E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bug? Climate Control LCD screen very dim...

02-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

Bug? Climate Control LCD screen very dim...

So, I got into my car tonight, unlocked using CA. The lights were set to the 'Auto' position, they turned on when the engine started as it was dark. I drove off.

Then I noticed that the LCD screen in the climate control was extremely dim, the backlight behind the buttons on the unit was at normal brightness... only the screen showing the temperature was dim.

I tried a few things... adjusting the overall dash brightness using the control stalk, stopped the car turned off the engine, start it again, turned off the engine and accessory power and restarted. The screen was still very dim. At that point I thought it must be a diode that has failed in the unit and I would have to go through the pain of getting the dealer to fix/replace the headunit under warranty.

Well, I arrived home got out of the car, locked it using CA, left it a few moments, unlocked it again, started the engine and this time the screen came out at full brightness.

Make me think it was a software bug or electronic glitch rather that real hardware failure. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Has anyone else seen this?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Same thing has happened to me several times. It has even happened after CIP 20. who knows?

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

Thanks!
The fact that others have seen it seems to indicate that it is some kind of bug. Hopefully, it's software so that they can fix it as some stage in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
climkt
Bimmer Manual all the way
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e90 320i manual

not happened to me yet. anybody ever accidentally pushed the control stick for the indicators to find one of your parking lights switched on inadvertently?
may be a potential cause for a flat battery on the e90!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by climkt
not happened to me yet. anybody ever accidentally pushed the control stick for the indicators to find one of your parking lights switched on inadvertently?
may be a potential cause for a flat battery on the e90!
Yes, one day I came in the house and wondered why only the rear right light was on.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
TYW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: - 335i Coupe - Monaco / Saddle

"...LCD screen in the climate control was extremely dim..."

Yes, happend once at about 1300 miles. It has not happend since then in about 1000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
gglekel
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyobrien
So, I got into my car tonight, unlocked using CA. The lights were set to the 'Auto' position, they turned on when the engine started as it was dark. I drove off.

Then I noticed that the LCD screen in the climate control was extremely dim, the backlight behind the buttons on the unit was at normal brightness... only the screen showing the temperature was dim.

I tried a few things... adjusting the overall dash brightness using the control stalk, stopped the car turned off the engine, start it again, turned off the engine and accessory power and restarted. The screen was still very dim. At that point I thought it must be a diode that has failed in the unit and I would have to go through the pain of getting the dealer to fix/replace the headunit under warranty.

Well, I arrived home got out of the car, locked it using CA, left it a few moments, unlocked it again, started the engine and this time the screen came out at full brightness.

Make me think it was a software bug or electronic glitch rather that real hardware failure. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Has anyone else seen this?

Same here. Noticed it a few times so far, but it's not a big enough problem yet to waste time going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

No problem with any screen in my car. Hope it doesn't happen to you again.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Welcome to the strange world of odd electrical demons on BMWs... While I haven't had the problem mentioned on my E90, sure had the same thing on my E46.

Seen one time, and one time only, in 5 years.

Based on that track record, I'm not expecting a fix.
Appreciate 0