jordanm3195
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 228xi

Alpina xb7 vs Range Rover v8

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys. Stuck in a dilemma right now.
Currently have a 2020 g wagon which is being bought back due to it being a lemon.. loved the truck but it’s a bit too uncomfortable, annoying with the gas mileage and not that spacious.
Exploring the options of an alpina xb7 and a Range Rover full size v8..

Where I’m at -

Alpina pros: more rare then Range Rover, has better options, more reliable, quicker and has a better overall brand behind it reliability wise

Range Rover pros: has the status, looks great and is a classic design, luxury, great off roading (which I don’t do), about 20k less than alpina..

Cons for alpina: unknown value after a few years, is the design a classic? How will it age? Is there a new x7 design coming soon? Does it have a status to it? I know the b7 has a good name but does it turn heads like a range or g wagon?

Cons for range : new design coming in 2022, don’t want to be stuck with an old model, reliability isn’t the best, infotainment is horrible.. owned a rr sport last year and the screens barely work, everyone in LA has a Range Rover.. far too common

I’m just seeking some additional input or assistance making my decision. Anything helps

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

My vote is for the XB7. Range Rovers are nice but there is just a level of uncertainty regarding reliability with the electronics and especially with the 5.0 SC motor that is still prone to issues. Are you considering the LWB SVA model?

I just replaced my wifes RR L322 with a 2020 X7 and she is more than happy considering she initially wanted to move into the RR Sport (she hated it) then considered the New Defender but once she layed eyes on the X7, there was no contest!
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
jordanm3195
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post
My vote is for the XB7. Range Rovers are nice but there is just a level of uncertainty regarding reliability with the electronics and especially with the 5.0 SC motor that is still prone to issues. Are you considering the LWB SVA model?

I just replaced my wifes RR L322 with a 2020 X7 and she is more than happy considering she initially wanted to move into the RR Sport (she hated it) then considered the New Defender but once she layed eyes on the X7, there was no contest!
It would be the v8 full size.. not the autobiography. Not the long wheel either but I could choose that.. just didn’t want it

Is the xb7 worth the extra 15-20k? Is it going to hold its value better and stand out more?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanm3195 View Post
Is the xb7 worth the extra 15-20k? Is it going to hold its value better and stand out more?
Nothing I loathe more then people who buy something so they can “stand out”. With that statement I’d say a RR is a better choice for you.
Appreciate 1
aas5171.00
      01-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
jordanm3195
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Nothing I loathe more then people who buy something so they can “stand out”. With that statement I’d say a RR is a better choice for you.
Stand out in terms of being unique and a car that brings positive attention. If that was the case then everyone would get the same color car with the same options.. uniqueness and appearance matters. I never owned an alpina or bmw so I can’t speak on that.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #7
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

spending this much, I'd want
a) a car that runs
b) something I might not mistake for one of the other seventeen in the parking lot

At least around here that rules out the rr. If the autobio isn't under consideration, that takes out the rest of the reason to buy it.
      01-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanm3195 View Post
Stand out in terms of being unique and a car that brings positive attention. If that was the case then everyone would get the same color car with the same options.. uniqueness and appearance matters. I never owned an alpina or bmw so I can’t speak on that.
Appearance should matter to you and not in terms of other people approving of what you buy and how it looks. I don’t live my life for other people.

Your mentality seems to fit that of a RR owner. That brand has been at the bottom of the reliability ratings for years and yet it still attracts buyers because it seems to show social status.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I'd go with the XB7. So many friends with Range Rovers over the years; yawn. They're comfortable, but nothing excites me about their styling anymore. If you want to save some money and like the MSport styling on the X7, drive and consider the M50i. Best car I've ever owned in terms of the flexibility and duality of its personality; very comfortable around town and on the highway. Switch to sport or sport+ and the car is a beast. You certainly can't go wrong with the XB7. Personally speaking, I don't care for the exterior styling. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
NOVA99162.50
      01-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #10
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

It seems to me being seen and having bragging rights are very important to the op. With that I would recommend rr or another lol g wagon. Perhaps Bentley or some such super high end works better for being the “hey look at how much money I have” car with that type of appeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

My wife absolutely loved her 2017 Range Rover HSE, she was 100% set on getting another one when her lease was up and who am I to argue with her. I simply made a suggestion that we take a look at the X7 and GLS. After driving them both, my wife made the decision to part ways with her beloved Range Rover and after exactly 1 year with the X7, she is extremely happy with her decision, and so am I. The X7 simply does everything better than the Range Rover. When the new body Range comes out I'm sure we'll take a look at it but the X7 has set the bar very high.
      01-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #12
jordanm3195
Enlisted Member
Rep

Will xb7 have a facelift soon?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:32 PM   #13
jordanm3195
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
It seems to me being seen and having bragging rights are very important to the op. With that I would recommend rr or another lol g wagon. Perhaps Bentley or some such super high end works better for being the “hey look at how much money I have” car with that type of appeal.
I mean i THINK alpina has a status and rarity to it. Despite not owning it yet.. it seems pretty bad ass and unique. I’m all about that. The range and g wagon are like civics in LA.. everyone has one. Range is nothing special but the 20k gap is where I’m hit making the decision. If they were the same price I’d go w the xb7 every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #14
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I think you need to focus more on driving dynamics and overall personality of the vehicle. BMW is in their own league with the X7 IMO. The X7 is brand new platform just released in 2019. Its as new/fresh as it gets so it’s not like your gonna see 7 year old models on the secondary market anytime soon like RR and every other brand. That said:
Standing out in a sea of vapid Instagram types is a game better left not thinking about. You be you and those that matter will notice you. If you want to play that game then you are gonna need more money and start with a Urus or Cullinan. Then you will need to customize those as oem/stock won’t cut it in the “I’m compensating for something” crowd. ALPINA is a boutique tuner stealth brand the masses won’t know anything about so the “street prestige” won’t be there.
If you want the best damn driving dynamics in a luxury/muscle full size SUV, get a X7M50i/XB9. You will stand out as a educated enthusiast. Many of us here own multiple brands so you can be sure we didn’t “have” to buy a X7 if we didn’t think it wasnt the best at what it does.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-15-2021 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

I could care less why someone wants to buy a certain vehicle, but am glad to provide input anytime. At this price point we're all bit over the practicality of the X7 and way into the we just want the damn thing.

So, having been wanting a Porsche Cayman GT4 for a bit I can understand where the OP is coming from.

I will say this...if I saw an XB7 on the road I wouldn't look twice, but I always look twice or a few times and various different RRs. We even shopped for one a few years ago, but the interior styling wasn't for us.

The problem is the OP is in LA and the lifestyle there sometimes revolves around the car you drive...not saying this applies to the OP. I assume he wants three rows as well...not too familiar with RR and how many rows it has.

I'd go M50i, take the savings and find a custom shop in LA to make it every bit of unique and fast and loud. Loud being the key...it will get you more attention than the looks. There are options to lower the ride height as well and keep the air suspension controls...you can wrap it if you're into that...request one of the special colors for BMW I believe (most RRs I see are plain black)...get the 22's of course or opt for custom forged wheels...body kits that look better the XB7...etc

Last edited by Saejin; 01-15-2021 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #16
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

It says right under his handle that he’s from Jersey. In that case definitely go RR. Spray tans+blow outs+Range Rovers=NJ
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Think he might have moved to LA...he mentions it in his post.

Anyway, not sure, but still stand behind the M50i. Everyone wants an RR, they are nice, and get the looks. I think an M50i fully customized will stand out in a sea of RRs.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Think he might have moved to LA...he mentions it in his post.

Anyway, not sure, but still stand behind the M50i. Everyone wants an RR, they are nice, and get the looks. I think an M50i fully customized will stand out in a sea of RRs.
I think he just watches too much of the Kartrashians.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56243.00
      01-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #19
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I think you need to focus more on driving dynamics and overall personality of the vehicle. BMW is in their own league with the X7 IMO. The X7 is brand new platform just released in 2019. Its as new/fresh as it gets so it’s not like your gonna see 7 year old models on the secondary market anytime soon like RR and every other brand. That said:
Standing out in a sea of vapid Instagram types is a game better left not thinking about. You be you and those that matter will notice you. If you want to play that game then you are gonna need more money and start with a Urus or Cullinan. Then you will need to customize those as oem/stock won’t cut it in the “I’m compensating for something” crowd. ALPINA is a boutique tuner stealth brand the masses won’t know anything about so the “street prestige” won’t be there.
If you want the best damn driving dynamics in a luxury/muscle full size SUV, get a X7M50i/XB9. You will stand out as a educated enthusiast. Many of us here own multiple brands so you can be sure we didn’t “have” to buy a X7 if we didn’t think it wasnt the best at what it does.
Wow perfectly said. I agree with everything you said here. The x7 is the best overall luxury full size powerful driving experience all wrapped into one you can get. It is not however the one that will make you an Instagram star. He is right on the money there. You need much higher end and modded to hell and back.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56243.00
      01-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #20
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My neighbor had one of those rr’s and honestly it does bidding for me. My x7m50i is so much nicer all around imo it’s not even close.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #21
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Alpina xb7 vs Range Rover v8

Look at this X7 M50i, it will stand out and not strand you anywhere. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27110207
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
jordanm3195
Enlisted Member
Rep

I didn’t put what I do for a living or what my job detail entails.
Certain jobs or careers require a car for clients, for photos or even for “status” like a user commented above.. especially in LA. I love all the assumptions but I don’t want the kardashians and am not getting a car to turn heads as a sole purpose...

My questions regarding value and a new model coming out weren’t really answered and are my biggest concern.

I like the alpina design (with all the added stuff vs the m50i).. the m50i doesn’t do it for me. Coming from a g wagon and range it is nice to have a exclusive model that has some sort of prestige or added value. I don’t see anything wrong with that..

Anyways, I just don’t want to have a problem selling this car in 2-3 years. Do alpina depreciate a large amount right away like range rovers do?

I drove the alpina and it drives amazing. Duper smooth and almost floats like a Bentley or rolls does on the air suspension (comfort plus)

In terms of range rovers... they don’t stick out in LA anyways.. maybe in the Midwest or northeast where you guys are from?
.. thanks
Appreciate 1