BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Apple Carplay vs. Android Auto in a 2023 BMW X7 m60i

01-31-2023, 03:53 PM   #1
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS430

Garage List
Apple Carplay vs. Android Auto in a 2023 BMW X7 m60i

After months using Apple Carplay, I added Android Auto today with a Samsung S22 Ultra. The iPhone 14 Pro Max had been my EDC.

Main reason was I needed the iPhone to record some dashcam video footage. Carplay cannot run in the background.

Right away, I noticed Apple iTunes worked much better with the Samsung S22 Ultra. I had been getting pauses and drops with Apple Music lossless with the iPhone 14 Pro Max, but not with the S22 Ultra running the latest Google build. This is odd.

Hey Google worked quicker vs. Hey Siri.

That's all for now.
Appreciate 3
jeep71.00
blutob2283.00
      02-01-2023, 06:34 AM   #2
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Thanks for the feedback, I had been considering picking up an android phone to have google maps native on the hud as it only works with android auto. Not a big fan of Apple maps. How does the rest of the experience compare?
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 07:42 AM   #3
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiumeister View Post
After months using Apple Carplay, I added Android Auto today with a Samsung S22 Ultra. The iPhone 14 Pro Max had been my EDC.

Main reason was I needed the iPhone to record some dashcam video footage. Carplay cannot run in the background.

Right away, I noticed Apple iTunes worked much better with the Samsung S22 Ultra. I had been getting pauses and drops with Apple Music lossless with the iPhone 14 Pro Max, but not with the S22 Ultra running the latest Google build. This is odd.

Hey Google worked quicker vs. Hey Siri.

That's all for now.
Yes, Android is better than iPhone. I made the switch many, many years ago. However, I had to use iPhone and iPad for work and absolutely hated it. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I had been considering picking up an android phone to have google maps native on the hud as it only works with android auto. Not a big fan of Apple maps. How does the rest of the experience compare?
I never realized that Android projects native maps on HUD!!. Is this for pre-LCI or LCI? I just convinced my wife to switch from Android to iphone a month ago, lol. One convincing point that with Iphone she gets at least directions suggestions on the HUD. I did not know that Android even has better use by projecting full map via google map! Can you confirm or share a photo (again is that for LCI or preLCI)?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:20 AM   #5
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I will test out the Google maps functionality Friday
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:20 AM   #6
TechCTU
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I never realized that Android projects native maps on HUD!!. Is this for pre-LCI or LCI? I just convinced my wife to switch from Android to iphone a month ago, lol. One convincing point that with Iphone she gets at least directions suggestions on the HUD. I did not know that Android even has better use by projecting full map via google map! Can you confirm or share a photo (again is that for LCI or preLCI)?
It's part of LCI or specifically OS 8.

Currently working in my iX. The only issue it's native map only, meaning if you have apple, it shows apple maps in hud as well as nav. You can't have apple phone and have google maps show in hud.

I do like apple maps for one feature as it pairs with my apple watch on directions, so my watch vibrates before each turn. Helpful for going places you are not familiar with.

Same one map option with android, no waze though.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #7
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will do these later this week, I am pretty sure nothing on my 2023 BMW X7 m60i LCI HUD changed with Android Auto over Apple Carplay. But we'll confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #8
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Yes, Android is better than iPhone. I made the switch many, many years ago. However, I had to use iPhone and iPad for work and absolutely hated it. That is all.
Seems to connect and stayed connected better with the S22 Ultra and Android Auto vs. 14PM and Apple Carplay.
But 4K HDR video with S22 Ultra was not good, as dashcam. Over sharpened (which user cannot set) and a bit too much rolling shutter.
Here, the 14PM was solid.

So, I will be using Android Auto with S22 Ultra and the 14PM as dashcam for my long scenic trips.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #9
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
It's part of LCI or specifically OS 8.

Currently working in my iX. The only issue it's native map only, meaning if you have apple, it shows apple maps in hud as well as nav. You can't have apple phone and have google maps show in hud.

I do like apple maps for one feature as it pairs with my apple watch on directions, so my watch vibrates before each turn. Helpful for going places you are not familiar with.

Same one map option with android, no waze though.
Android and Google Maps pairs with my Samsung Watch too

Does Apple maps show speed traps, stalled cars, and other driver reports? Google does which is great but I don't have experience with Apple other than my son's car and I never have seen those on there.

Also, I think Google has made drastic improvements to its routing over the year and even takes into account traffic lights. I think it's now better than Waze honestly.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU782.00
      02-01-2023, 11:49 AM   #10
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Does Apple maps show speed traps, stalled cars, and other driver reports? Google does which is great but I don't have experience with Apple other than my son's car and I never have seen those on there.

Also, I think Google has made drastic improvements to its routing over the year and even takes into account traffic lights. I think it's now better than Waze honestly.
Yes. Apple maps show red light camera, speed traps, uneven surfaces on the instrument cluster display. on the right. (will check if Google Maps does that .....)

Here in NYC, these features literally save me a lot of money. They now have 25 mph street cameras everywhere.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #11
TechCTU
Major
Rep

Quote:

Apple maps is not there yet. I prefer google maps as well.

I do like the VR functionality in OS8 so I have been trying to use that. I am building up my confidence in OS8 Nav and it's routes seem to predict traffic well.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-01-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
ddv2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
I was surprised today that I had directions from google maps on HUD. Also if you select navigation view on Instrumental display it show google map too!!! It is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #13
ddv2005
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiumeister View Post
Yes. Apple maps show red light camera, speed traps, uneven surfaces on the instrument cluster display. on the right. (will check if Google Maps does that .....)

Here in NYC, these features literally save me a lot of money. They now have 25 mph street cameras everywhere.
Are you sure that it is Apple maps but not BMW Traffic camera subscription? Because I have Android and BMW shows me the same information in HUD from BMW Traffic camera subscription. Google maps has few traffic cameras but not all.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 12:21 PM   #14
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv2005 View Post
Are you sure that it is Apple maps but not BMW Traffic camera subscription? Because I have Android and BMW shows me the same information in HUD from BMW Traffic camera subscription. Google maps has few traffic cameras but not all.
That's a good observation, as BMW has these features but after 1 year, they will charge for red light, speed traps, etc. for the built-in BMW NAV.

I'm not certain on the Apple Maps integration part with the IC display info. What I do know is Apple Siri voice often speaks the traps, speed limits ahead, alongside the IC info pop-up.

Since, the advanced HUD is not integrated yet with Carplay, Apple Maps. I lean thinking the IC info may not be Apple Maps'.

All these digital complexities do take away the raw joy of just driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 12:51 PM   #15
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
My car is pre lci and it does projects maps on HUD with iPhone, in my case carplay way superior than android…
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:02 PM   #16
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
You think a PC is better than a Mac too?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:13 PM   #17
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
My car is pre lci and it does projects maps on HUD with iPhone, in my case carplay way superior than android…
Wow, mine LCI and with latest iDrive 8 11/2022.44 I don’t see maps on HUD if I use Apple Maps with CarPlay (I do see maps if I use native maps) instead I just get street name and arrows in HUD
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:22 PM   #18
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
You think a PC is better than a Mac too?
Never used a Mac, well a few times in the military but that's it. But other than work, I don't spend much time on a computer.

Anyways, sorry I always felt Apple was way too restrictive. I hate iTunes, etc. For 3 years, I had iPhone as my work phone (military) and always had the Galaxy as my personal phone. The camera on the S21 Ultra is absolutely amazing. I was taking shots of the moon recently and an iphone user behind me in the stands was absolutely dumbfounded and pissed their iPhone couldn't even come close. My kids have iPhones too so I'm still somewhat smart on the differences. I think new and better features make it to Android first and I can't recall how many times people/family/friends see what I can do with my phone versus their iPhone.

Both have their disadvantages and advantages. I'm sure there are no doubt better features with the iPhone but I bet for every one you state, I can do the same for my Galaxy.

I'm not trying to get into an Android vs iPhone debate. I can honestly care less and funny thing, I don't even use AA when I drive. I find the BMW nav and traffic to be very close and haven't had a major issue for over a year and 18K miles driving it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #19
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritu_o0o View Post
Wow, mine LCI and with latest iDrive 8 11/2022.44 I don’t see maps on HUD if I use Apple Maps with CarPlay (I do see maps if I use native maps) instead I just get street name and arrows in HUD
That’s why I avoided LCI, no adaptive lights, nor Laser option, missing comfort access components, gufy stretched tablet, plus ton of issues people are reporting.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 09:37 PM   #20
BMWFantastic85
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Apple Maps uses Yelp for their reviews. Yelp is a horrible business with highly immoral business practices. I prefer Google Maps for its superior primary features and also because it has the best, most accurate customer reviews.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #21
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
No change to the 2023 BMW X7 m60i latest xDrive system, as of Feb 3, 2023
on both instrument cluster display behind steering wheel or the HUD.

See videos below, Airplay vs. Android Auto park and while using Assisted Drive.

Android Auto while using Assisted Driving mode
Appreciate 1