lot....
Have not yet on this car but had an n/s63 v8 variant on 550, 650 GC, x5 50i and a M5. Have done oil changes on all and its pretty easy. Filter comes with the replacement gaskets you need. VERY IMPORTANT THOUGH: if you are jacking the car instead of using ramps and you have the air suspension - make sure you disable it first. I didnt and had some error messages when i lifted ours to put on winter tires. Fortunately they went away after a few miles. There is a thread on that topic here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
nynd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
Have not yet on this car but had an n/s63 v8 variant on 550, 650 GC, x5 50i and a M5. Have done oil changes on all and its pretty easy. Filter comes with the replacement gaskets you need. VERY IMPORTANT THOUGH: if you are jacking the car instead of using ramps and you have the air suspension - make sure you disable it first. I didnt and had some error messages when i lifted ours to put on winter tires. Fortunately they went away after a few miles. There is a thread on that topic here somewhere.
Nothing in the owners manual stating to disable air suspension. I know previously there use to be a switch on some units to turn it off. Maybe new system is more forgiving?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
F90POWER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Frozen DG M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
How do you disable the air suspension? I jacked my M50i up to carbon ceramic coat the wheels and looked in the manual and there was nothing on how to disable this so I didnít do it and did not have any error messages or issues
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
crackerjack15
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

You press on lower switch and hold for 7 seconds and release. Green light is supposed to go out confirming it is temporarily disabled. Repeat to reactivate. It's under air suspension on idrive manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
nynd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Good info - Just saw it:

Wheel change
Before a wheel change, deactivate the system:

Press the rocker switch forward or pull it backward for approx. 7 seconds. After the rocker switch is released, the LED indicator on the rocker switch will go out.

Activating the system: press the rocker switch forward or pull it backward for approx. 7 seconds. After the rocker switch is released, the LED indicator will reactivate.
Appreciate 0