BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Where do you guys store sunglasses?

02-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Where do you guys store sunglasses?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have had sunglasses socket in almost all cars I have owned. I saw that there is no dedicated place to leave sunglasses. Where do you guys generally store the glasses?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
ColJC
Rep
Drives: X7 xDrive40i

Good question. I’ve never found a good place in BMWs. I usually put them in the cup holder and the case and cleaning rags in the center armrest. Not a great solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

What’s wrong with the center console storage area?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

There is a cubby to the left of the steering wheel. My sunglasses fit there.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

At the very front of the spacious drivers door storage bin is a separated area designed for a water bottle. I keep an empty sunglasses case there in all of my BMWs and an extra case in the house. This way, you have a safe place to keep your sunglasses no matter which car you drive and you can leave the cases in the cars because you know you have one in the house.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #6
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
What’s wrong with the center console storage area?
I have OCD and like to keep things and in place. Always had a storage for sunglasses and not happy to leave it in center console

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Does it really fit in there? It had a weird shape. Do you have a pic?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #7
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

At the very front of the spacious drivers door storage bin is a separated area designed for a water bottle. I keep an empty sunglasses case there in all of my BMWs and an extra case in the house. This way, you have a safe place to keep your sunglasses no matter which car you drive and you can leave the cases in the cars because you know you have one in the house.
Not really satisfied with that option either. BTW is that cognac? I am getting my cognac car next week 😁
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:37 PM   #8
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatious View Post
Not really satisfied with that option either. BTW is that cognac? I am getting my cognac car next week ��
Sorry, but that's your best option. I'm an expert at sunglass logistics and you'll just have to trust me. Here are the alternatives:

1. Console Storage Bin: Forget it. It's swept back and not easy to reach in with your right arm. It has a button that opens the compartment with two butterfly doors making it that much more difficult to get a hand in. There is no organization in there, just a big box, stuff slides around.

2. Console Cupholder: Forget it. It will obstruct your ability to get your phone into the wireless charger and your ability to get to the 1-8 shortcut buttons. It'll also hit your knuckles every time you grab the shifter.

3. Glovebox: Forget it. The glovebox is incredibly small for such a large car, and it's not tilted downwards, it has a flat base, so everything you put in there wants to fall in your lap when you open it. And its a long reach.

4. Pocket Change Compartment: Forget it. It's tiny. Unless you have sunglasses that are as flat as a pancake and of flimsy construction, they won't fit in there.

5. Drivers Door Bin: This is the answer. Close to the driver. Easy to get to without looking. Ample space that's divided appropriately. Buy a second case to leave in the car permanently. It's your only option.
Appreciate 2
Russ103300.50
      02-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #9
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, but that's your best option. I'm an expert at sunglass logistics and you'll just have to trust me. Here are the alternatives:

1. Console Storage Bin: Forget it. It's swept back and not easy to reach in with your right arm. It has a button that opens the compartment with two butterfly doors making it that much more difficult to get a hand in. There is no organization in there, just a big box, stuff slides around.

2. Console Cupholder: Forget it. It will obstruct your ability to get your phone into the wireless charger and your ability to get to the 1-8 shortcut buttons. It'll also hit your knuckles every time you grab the shifter.

3. Glovebox: Forget it. The glovebox is incredibly small for such a large car, and it's not tilted downwards, it has a flat base, so everything you put in there wants to fall in your lap when you open it. And its a long reach.

4. Pocket Change Compartment: Forget it. It's tiny. Unless you have sunglasses that are as flat as a pancake and of flimsy construction, they won't fit in there.

5. Drivers Door Bin: This is the answer. Close to the driver. Easy to get to without looking. Ample space that's divided appropriately. Buy a second case to leave in the car permanently. It's your only option.
cool thanks for the detailed explanation, I guess I just gotta get used to it.

I also found this on Amazon. Anyone has experience with this on how good it blends and how convenient it is?
https://www.amazon.com/Sunglasses-Gl.../dp/B07RG9SM8J
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Or how about option #6: Replace the driver side “oh shit” handle with a sunglass holder. You can find them on Amazon or eBay. Below is a pic of mine. Not the best pic, but you can see it in the upper left of the pic. Works very well and blends with the interior as well.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:05 PM   #11
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Or how about option #6: Replace the driver side “oh shit” handle with a sunglass holder. You can find them on Amazon or eBay. Below is a pic of mine. Not the best pic, but you can see it in the upper left of the pic. Works very well and blends with the interior as well.

That seems to be the exact one I posted above this, thanks for the pic
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:39 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL, the X7 is my wife's car, she drives it 90% of the time. That "oh shit" would be me as my $300 Ray Ban's hit the concrete garage floor as she reaches for the handle that's not there. She uses that handle to get in/out, rather petite you see.
Appreciate 3
jmciver1823.50
sahajesh2290.00
Russ103300.50
      02-22-2021, 12:17 AM   #13
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
What's wrong with the center console storage area?
I have OCD and like to keep things and in place. Always had a storage for sunglasses and not happy to leave it in center console

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Yes, the cubby to the left is a nice place to keep your shades. I keep mine and my youngest's glasses in there. It's great.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:20 AM   #14
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL, the X7 is my wife's car, she drives it 90% of the time. That "oh shit" would be me as my $300 Ray Ban's hit the concrete garage floor as she reaches for the handle that's not there. She uses that handle to get in/out, rather petite you see.
I guess it depends on whether you ever use that handle, even if you rarely use the handle, the option #6 should not be used. I personally never use that handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Yes, it's a nice place to keep your shades. I keep mine and my youngest's glasses in there. It's great.
I will give that a shot, before going for the “oh shit” handle storage option
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:35 AM   #15
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Tint your front windshield with Stratos 70 and you won’t need sunglasses.

Or just slide them inbetween the sun visor and headliner. May or may not work depending on type of frames.

Here’s a pic of my mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:56 AM   #16
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Tint your front windshield with Stratos 70 and you won’t need sunglasses.

Or just slide them inbetween the sun visor and headliner. May or may not work depending on type of frames.

Here’s a pic of my mine.
There are visor sunglasses holders in various styles and colors if you want to go visor route. They come in cases or clips too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P2454XH...TK75PN7VZT7SQP
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #17
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:

lol ocd. Everyone has ocd or some other acronym these days. Put em in the center console you’ll be ok. 😎
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #18
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol ocd. Everyone has ocd or some other acronym these days. Put em in the center console you’ll be ok. ��

If he puts them in the center console, they need to be in a case or they'll slide all over the place in that unlined plastic cube, so he might as well go with the easier to reach and closer option which is the driver's side in-door bin.

It would put his sunglasses right at his knee. No need to push an armrest button, no need to lift a glovebox latch. Once the decision is made to use a sunglass case in the car, the driver's side in-door bin becomes the best option. It's nice and deep and shaped perfectly to hold something the size and shape of sunglass cases.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #19
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:

If he puts them in the center console, they need to be in a case or they'll slide all over the place in that unlined plastic cube, so he might as well go with the easier to reach and closer option which is the driver's side in-door bin.

It would put his sunglasses right at his knee. No need to push an armrest button, no need to lift a glovebox latch. Once the decision is made to use a sunglass case in the car, the driver's side in-door bin becomes the best option. It's nice and deep and shaped perfectly to hold something the size and shape of sunglass cases.
In a case in the larger door pocket for me. It's rare that I'm in the X7 without a bottle of water, so regularly jam a nice heavy kleen kanteen into the bottle holder.
      02-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #20
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Clearly this is a personal preference. But FWIW, after driving in my X7 for several months, using all of the different locations mentioned, the "oh shit" handle location proved to be the best, and most natural location to me for sunglasses. I actually have this same mod on my M3 so I am surprised it took so long for me to do it on the X7. I really wanted to like using the small "gun compartment" on the lower left of the steering wheel. But even that location didn't seem natural for sunglass storage and was more cumbersome. I know, first world problems ...

So if you don't need to use the driver side OS handle to get in/out of your X7 (and your OCD can't handle using the sun visor for sunglass storage), my recommendation goes for the OS handle location. It is very easy to install, very convenient, does not require messing with a case, and blends in well with the interior (in particular black). Hell, BMW used to offer this as an option on the E9x 3-series chassis. The only other thing to consider with this option is the size of your sunglasses. Most will fit just fine. But larger ones, like some Ray Bans, may not fit as well based on what some have reported.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #21
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So if you don't need to use the driver side OS handle to get in/out of your X7 , my recommendation goes for the OS handle location.
So I'm giving this some consideration, but does the door stay open or does it immediately want to close?

I ask because half the time I use my sunglasses case in the car its because the sun has gone down and I don't need glasses anymore. So as I'm driving on the highway I take them off.

When I have a separate case, I can open it, put it on my lap, take off the glasses, put them in the case, and put the case in the door pocket. Easy and safe.

But with this door handle replacement case, it looks like the lid is on a spring and wants to close itself as soon as its opened. So I ask, how can you open it, take off your glasses, and put them in there while driving? Doesn't look like it can be done one-handed because the lid won't stay open.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #22
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
So if you don't need to use the driver side OS handle to get in/out of your X7 , my recommendation goes for the OS handle location.
So I'm giving this some consideration, but does the door stay open or does it immediately want to close?

I ask because half the time I use my sunglasses case in the car its because the sun has gone down and I don't need glasses anymore. So as I'm driving on the highway I take them off.

When I have a separate case, I can open it, put it on my lap, take off the glasses, put them in the case, and put the case in the door pocket. Easy and safe.

But with this door handle replacement case, it looks like the lid is on a spring and wants to close itself as soon as its opened. So I ask, how can you open it, take off your glasses, and put them in there while driving? Doesn't look like it can be done one-handed because the lid won't stay open.
The case is "lightly" spring loaded, but a one-handed operation to take off or put on your glasses while driving is not difficult. It may take a bit of practice, but unless you have severe coordination issues, it should not be a problem and you will have it figured out after a few try's . But then, if you are worried about the one-handed operation, you could always let the X7 drive for you for the few seconds you might have both hands off the wheel. I can neither confirm nor deny that I have done that when taking off or putting on my sunglasses in my X7 ...

Appreciate 1
toddwalton1240.50