BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2014 Formula 1 Debut thread

01-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
2014 Formula 1 Debut thread

Lets just gather all the debuts in one thread, just before the Winter testing.
      01-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Williams FW36

Holy ugly!!! I really hate the nose.
The 3D CAD illustrations looks more like a university project, especially the lack of sponsorships and the way Williams present it.

http://en.espnf1.com/williams/motors...ry/142501.html

Quote:
Williams has released the first images of its 2014 car, FW36, via its website and Twitter.

Released in an interim all-blue livery, the most striking feature of FW36 is its narrow nose, which is necessary to meet FIA regulations while allowing for as much airflow as possible under the car. Most teams are expected to adopt similar solutions to meet the 2014 regulations, but Williams is the first to release an image of the unsightly design.

FW36 will be the first Williams powered by a Mercedes engine, with the all new V6 turbo and Energy Recovery Systems under the engine cover.

"This is the first time that Williams has worked with Mercedes in F1 and we've been very impressed," technical director Pat Symonds said. "Their professionalism and commitment have been notable and we're as confident as we can be that the power unit will be competitive.

"There's a lot more technology on the cars this year. We've had turbo-charged engines in F1 before; what's different this time is that it is much more than just an engine change, it is a completely different system. We've gone from a slightly hybridised normally aspirated engine to a fully integrated hybrid power unit with novel technology at its heart.

"Overall the cars will need more cooling this year. The demands on water and oil cooling may be slightly diminished, but the ERS system is significantly more powerful and hence needs more cooling. We also have to cool the charge air from the turbocharger compressor which requires a substantial intercooler.

"We finished the gearbox relatively early. It's completed a lot of running on the test rig and at Mercedes HPP in Brixworth, but you can't take reliability for granted. It's a completely new 'box and it has to cope with a lot more torque than was the case with the V8."

However, Symonds said the onus was still on aerodynamics, with Williams hoping to bounce back from a disappointing season in 2013.

"F1 is still going to be an aerodynamic formula in 2014," he added. "There are some significant changes: the nose is lower than last year and the front wing is narrower, which means the end plates are now more shrouded by the front tyre. The rear wing isn't as deep as last year and the beam wing below it is no longer permitted, and we've also lost the ability to use the exhaust to enhance aero performance.

"I'm confident that we'll be closer to the front aerodynamically than we were last year. Our ambition for the year ahead is to have a strong 2014 season."

He added that one of the biggest challenges with FW36 was making sure the extra bulk of the new engine did not tip the car over the minimum weight limit.

"The build of the new car has gone remarkably smoothly," Symonds said. "But it's been a challenge to get the car down to the weight limit. It's been achievable, but it hasn't been easy because the new power unit is heavier than the outgoing V8."

The car will hit the track for the first time at the Jerez test on Tuesday with Valtteri Bottas behind the wheel.
Attached Images

01-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Where's the force India?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

So they went from a duck bill to a dolphin nose.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
So they went from a duck bill to a dolphin nose.
It looks like it has a reservoir tip.
      01-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The front looks like a bulging jock strap.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Sahara Force India 2014

Word on the street: Mclaren - Whitmarsh out; Sam Michaels in;
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Rumors:

Witmarsh out; Dennis in
Also Ross Brawn in McLaren with Honda connection?
      01-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post

Sam Michaels brings mediocrity with him wherever he goes. Why McLaren would promote him is beyond me. I mean, he did such a nice job with Williams when he was there....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Most likely: Sam Michaels - Interim TP;

I'd rather they keep Whitmarsh through 2014.
Pick up Brawn mid-year - have Brawn work in the background towards 2015.
Brawn - TP for 2015 - onwards
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
That new front is horrible. It's gonna take a long time to get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

What's up with the Lotus proboscis ?

Why the heck does the new E22 have different length noses??

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
McLaren MP4-29

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ry/142639.html

Quote:
McLaren has become the first team to pull the wraps off its 2014 car after an online launch of the new MP4-29 on Friday.

It is the first of the new era of V6 turbo Formula One cars to emerge ahead of pre-season testing next week and features the odd-looking nose that is expected to be a common feature up and down the grid this year. The front end is designed to conform to new safety regulations regarding the height of the front of the nose while also allowing airflow to the floor of the car.

It also features a narrower front wing in line with the 2014 aero regulations and a solo exhaust exiting at the middle of the rear of the car. The cooling requirements for the new V6 turbo engine and energy recovery systems have also required bigger sidepod openings to feed the radiators and intercooler. It is the last McLaren to be powered by Mercedes for the foreseeable future, with Honda set to take over the engine supply from 2015.

The team noted that the car "will potentially undergo more technical change throughout a single season than any other car in McLaren's long and illustrious history". Managing director Jonathan Neale added that the team had taken a pragmatic approach to the car design over the winter.

"We've never had such significant new regulations before; reacting to them, and managing those changes, while still pushing the performance limits, has been an extremely tough job," he said. "We've been relatively pragmatic about it. We know that the need for consistency initially outweighs the need for performance - the winter tests won't be about chasing set-up or refining the car; the envelope of performance is likely to be so wide, and so relatively unknown, that the winter - and to some extent the opening races - will be about understanding the operational boundaries of the car as best we can.
"To achieve this, we need a consistent platform - one that responds positively to changes. Moreover, the work of the engineers and designers to understand and interpret trackside data will be more important than before. That's because this year, more than ever, will come down to a development race: I don't necessarily think you can expect the car that wins the opening race to be the car that leads the championship charge, something we've often seen in the past.

"No, it will be all about a team's ability to react and respond. We already have an update package that we're readying for race one, and we're discovering new things in the 'tunnel, or in CFD, all the time. Once we start track testing, I think you'll see an intense throughput of ideas and concepts - that's the nitty-gritty that will win or lose the world championship."

The livery has also been altered from that of the last seven seasons due to the loss of title sponsor Vodafone at the end of last year. As expected, McLaren has not yet announced a replacement for Vodafone and the livery is a simple silver and black design, with MP4-29 decals replacing Vodafone's red logos.

After a season without a victory in 2013, sporting director Sam Michael said McLaren's main aim is to get back to winning ways as soon as possible and is hoping the team can take advantage of the unpredictability F1's new regulations will bring.

"We've made no secret of our disappointment at how the 2013 season turned out," Michael said. "The aim now is to get back to winning - that's what McLaren exists to do - but there's a certain amount of growth and regrowth that needs to take place before we return to a position where we can challenge for the world championship.

"The good thing is that we've acknowledged that, and we've actually been working towards that goal for many months now. We have Honda waiting in the wings, we have a number of key technical staff bolstering our existing design and engineering teams, and we are fostering the careers of our young drivers, all of whom have an incredible amount of potential. The future for McLaren is bright, and we're now putting in place the processes that will move us closer to our goals.

"For 2014, our aim is for continuous development; we'll be refining and strengthening the car and the organisation throughout the year, so you'll see a rapid turnover of parts and ideas on the car as we, like every team, wrestle with the many unique challenges of these new regulations. More immediately, our aim is to enjoy a smooth winter at all three tests, hopefully learning a lot as we go, and hopefully developing MP4-29 into something consistent, useable and quick."
Attached Images

01-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i would drive it?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Lotus E22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDNA View Post
Why the heck does the new E22 have different length noses??
F1 is on drugs this season...
Attached Images

01-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #16
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Sadly, I think the Mclaren would probably have the most aesthetically pleasing front out of the entire grid.

Lotus, they got bigger problems than that two-pronged nosed lol.

Looks like Boullier jumped ship to go to Macca.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
So glad that Honda and McLaren are teaming up again.

Why is one of the "prongs" on the lotus longer than the other? Gah those front ends are going to make for some bad jokes.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Nose to nose, the McLaren and Lotus can have intercourse!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Nose to nose, the McLaren and Lotus can have intercourse!
So the lotus is the bitch, and mclaren and williams are the dudes.....its going to be a complicated relationships around the paddock...lol...
      01-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
So the lotus is the bitch, and mclaren and williams are the dudes.....its going to be a complicated relationships around the paddock...lol...
I think this is where 3rd tier teams come from...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #21
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

We need the NSA to get pictures of the front wings. All of them are black IOT hide details...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
Why is one of the "prongs" on the lotus longer than the other?
I was wondering the same thing. I could see some asymetry for NASCAR or Indy where they only turn in one direction but it doesn't make much sense to me for an F1 car.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0