BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Feel for overall reliability and tendency towards issues?

01-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
robininni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X535d (sold)

Feel for overall reliability and tendency towards issues?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've got an x7 m50i on order but production hasn't started. I'm a little concerned with a few things I've read about people having repeated issues with the check engine light coming on, Apple iplay issues, and a couple other things I've read.

I went through a terrible ordeal with a loaded 2017 Ford F350 that I finally traded but it should have been lemoned in Texas. Ford was just not willing to do it and I didn't want to go through the legal hassle of trying to force it. Basically though the dealership had my ford more than me in the last few months just before it was 2 years old. It never got fixed permanently--the elusive electrical gremlins always came back.

The X7 is new, starting in 2019 so I am a bit hesitant based on being a new model already, but then I read some of these stories and I just wonder how isolated these problems are.

My BMW dealership for service is about an hour and 20 minutes away from me (I live in a rural town about an hour from Fort Worth) so having issues and making numerous trips to the dealer for such would be a crisis for me for sure.

Any guidance or just how reliable and trouble free these x7 autos are? Specifically the m50i? I know this just came out for 2020 so am I making a large gamble getting one now?

Does BMW take good care of its customers (unlike I found Ford to do)? Will a dealership treat me well service wise even if I bought the auto elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

i got an april 19 delivery and have had zero issues. some connected app nonsense that has since resolved, but nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Agreed. I have had mine since last may. All cars have quirks. Nothing is going to be perfect. I have had minor (not real world issues) with my lights not shutting off. But the car is great. I had a Tesla X before this for less than 4 months. I couldnt stand all the issues it had for the money we paid. I wish they would make the X7 electric, and hopefully we will have that some day. But things work on this car. Not many have Bluetooth CarPlay. Or CarPlay at all ( uh em tesla ). Not many have massage seats and plush textures. The ambient lighting is amazing.

Only problem has been lights and it's an easy fix with a lock of the doors.

I hope you enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
MMM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X7, 2019 Tundra,

Our x7 has been fine but it’s only been a couple of months. I had the check engine light stay on for a day and a half. I took it in and they said the active grill motor was not working. They were about to order a new motor when the tech found an acorn lodged in the shutter! Lucky break I guess. Car and service have been great.
2007 Tundra
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
Knock on wood no issues. It’s been stellar
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

We a had a few minor trim issues, but no powertrain or infotainment issues. just get it, it's nice, quick and comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

Sounds like we have a little in common. I had a '17 F-250 Lariat Ultimate diesel, early build, and the transmission burnt up due to the faulty cooler lines (Ford recall issue/repaired under warranty) and the moonroof tracks breaking. Sold it to my son in April of '18 & bought an F-350 Platinum diesel. No problems with this one. Bought my wife a '19 X7 in May and we have put over 12k trouble free miles on it. By the time we get home from our trip Monday we will have over 13k on it. This is my first BMW and I am very pleased and would not hesitate to buy another one.
Appreciate 0