12-23-2020, 10:50 PM   #23
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
My Alpina was ordered in June and finally picked up on 12/10/20.

My first impressions of the XB7 is exactly what I thought it was going to be.

My current SUVs in the house are 2021 Audi SQ8, 2019 Porsche Macan S, 2018 Bentayga W12. With that being said, this drives different compared to anything else I've owned. I love cars. I appreciate each individual vehicles dynamics for they were intended to do. I was a track junky in an earlier life.

Some impressions so far...

1. I drove the X7 5.0M many times and I thought the transmission and shift points was not as intuitive, precise as it should be. At times it should shift too late and keep the RPM in a range where there was a lull in power. I had ordered and cancelled my X7 5.0M after my dealer got a car for me to test drive. The XB7's transmission programming is much improved. Although it isnt a dual clutch transmission, it does its best to mimic it and the larger turbos keep it out of a dead zone in power and torque. Even in comfort transmission programming, the improvement in transmission program and power curve is night and day noticeable.

2. It drives like any other Alpina. If you have driven Alpina's in EU or the B7 here, the recipe is the same. Seamless monster torque delivery, comfortable ride and enough things to differentiate it but not scream "look at me".

3. NO auto stop and start feature. Love that I don't have to turn it off each time I get in.

4. The pictures are taken in my Sport Individual mode. Suspension, and transmission is in comfort. However, in the "Sport Individual" mode it drops the suspension drive height even in the "comfort" setting. Steering set to sport for added sharpness in 4 steer and turn in. Even in the lower suspension with comfort, the ride is excellent. Honestly, you can't really tell the ride quality different between "comfort" and "Sport Individual Comfort Suspension" setting. Riding on 23's and on rubberbands, this is phenomenal. I found the "comfort plus" setting to feel too floaty and too much body roll.

5. The exhaust note is pretty noticeable with the windows down. Windows up, it is almost too quiet. I wish I could hear it more with the windows rolled up.

6. My sirius xm lost its signal and will not play. When I access the radio id, nothing is there. Somehow, there is no radio ID. Called Sirius to see if the trial was not turned on, and it was. I think the system needs a hard reset to get it working again. Total bummer.

7. I ordered the RSE with the advice of many on here but the 2021 RSE does not have a HDMI port. Total disappointment.

8. The brakes grab and they grab hard. I had a 2019 Cayenne Turbo ordered with carbon ceramic brakes. I feel like they bite and grab just as hard as that. Amazing.

Lots of BMW fanboys in my area. Gotten a lot of thumbs up and been asked what is it at Home depot. I spent all day yesterday painting correcting her.

I am having Huper Otik put on it right now. 200 miles put on her in the 3 days. Will post more thoughts once I get more seat time.

Pictures taken in "Sport Individual "driving mode which is my default driving mode.
Yo, she 🔥!! Looks good on them 23's
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #24
nogaroblue
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Congratulations! Enjoy in good health!
      12-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #25
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I really don't like SUVs in general, but between this beautiful machine and the RSQ8 you've got the 2 best IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #26
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The car selections in your garage ought to warrant a visit from Carwow team to film the next episode.

XB7 is a star. Great choice!
Appreciate 1
Vervain397.50
      12-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #27
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

awesome!!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #28
scottg61376
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 M Coupe;14 M6;17 X6M;18 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
There are a few ways to do it. Rear hdmi by the Blu-ray player is probably the easiest. A hard drive full of movies or memory stick is by far the easiest way to have a very large movie library in the vehicle at all times. You can also mirror cast from your phone as well. If you have a newer Samsung Galaxy you can use “dex” in the rear as well for a pc experience and streaming hub.
I've normally taken the movies on a thumb drive approach, but being able to stream Hulu or Disney+ would be awesome. We are an iOS family...so thinking the only way to do it would be to install an AppleTV to use Airplay to.

Unless anyone else has a better idea...
2008 BMW M Coupe; 2015 BMW i8 Coupe; 2021 BMW X6 M50; 2021 Alpina XB7
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #29
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg61376 View Post
Quote:
There are a few ways to do it. Rear hdmi by the Blu-ray player is probably the easiest. A hard drive full of movies or memory stick is by far the easiest way to have a very large movie library in the vehicle at all times. You can also mirror cast from your phone as well. If you have a newer Samsung Galaxy you can use “dex” in the rear as well for a pc experience and streaming hub.
I've normally taken the movies on a thumb drive approach, but being able to stream Hulu or Disney+ would be awesome. We are an iOS family...so thinking the only way to do it would be to install an AppleTV to use Airplay to.

Unless anyone else has a better idea...
You're correct on using Apple TV as that's the only thing that will work with iPhone currently. Either that, or a lighting to HDMI attachment, or lightning to USBC attachment.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #30
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Wow great ride! How much better is the interior in the B vs the X7 50?
The one thing that lacks is the interior differentiation other then a few Alpina only trim choices, different gauge cluster, blue lighting on the gear shifter and idrive controller, Alpina illuminated door sills, Alpina leather lined floor mats, Alpina Lavalina steering wheel...
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      12-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #31
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Congrats! Great write up. It's amazing those 23's somehow look small on the XB7 - prob just the pics

In any case beautiful
You are right. The 23's do look small. The wheel wells are huge on the XB7!
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      12-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #32
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
Yo, she 🔥!! Looks good on them 23's
Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #33
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The one thing that lacks is the interior differentiation other then a few Alpina only trim choices, different gauge cluster, blue lighting on the gear shifter and idrive controller, Alpina illuminated door sills, Alpina leather lined floor mats, Alpina Lavalina steering wheel...
For its price point Bmw could or should kick up a notch or two the interior. One of the main thing they lack compared to some other lux sport SUV's. Eg: RR sport SVR even MB etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #34
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
For its price point Bmw could or should kick up a notch or two the interior. One of the main thing they lack compared to some other lux sport SUV's. Eg: RR sport SVR even MB etc.
ALPINA offers optional LAVALINA leather for the XB7 which is quite beautiful but BMW doesn't offer that option to the US market which is a shame. While it might be an additional $10K to $12K it would really differentiate the XB7 from the X7. ALPINA covers the seat backs and second-row cup holders that come with the captains seats in LAVALINA leather. I hope BMW and ALPINA start offering LAVALINA to the US market in the near future.

https://www.alpina-automobiles.com/e...terior-design/
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #35
BadBoostedBMWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36m,F80,G80;TRX; 992 TTS; F95

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg61376 View Post
Where you are streaming from for the rear entertainment?
There are a few ways to do it. Rear hdmi by the Blu-ray player is probably the easiest. A hard drive full of movies or memory stick is by far the easiest way to have a very large movie library in the vehicle at all times. You can also mirror cast from your phone as well. If you have a newer Samsung Galaxy you can use "dex" in the rear as well for a pc experience and streaming hub.
First and foremost, very nice xb7!

But, I'm not following you... how do you stream MM?
      12-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #36
jct_m3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Garage List
Awesome ! hopefully the roads aren't bad where you are! i'd hate to go through so many wheels
      12-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #37
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Love those wheels on the Alpina!
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #38
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
ALPINA offers optional LAVALINA leather for the XB7 which is quite beautiful but BMW doesn't offer that option to the US market which is a shame. While it might be an additional $10K to $12K it would really differentiate the XB7 from the X7. ALPINA covers the seat backs and second-row cup holders that come with the captains seats in LAVALINA leather. I hope BMW and ALPINA start offering LAVALINA to the US market in the near future.

https://www.alpina-automobiles.com/e...terior-design/
I would agree. If I were in the market for the B , I would gladly lay out the extra for the upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 11:21 PM   #39
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina Gonsk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Alpina all the way, Alpina takes BMW to even upper level.
Very nice machine, enjoy it.
There is a differentiation in the engine compartment, air intake ducting, Piston heads, l believe a modified exhaust system & transmission as well. Just be carful with potholes, those beautiful wheels are prone to bend easily.
Sure, most considering a XB7 would know the significant mechanical upgrades that but if you're spending that much on a vehicle then the interior should be more special than a X7 M50i than just the trim.

BMWNA should have offered ALPINA Lavalina full leather interior and individual options. Unfortunately a USA XB7 would have had to be shipped back to Germany for finishing since Spartanburg doesn't (yet, or no plans to) have an ALPINA interior and customization finishing in the USA.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:54 AM   #40
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Very nice!! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #41
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is a differentiation in the engine compartment, air intake ducting, Piston heads, l believe a modified exhaust system & transmission as well. Just be carful with potholes, those beautiful wheels are prone to bend easily.
Sure, most considering a XB7 would know the significant mechanical upgrades that but if you're spending that much on a vehicle then the interior should be more special than a X7 M50i than just the trim.

BMWNA should have offered ALPINA Lavalina full leather interior and individual options. Unfortunately a USA XB7 would have had to be shipped back to Germany for finishing since Spartanburg doesn't (yet, or no plans to) have an ALPINA finishing line in the USA.
Are you saying European-bound XB7's assembled in Spartanburg are shipped overseas with no interiors for ALPINA to finish the interiors? Can you post a link to a website or article where you've read this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #42
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BMWNA should have offered ALPINA Lavalina full leather interior and individual options. Unfortunately a USA XB7 would have had to be shipped back to Germany for finishing since Spartanburg doesn't (yet, or no plans to) have an ALPINA finishing line in the USA.
Are you saying European-bound XB7's assembled in Spartanburg are shipped overseas with no interiors for ALPINA to finish the interiors? Can you post a link to a website or article where you've read this? Thanks
Apologies, let me correct and clarify my previous post - there is an ALPINA finishing facility at Spartanburg for XB7s for North America markets.

All of the hardware for the ALPINA XB7 is built in Buchloe, such as the engine, wheels and all of the other mechanical. That hardware is then sent to Spartanburg for final assembly. It's also finished in Spartanburg, as a specialized team of experts, trained by ALPINA, give the car the brand's famous "white glove" treatment.

Correction and clarification from my previous post:

For the US and Canadian markets, all final hand assembling and finishing is done in Spartanburg. For markets outside of the US, the hand-finished details are done in Germany.

"...with the arrival of the XB7, Bovensiepen (company boss) tells Autoweek has been designed with American buyers very much in mind, and will be finished at a special Alpina facility at BMW's Spartanburg, S.C plant." - Autoweek Aug 12, 2020.

The cars are still assembled in Spartanburg but are then shipped to Buchloe for additional finishing, details and client customizations - eg custom interiors, Lavalina option 1 and option 2, then shipped to client from there, alongside other ALPINA vehicles.

Also ALPINA XB7 isn't the first ALPINA to be built in Spartanburg. Previously, ALPINA versions of the X3 and X4 were also built in Spartanburg, as well as the 2003-2006 ALPINA Roadster S (Z4).

Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      01-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #43
laraider
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50I 2017 X3

Congrats! Very good looking !
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #44
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep