BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Slow leak in the left front tire

04-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Slow leak in the left front tire

22 run flat Continentals. The X7 is two months old. Dealer told me they don't fix run flats. $575 to replace. Can get me in possibly tomorrow. Have to order the tire.

Thoughts?
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Check with local tire shop. I've had several run flats patched by local tire shops that dealer would not touch. All of them have gone on to work fine for the rest of their useful life.
Had one done a few months ago on the wife's X3. Cost $25 at a local small tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

I had the same thing happen last year. I told the BMW dealer I had a lower price form a local tire shop and they matched it. I think I ended up around $445. Their price is pretty outrageous. The info is here:
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652974
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Manufacturer and dealer do not recommend patching or plugging an RFT. Dealers in this area will not patch or plug. Tire shops will easily and gladly take your money for a plug or patch. I do not know if it effects integrity and or reliability but I do know that loved ones are in the car and a new replacement tire is small price to pay for peace of mind considering the alternative. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

It depends on why there's a slow leek. Did they find the culprit? Is it a nail or is it from a bent rim? Depending on location of a puncture, patching runlets can go well. If the hole is on the sidewall though, definitely no patch
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

This exactly why I will NEVER put run flat tires on any of my vehicles!

As far as I'm concerned the only reason they even exist is because these cheap ass manufacturers don't want to provide a "REAL" spare tire. A real spare tire will reduce their freaking precious "nth" of a mile per gallon statistics.

This all started many years ago when auto manufactures introduced the mini spare. Another "Epic Fail" just to save a freaking dime. Unfortunately, BMW and most of the other auto manufactures have resorted to mini spares only or no damn spare at all!

Fortunately for me I still drive my Toyota Avalon which has a full size spare tire with the exact same aluminum wheel that's on the rest of the tires. And guess how many times I've had to use that spare tire? At least 4 times! I am very thankful that my Avalon has that full size spare.

I'm old school and can change a tire myself. For those that can't just call AAA or whomever you use for road side assistance and they come right out and change it for you. Then you're on your way driving full speed ahead until you get to a place where you can have the tire repaired.

Not so with today's vehicles. If you get a flat or your run flat can't be driven on any more your only option is have your car towed somewhere where you get to buy a new tire.

Rant Off!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Check with Continental as you may be able to get the tire replaced since it is still new. Most tire manufacturers have some type of road hazard warranty on new tires within the first 6 to 12 months of purchase. Some caveats may apply since the tire was purchased on a new vehicle. But considering Continental "officially" does not recommend/support repairs to RFT's there is a good chance that they would honor a replacement under their standard 12 month road hazard warranty. It is worth a shot.

Oh, and I am "old school" like mitch57 above when it comes to spare tires and RFTs, too. When the time comes, I will replace the RFTs that came with my X7 with non-RFTs. And even though the X7 is only capable of a space saver spare (mine did not come with one unfortunately), I plan to retro-fit one in the not too distant future (and well before my current RFT need replacing)....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

I guess you took it to the dealer. Would be nice to see what the issue was with the tire (or rim). Is it a puncture or another issue? Valve stem issue, rim issue, etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

If you have OEM Pirellis'. Had mine covered under warranty by my dealer when I got a bolt and then rapid air pressure release in my tire last week on the ExpressLane. Grateful for optioning the spare tire:

Credit LexxM3 on G05
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25328563

Below are links to both US and Canada Pirelli warranties. The Road Hazard statement for US (identical to Canada) is quoted here:

[COLOR="Blue"]"Road Hazard Coverage for Run Flat and Pirelli Noise Canceling System (PNCS) Tires

Pirelli Run Flat tires are manufactured with technology that allows limited low-inflation operation in the event of sudden loss of pressure. As a result, in addition to the standard warranty coverage, Pirelli provides road hazard coverage on both Pirelli Original Equipment Tires and Replacement Tires manufactured with Pirelli Run Flat or PNCS technology.

If a Run Flat or PNCS tire becomes unserviceable due to road hazard damage within the first year from the date of purchase, or within the first 2/32" of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the Pirelli tire will be replaced with an identical or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner, including mounting and balancing (subject to applicable limitations)."[/COLOR]

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/.../tire-warranty

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-ca/.../tire-warranty
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
SRL311U
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, G07

Also, for what it is worth, if you can't get it plugged, you may want to try www.bestusedtires.com. I know this sounds wild, but I have sometimes used them for lease turn-ins. They ship a used tire to you door and guarantee that it matches what they advertised. I got the name from my local tire shop after needing one for a lease turn in. CrossContact LX is about $85, by way of example.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
This exactly why I will NEVER put run flat tires on any of my vehicles!

As far as I'm concerned the only reason they even exist is because these cheap ass manufacturers don't want to provide a "REAL" spare tire. A real spare tire will reduce their freaking precious "nth" of a mile per gallon statistics.

This all started many years ago when auto manufactures introduced the mini spare. Another "Epic Fail" just to save a freaking dime. Unfortunately, BMW and most of the other auto manufactures have resorted to mini spares only or no damn spare at all!

Fortunately for me I still drive my Toyota Avalon which has a full size spare tire with the exact same aluminum wheel that's on the rest of the tires. And guess how many times I've had to use that spare tire? At least 4 times! I am very thankful that my Avalon has that full size spare.

I'm old school and can change a tire myself. For those that can't just call AAA or whomever you use for road side assistance and they come right out and change it for you. Then you're on your way driving full speed ahead until you get to a place where you can have the tire repaired.

Not so with today's vehicles. If you get a flat or your run flat can't be driven on any more your only option is have your car towed somewhere where you get to buy a new tire.

Rant Off!
I travel a lot and my wife drives the X7 daily, I want to make sure if she gets punctured she can get back home and then we call the repair. For me this is not a bad deal with RTFs for piece of mind. We live in MN so imagine changing tire at -10F, no thanks.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
I travel a lot and my wife drives the X7 daily, I want to make sure if she gets punctured she can get back home and then we call the repair. For me this is not a bad deal with RTFs for piece of mind. We live in MN so imagine changing tire at -10F, no thanks.
That's why you call AAA or BMW to come change it for you.

What is your wife going to do when the side wall on the run flat gets punctured and she can't drive on the run flat? With no spare tire she would be stranded.

If I were forced to drive on run flats I would make sure I had a spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #13
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:

What is your wife going to do when the side wall on the run flat gets punctured and she can't drive on the run flat? With no spare tire she would be stranded.

I hit a pothole hard and split the sidewall end to end on a runflat with my 4 series, it was still driveable. I happened to have the wheel and tire protection package on that car, so I gave BMW roadside a call since I didn't feel it would be driveable with how bad it was and let them make the call (I could hear it flapping while driving). They told me to continue on since it was 10PM and 20 degrees out, I went on side roads with the window cracked to hear if it got worse and didn't go over 35, but had to travel a good 15 miles to drop it off at the dealer and experienced no additional issues.

I probably wouldn't go as far with a tire that bad in a car as heavy as the X7, but would feel comfortable getting off a highway into a safe area, have that fancy mobility kit/fix-a-flat just in case.

Also FWIW, I have non-rft on my M3 and also no spare. Living on the edge, I wouldn't let the fix-a-flat touch those wheels either.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post

You know we drive short distances, I do not think it matters where the puncture is, the tire behaves same way it is like with F1 they have very stiff walls and puncture makes no difference.

If she could not drive then she would call AAA or BMW this option always exist.
Appreciate 0