BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New X7 Owner Road Trips from PCD Delivery to Alaska

03-06-2021, 11:14 AM   #89
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Wild so glad you stopped at the Driskill. My old goto when I worked in Austin. BTW give the B&W speakers a couple of months to break in. Even with compressed audio from Apple Music over CarPlay, my system sounds pretty impressive. A good lossless recording on that system is insane. I was cranking Dire Straights/Down to the Water Line this am while grabbing some food. Safe travels!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      03-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #90
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Yes, this is why I've always wanted to do a major US road trip - to sample many of the different states. The diversity is easy to forget when fed the news and TV shows.
Forum road trip - Route 66 in a bunch of hire cars...?
Appreciate 5
simon.922.00
Wild Blue3683.50
G50954.50
Vivek.1366.00
      03-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #91
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Hello there. I am enjoying reading about your trip. If /when you get to Los Angeles make a stop at Petersen's Automotive Museum on Wilshire Blvd in case you have never been. Make sure you do the vault tour. Also a real nice place to stay in LA is TerraneaResort. Located in Rancho Palos Verdes (yes that Rancho Palos Verdes- Tiger was staying there). It has a spectacular view of the Pacific and on a clear day you can see Catalina Island. Also Ritz Carlton Baccarat in Santa Barbara is beautiful too. If you can squeeze in Hearst Castle and Nappa Valley as you continue North. Drive safe and keep us updated on the Adventure
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
*On order 2021 M304i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. No Nickname as of yet
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #92
atomicdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 Vert ZCP,

Wonderful write up and photos ! God Bless you and your family.
Enjoy that new beauty !!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 11:22 PM   #93
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Thanks, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Wild so glad you stopped at the Driskill. My old goto when I worked in Austin. BTW give the B&W speakers a couple of months to break in. Even with compressed audio from Apple Music over CarPlay, my system sounds pretty impressive. A good lossless recording on that system is insane. I was cranking Dire Straights/Down to the Water Line this am while grabbing some food. Safe travels!
Good music choice. Yes, I was going to mention, I get the impression that the B&W does have a break-in period. Not uncommon for quality audio components. Looking forward to it just getting even better. Today I was jamming out to some Billy Joel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Forum road trip - Route 66 in a bunch of hire cars...?
Oh heck yes. Come on over. A forum BMW caravan would be epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
Hello there. I am enjoying reading about your trip. If /when you get to Los Angeles make a stop at Petersen's Automotive Museum on Wilshire Blvd in case you have never been. Make sure you do the vault tour. Also a real nice place to stay in LA is TerraneaResort. Located in Rancho Palos Verdes (yes that Rancho Palos Verdes- Tiger was staying there). It has a spectacular view of the Pacific and on a clear day you can see Catalina Island. Also Ritz Carlton Baccarat in Santa Barbara is beautiful too. If you can squeeze in Hearst Castle and Nappa Valley as you continue North. Drive safe and keep us updated on the Adventure
Good recommendations!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #94
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, this is why I've always wanted to do a major US road trip - to sample many of the different states. The diversity is easy to forget when fed the news and TV shows.
Yes, already I'm struck by the stark difference in the Alaska snow I left at home, the forest landscapes in N. Carolina, the Gulf beach in MS, and the praries of TX. Much more to come!
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa314.50
      03-07-2021, 12:23 AM   #95
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Day 5 of Road Trip
Austin, TX - Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Total Miles: 1,689

This was a special day on the trip. I talked about Franklin BBQ yesterday in Austin, TX, which is consistently rated at the top of BBQ in Texas and America. Well, today, I had planned to go to Snow's BBQ, which has multiple times been ranked THE #1 BBQ place in all of Texas. (and therefore, arguably, the world)

I don't like getting up early, so if I do, it's for a good reason. I left Austin while it was still dark, and drove east, watching the sky get lighter in pre-dawn.

Snow's is in Lexington, TX, which is out in the middle of nowhere, 90 minutes east of Austin. Small, little no-stoplight town. The background information of Snow's is also interesting. Miss Tootsie is the 80+ year old pitmaster, working during the week as the janitor at the local school. But Friday nights, she starts working the pits, as Snow's is only open on Saturdays, and only for a few hours until they sell out.

Snow's has been featured recently on a Netflix BBQ special, which I recommend. This is decent too:

There used to be long lines, but I couldn't find anything about how it's changed during COVID. Snow's opens at 8:00 AM, so I got there at 7:15., figuring I wouldn't be first in line, but should be fine.

Nope. When I got there, the line wrapped all the way around the back of the building and parking lot, and across the street. I was #252 in line. Shortly after opening, the owner came out and told my section of line that we were welcome to wait, but likely wouldn't get through the line before they sold out. And if we did wait, it would probably be 5-6 hours.

I was so disheartened. Even if there was a small chance of getting some yummy 'cue, I didn't have the schedule ability to wait an additional 5-6 hours in line. People had started lining up at 3:00 AM. (I know, crazy, right??? What would you do for the best BBQ in the world?) So, with an empty tummy, I waddled back to my car, smelling the tortuously good scents of properly cooked barbecue. Here, you can see Miss Tootsie in red, working her craft.

I can't tell you how depressing this was. Epic fail. To be honest, the biggest reason I oriented my road trip this way through Texas, was to visit Snow's.

I don't have anyone to blame but myself, though, for not getting there even earlier. I at least bought a T-shirt. (they didn't have any that said "Hey, I drove across the country for Snow's bbq, but all I got was this lousy t-shirt). Then, I headed off for Dallas/Ft Worth--even then, nothing was open for food, and had to settle (big time) for Jack In the Box in Waco, TX, when they opened. (sigh)

That's my kind of America, though, and the sort of thing I'm reconnecting with in my country. Get away from the politics, all the drama. Get with good people, in the heartland of America, working for a living in the small towns across the country. Good food. Good stuff.

I picked up my daughter from the DFW airport, and got her arranged with a friend of hers. While they were having fun, I decided to go visit an old friend in the suburb of Arlington, TX, who owns Alamo Autosports, an automotive speed shop. I've worked with him on other cars many years ago, but haven't seen him for 15 years.

Most American gearheads recognize this kind of sight. An automotive speed shop, with lots of cars in various working condition lined up outside down the driveway/alley. Major industrial setting. Shops stuffed with parts and dynos and vehicle lifts and cars buried in shop corners.

I didn't actually do any car mods with him today, but it was fantastic to catch up, and he graciously bought dinner at the nearby Mercury Chophouse. Not including starters, was a 18 oz Ribeye, mushrooms, couple bottles of Cabernet Savignon. Topped off with a slice of peanut butter pie. Very Texan. Very yummy. And good friends to boot.

Sad i missed Snow's BBQ, but the evening made up for it.

So. The official X7 break-in period ended in Austin, and I've been easing her up from there. I just had to, you know, do a few sprints to pass some slower cars on the back roads of Texas going to/from Lexington. And boy, is she really waking up, and showing her chops. Such a great car.

During the break-in period, using mostly Eco Pro mode for the long highway stretches, varying my speed and RPM's, avoiding cruise control, and keeping it below 65 most of the time, I was averaging about 25 mpg. Not bad! I'll take it for a big, heavy V-8. Since Austin, I've dropped to 18 mpg so far, still using Eco Pro for the sustained highway stretches, and using Comfort and Sport modes as needed (ahem... desired) for smaller portions.

Last edited by Wild Blue; 12-19-2021 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 5
Auricom4361.50
jphcbpa314.50
thereef5101165.00
mjn771072.50
      03-07-2021, 12:41 AM   #96
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

My drive from the east coast back to CO was so much fun after crossing the break-in period line. An Audi RS6 and I had a lot of fun through Kansas. The M50i is an impressive car with highway sprinting from 65-1 ... and umm ... something. The RS6 owner was high-fiving me at a rest stop telling me he couldn't believe how fast it could accelerate and with such ease.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 05:13 AM   #97
JF01
Private
Russia
Rep
Drives: a bear

Hey!
Thanks for sharing! That was really interesting to read over a cup of tea, after a tough week. You're a good storyteller.

a little (or not?) question: why did you choose exactly 50i, not 50d for example?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 05:49 AM   #98
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Hi

I was directed to your thread by MashinBenzin over on the UK sub forums.

What an epic trip and story, thank you for taking the time and sharing the details, such a nice distraction from current events!

Looking forward to more posts, especially more pictures and more details

Enjoy your new car and the journey
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #99
polo2883
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF01 View Post
Hey!
Thanks for sharing! That was really interesting to read over a cup of tea, after a tough week. You're a good storyteller.

a little (or not?) question: why did you choose exactly 50i, not 50d for example?
The 50d is not available in the US. The last diesel available in the US was the F15 2018 x5d. I actually own that now and trading it in for a x3 m40i.

Last edited by polo2883; 03-07-2021 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
JF0161.50
      03-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #100
JF01
Private
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo2883 View Post
Quote:
Hey!

The 50d is not available in the US. The last diesel available in the US was the F15 2018 x5d. I actually own that now and trading it in for a x3 m40i.
Whatt?..

Sorry, I'm out of the loop of the US market a little, just checked the website.
How is it possible? I mean, it's like the country with such a large volume of sales do not have a HALF of models ( = engines)?
What's the reason?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #101
polo2883
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey!

Whatt?..

How is it possible? I mean, it's like the country with such a large volume of sales do not have a HALF of models ( = engines)?
What's the reason?
Mercedes, BMW and Audi (including all the related brands) have all stopped selling diesels in the US. After the VW scandal I guess US buyers are not interested anymore. I love my x5d but I just want something more fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #102
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey!

Yeah, good question. The USA car culture here tends to view diesels as being for big cowboy trucks. We do have a few diesel car models here, but not BMW.

The X7 in the USA is currently only available with two engines/models, the 40i and M50i. I was actually somewhat leaning towards the 40i, as it has plenty of power for the X7, and has a history of being a little more reliable engine in the long term. But in MY2021, when BMW slashed a bunch of features across the board, they cut some things from the 40i that are now only available on the M50i, like the B&W audio.

So... since I'm doing it right, and I had saved up enough money, (thankfully the stock market roared back after crashing in the early pandemic) I went with the M50i. All factors considered, the Alpina XB7 isn't quite the fit for me. (or so I tell myself, knowing that if I ever actually drove one, I'd love it)
Appreciate 2
JF0161.50
thereef5101165.00
      03-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #103
JF01
Private
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey!

Whatt?..

What's the reason?
Mercedes, BMW and Audi (including all the related brands) have all stopped selling diesels in the US. After the VW scandal I guess US buyers are not interested anymore. I love my x5d but I just want something more fun.
I never thought that the impact of that scandal would be so strong for the USA. Unbelievable. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #104
JF01
Private
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Hey!

Yeah, good question. The USA car culture here tends to view diesels as being for big cowboy trucks. We do have a few diesel car models here, but not BMW.

The X7 in the USA is currently only available with two engines/models, the 40i and M50i. I was actually somewhat leaning towards the 40i, as it has plenty of power for the X7, and has a history of being a little more reliable engine in the long term. But in MY2021, when BMW slashed a bunch of features across the board, they cut some things from the 40i that are now only available on the M50i, like the B&W audio.

So... since I'm doing it right, and I had saved up enough money, (thankfully the stock market roared back after crashing in the early pandemic) I went with the M50i. All factors considered, the Alpina XB7 isn't quite the fit for me. (or so I tell myself, knowing that if I ever actually drove one, I'd love it)
Matter of fact, we had (or still have?..) pretty much the same car culture here according to diesel engines. But the situation has changed over the last ~10 years and ppl got that even premium cars could have a diesel. Of course, mainly due to MB/Audi/BMW and related brands.

Glad to see you found the car for your soul and pretty sure your 50i will bring you only positive emotions.
Have a nice journey. 😉
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      03-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #105
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

There's also a segment of the US population that is still very hungry for V8s. The bigger and more power, the better. It will be interesting to see how the culture changes over the next 5-10 years.
Appreciate 1
JF0161.50
      03-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #106
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Shame you missed out on Snow's, what an incredible back story. Learning lots from your posts!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #107
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

That is a bummer about Snow's. We ALL can relate to that. Great that you can meet up with an old friend. Must be great to catch up and nothing like a free meal (lol- just kidding)
What did your daughter think of the new toy?
__________________________________________________ ________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
*On order 2021 M304i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. No Nickname as of yet
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #108
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shame you missed out on Snow's, what an incredible back story. Learning lots from your posts!
I know, right? I don't see me getting back to the Austin TX area again anytime soon, so that was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that fell apart. Total bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
That is a bummer about Snow's. We ALL can relate to that. Great that you can meet up with an old friend. Must be great to catch up and nothing like a free meal (lol- just kidding)
What did your daughter think of the new toy?
Oh, she's loving it. From me showing her the assisted driving functions, to blaring her ears out on exceptional music (and then playing Baby Shark for a giggle... she's 17), to the massage seats, she's totally sold on it to. She freaked out when I showed her the height leveling adjustment, while loading the trunk. (boot for my friends)
Appreciate 5
simon.922.00
JF0161.50
djbonsu113.00
      03-07-2021, 11:36 PM   #109
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Day 6 of Road Trip
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX - Oklahoma City, OK
Total Miles: 1,919

Shorter day today, driving up to OK City.

Saw this as I pulled off the highway for a bathroom stop. I chuckle that this is how many in the rest of the world view America, that we're nothing but cowboys and rodeos and 6-shooters and herds of buffalo.

As evidence, I lived in Abu Dhabi for over 3 years. The "Global Village" there is a bit like EPCOT, with areas for countries/regions around the world. Here's their depiction of the Americas:

(seriously)

Started to get my daughter familiar with the car today. She's thoroughly impressed, althought that's probably not terribly hard to do for a 17 year old. At one point, there was a long empty stretch of road, and she was engrossed in her phone. I brought up the speed to a... um... rather high number, then said "hey, look at the speedometer". She shrieked.

It's amazing how smooth and stable the car is. Speeds are so deceptive. If you don't keep an eye on the numbers, you end up at ridiculous speeds at don't even feel it.

I don't usually drive with a radar detector, but thought one would be a good idea for this road trip. Picked up a new Escort Redline 360, with additional M1 dash cam. Pretty sweet, top end of what's available for radar detectors today.

Unfortunately, the Radenso Theia still hasn't been released, as that looks like it'll top everything else on the market today. But this Escort's pretty great. One nice feature is its ability to connect via Wifi to the X7's hotspot, fetching internet data for speed limits, speed traps, threat cloud sharing, etc.

Since I took a week after delivery to protect the car, I didn't want to have any more delays to have the detector hard-wired. And that's not a project I'm currently able to do myself. So unfortunately, I do have the power cable drooping down the dash right now. Feels wrong, in such a pretty car. But so be it.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 7
Auricom4361.50
JF0161.50
MystroX56289.50
chicagofan0019137.00
thereef5101165.00
mjn771072.50
      03-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #110
HC707
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Wild Blue, what a great road trip and storytelling. Your cross country adventure should be the cover story of the next issue of Roundel magazine or better yet, a book! Safe travels!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50