06-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Lease end dilemma

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So our 2019 X7 40i M sport will be coming to an end.
I’ve thought about getting a new X7 or X5 but as I’ve looked around the country, the pickings are slim due to global shortages, etc. We can get another X7 but it’s been a challenge to find color and options.

I know I can sell to Carmax or Carvana and probably pocket some cash but our X7 is pretty loaded with RES, cooling seats, etc. I think the only thing it’s missing is the skylight led option

As the X7 gets older, concern with maintenance expenses. Already a few things were covered under warranty that would probably cost a good deal out of warranty. Add to the fact that the wife thinks it still drives like a boat because it’s big. Kids love it though. Rear storage when 3rd row seats are up is a bit small.

New tires every 20k miles
Brakes at 30k
This is pretty heavy vehicle and I guess wears those down faster. Boggles me but it is what it is.

Wondering if should just buy out and keep it or try to order an X5 and hope for the best? Even at this point, would consider an Audi Q8 or Merc GLE

What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

I think all the manufacturers are dealing with the shortage. I would buy it out since it sounds like you have a bit of equity in it. Could always get an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
This will probably be the ONLY time you’ll be on the good end of selling a BMW coming out of a lease. I would definitely recommend selling the vehicle outright or rolling equity into a new purchase(not lease). I’m selling my x7 to the dealership and ordering another x7 even though I still have 15 months left on the lease bc they offered me good money (better than carvana who didn’t even reply back to the appraisal inquiry or Carmax who gave me a few thousand less than Bmw dealership). Sometimes the Carmax guys are clueless when it comes to the packages and it affects their offers.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Thanks for feedback so far. Reason for not purchasing is because the wife has a hard time with keeping vehicles so we’ve leased.

I have been getting bombarded with emails and mailings from my servicing dealer about buying this from me etc. but I haven’t had the time to go there and play the game.

Carvana interestingly never got back with me either. They need me to come in and according to CarMax, I’d be able to get about $5-7k over buyout.

I wonder since this seems to work both ways, if I try to roll the equity, I’d imagine I’ll be paying more for what I want since the shortages are real and a lot of dealers are using that to stick closer to MSRP+
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #5
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Thanks for feedback so far. Reason for not purchasing is because the wife has a hard time with keeping vehicles so we’ve leased.

I have been getting bombarded with emails and mailings from my servicing dealer about buying this from me etc. but I haven’t had the time to go there and play the game.

Carvana interestingly never got back with me either. They need me to come in and according to CarMax, I’d be able to get about $5-7k over buyout.

I wonder since this seems to work both ways, if I try to roll the equity, I’d imagine I’ll be paying more for what I want since the shortages are real and a lot of dealers are using that to stick closer to MSRP+
Try vroom, they are horrible to deal with, but legit and paying a premium vs. most other dealers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Try vroom, they are horrible to deal with, but legit and paying a premium vs. most other dealers
I had no luck with vroom. They just ignored me after a mistake first offer. Dealership giving me 12k over buy out and just easier to deal with. Plus he’s giving me that price based on buying it when my build is complete
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Wow 12k over buyout?! That’s awesome. Would they have offered the same if you just wanted cash out?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:59 PM   #8
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Wow 12k over buyout?! That’s awesome. Would they have offered the same if you just wanted cash out?
That's what I'm wondering.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:50 AM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

A delimma indeed. Difficult current conditions. It'd be tough to pass up a really good buyout offer if you got it. But if you do sell, yes, you're (1) looking at shortages and delays to lease or buy anything else, and (2) you're going to find the same supply issues with every other manufacturer out there.

So unless you find a sweet deal to get out of your car AND into a new one, if it were me, I'd just stay in the car you have, particularly since you're happy with it.

In this kind of market, if you've got a good setup, I believe it's best to sit and wait it out.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
No matter when and what new car to get the next, trade in your lease to Vroom, Carvana, Shift, or dealership to get positive equity first. If you have something else to drive, wait a few months for supply to recover but possibly new car cost will up permanently since trillions of USD been printed to stimulate
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I’m cashing out the equity. Then I’m buying another x7. The best part of the deal is he’s giving me that price for my car based on 8 weeks to get the new x7. I had a deal on the table for an sq7 Instead but they were giving me 3 grand less for my x7. Carmax gave me the same as Audi. Again, I’m in a unique situation in that I know the gm of the dealership and they’re giving me 10% off a new build plus for incentives. I also like the x7 so much to purchase this time rather than lease so it’ll qualify for section 179 deduction through the business. Otherwise it wouldn’t make much sense to cash out equity only to pay full sticker or close to that for a new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
A year ago BMW offered me a 6 month lease extension when I was having difficulty finding or ordering the replacement I wanted.

This would buy you more time. Things may be different in December.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #13
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Update:
We we ended up selling (in the final process) selling to Vroom. Vroom offered about $3k more than Carmax and also because of my business travel, they were more convenient since Carmax required me to be there only on M-F’s due to it being a lease.

Main factors:
- We really didn’t need this large of a vehicle. I got it to haul the family around plus my parents who have since passed so was more of a luxury than an necessity

- The new vehicles are going electric. I’m looking more towards getting a Tesla Y or maybe a X5 electric when they come out if we wait that long

- we figured that this market is nuts both ways. If someone is willing to pay more, might as well sell. Would be different if we had to have a replacement but we already have several cars in our stable

Hopefully this Vroom thing goes as good as I’m reading about.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #14
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Update:
We we ended up selling (in the final process) selling to Vroom. Vroom offered about $3k more than Carmax and also because of my business travel, they were more convenient since Carmax required me to be there only on M-F’s due to it being a lease.

Main factors:
- We really didn’t need this large of a vehicle. I got it to haul the family around plus my parents who have since passed so was more of a luxury than an necessity

- The new vehicles are going electric. I’m looking more towards getting a Tesla Y or maybe a X5 electric when they come out if we wait that long

- we figured that this market is nuts both ways. If someone is willing to pay more, might as well sell. Would be different if we had to have a replacement but we already have several cars in our stable

Hopefully this Vroom thing goes as good as I’m reading about.
I sold my Durango SRT to Vroom in June and it went fine. Took a week to get paid vs. 3 business days but it all worked out with no surprises. Good luck.
Appreciate 0