BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 80 mpg mustang? 500 lbft and 400hp?!

07-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

80 mpg mustang? 500 lbft and 400hp?!

http://www.mustangevolution.com/20080702712/

Quote:
Press Release
Doug Pelmear has lots of secrets beneath the hood of his black 1987 Ford Mustang on which the only outward hint of individuality is a series of stickers.

But looks can be deceiving. Mr. Pelmear’s 21-year-old pony car has enough technological innovation to quadruple the classic Mustang’s original gas mileage while almost doubling its available horsepower.

That’s 80 miles per gallon and 400 horsepower, folks. And the 48-year-old electronics engineer and master mechanic is not done yet.

The third-generation automotive tinkerer hopes that next year his Mustang - more specifically its engine - will help him win the $10 million Progressive Automotive X Prize: a “race” to find an affordable, marketable automobile that gets at least 100 miles per gallon, or its equivalent.

“I’m an optimist, and I think people need to know there is hope out there,” Mr. Pelmear said. “That’s why I decided to enter the X Prize race. I could have sold this [technology] off, but then people might not have seen it.

“It’s not about the money. Our country really needs this.”

The Progressive Automotive X Prize is sponsored by the X Prize Foundation to focus attention on and improve technology for real-world fuel economy.

Private teams compete in two categories, mainstream and concept, and compete against one another in a staged race that will judge performance, fuel economy, and marketability. There are no official entrants yet, but scores of teams have signed letters of intent to participate in the races, scheduled for 2009.

What radical technology did Mr. Pelmear introduce? His patents are not fully in place, but he said it mostly is a matter of electronics and precision.

“We redesigned a lot of different things on the [engine] block,” the engineer said.

“It’s still a rod-and-piston engine; it just has a lot more electronics on it.”

Mr. Pelmear said that traditional gas engines operate “at a very low efficiency, like 8 to 10 percent, and our engine is like at 38 percent efficiency.”

He said he could greatly increase even that number if his car used traditional gasoline instead of a mix of gas and 85 percent ethanol, which burns hotter but releases fewer hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

His engine also would be more efficient if he had sacrificed some of its 400 horsepower or 500 foot-pounds of torque, but Mr. Pelmear said his design is intended for “real-world” uses, not the laboratory.

“I’m not the highest-miles-per-gallon vehicle entered in the X Prize, but I think I’m the more consumer friendly, more down to earth, more conventional,” he said.

Mr. Pelmear’s Mustang is entered in the X Prize’s “mainstream” competition against other modified pro-
duction cars.

According to the X Prize foundation, he will compete against several dozen other vehicles from around the world.

sorry if its a repost
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Snake oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Snake oil.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #4