BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Saw one in person

08-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #67
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca8302 View Post
I would like Ambient Air if still offered, but wouldn't get night vision or rear sear entertainment. I've seen all the current models and prior models, and don't see any build material cutbacks. Am guessing almost all the part numbers are all the same. Either way, I like the old style and the new style. I waited to order the M60 over taking a build slot for the M50, but the old car looks nice too. I assume the new model will do fine and build on the sales success of the current model and once the G07 is done, there will have been more V2's sold than V1's. As a side note, I will have my eye on if Porsche does a 3 row SUV as IMO their build quality is a step up from BMW. I've gone back and forth for years on a Cayenne vs G05 vs G07. I have a 2019 G05 with every option other than night vision and rear seat entertainment.
Oddly enough Porsche still can source the night vision option. Porsche also was having parts issue but not nearly like their Audi/VW relatives. Porsche was held higher in the family because their option list is so extensive and bespoke they were not deprived the cutbacks as the others. VW is a horrid mess and is now doing 1 year leases on some models. I am a long time 911 owner and in general Porsche is a different animal compared to the rest of the VAG.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #68
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
I would like Ambient Air if still offered, but wouldn't get night vision or rear sear entertainment. I've seen all the current models and prior models, and don't see any build material cutbacks. Am guessing almost all the part numbers are all the same. Either way, I like the old style and the new style. I waited to order the M60 over taking a build slot for the M50, but the old car looks nice too. I assume the new model will do fine and build on the sales success of the current model and once the G07 is done, there will have been more V2's sold than V1's. As a side note, I will have my eye on if Porsche does a 3 row SUV as IMO their build quality is a step up from BMW. I've gone back and forth for years on a Cayenne vs G05 vs G07. I have a 2019 G05 with every option other than night vision and rear seat entertainment.
Oddly enough Porsche still can source the night vision option. Porsche also was having parts issue but not nearly like their Audi/VW relatives. Porsche was held higher in the family and not deprived the cutbacks as the others. VW is a horrid mess and is now doing 1 year leases on some models.
Porsche builds a great car. I had a 2023 Cayenne on hold, but let it go for the X7. I don't need the three row, but I really wanted a plush ride which is what pushed me to the X7. Also, there are just some minor aspects of the Cayenne that always turn me off such as the grab handles, the "key" to turn it on, and their tech just isn't as good as BMW IMO. I've come close many times, but can't pull the trigger as I never "love" it, and you need to love it for the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 07:00 PM   #69
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Porsche builds a great car. I had a 2023 Cayenne on hold, but let it go for the X7. I don't need the three row, but I really wanted a plush ride which is what pushed me to the X7. Also, there are just some minor aspects of the Cayenne that always turn me off such as the grab handles, the "key" to turn it on, and their tech just isn't as good as BMW IMO. I've come close many times, but can't pull the trigger as I never "love" it, and you need to love it for the price.
You can get keyless enter and go with Porsche. I have it on my 911. The caveat with Porsche is you can/will option up a vehicle to get a “dream” level build. You also have more bespoke options with Porsche but you will have to pay up for them.
The Cayenne tones down the crazy level of options compared to the 911 but there are still a lot to get a proper flagship feel compared to the BMW 7 series where you order more group packages of options.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #70
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i / 21 911 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Finally looked at a 40i inside and out. I guess builds vary a lot and it’s shows on the 40i I looked at as it felt pretty low optioned and mid tier.
As far the vehicle itself I found the entire design language to be confusing and without German purpose and continuity. I didn’t get a “mean” or aggressive vibe at all for such a large front end with so many lines and creases. It seams like two completely different designs forced to work together and I suspect that is what is really going on with this LCI.
I felt a bit gutted this was the direction BMW is going.
Not a fan and hoping the rumors that Porsche is building a larger flagship SUV is true. The new BMW look is polarizing on many levels. My dealer made me a offer for my fully loaded (low mileage) X7M50i that is still incredible if I wanted to get a LCI M60i. I politely declined any idea of that. From what I gather from my dealership the new look is not being received well by the demographic that bought the Gen 1 X7 at all in my neck of the woods. I am keeping mine for the next few years and by then I will look at other German manufacturers to see what direction I most agree with. BMW across the line is moving away from anything I would spend my money on. If I had to replace my current X7 now I would down size with a Cayenne Turbo or full size with a MB GLS63 AMG. I am still hoping for a complete new design that makes sense to me when the next new X7 is released. BMW’s new design language may have me running back to Porsche for all my vehicles across the lineup but we will see what the new X7 may bring.
I agree - this is exactly what’s happening. They have forced in pieces of the new angular design language. It just doesn’t work as the previous language was built in soft curves and was extremely well thought through. If you look at both the interior and exterior of the outgoing X7 the curves are applied everywhere in a very synergistic cohesive way. When you just drop in random harsh angles it is just jarring. However, if you look at the new 7 series you see how the new design language can work when built from scratch.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56305.50
      08-27-2022, 07:24 PM   #71
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MancladLA View Post
I agree - this is exactly what's happening. They have forced in pieces of the new angular design language. It just doesn't work as the previous language was built in soft curves and was extremely well thought through. If you look at both the interior and exterior of the outgoing X7 the curves are applied everywhere in a very synergistic cohesive way. When you just drop in random harsh angles it is just jarring. However, if you look at the new 7 series you see how the new design language can work when built from scratch.
Some people don't care for soft, curved, frumpy, fatty, butt sagging, oompa loopa cars. Some people prefer more modern, harsh, edgier, staggered, sharper angles. You obviously don't. It works for some and not for others. I personally find the frumpy curves a bit soft and not sporty. Same reason why I would never buy a Porsche. They look like Tesla's and that is not a compliment. Everyone has different tastes in clothes, homes, behaviors, partners.... BMW will be just fine regardless of our opinions Pretty sure of that... They know what they are doing. We all just need to stay in our lanes and buy what we want and appreciate what we can afford.

Last edited by BMWX7m60i; 08-27-2022 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2022, 07:43 PM   #72
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
@BMWX7m60i most of the critics here who don't like design haven't even seen one in person.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #73
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
@BMWX7m60i most of the critics here who don't like design haven't even seen one in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
Yes or m50i owners that have the internal need to come on to threads and say how much better they think their cars are. I don't recall BMW owners being such pricks lol. Owned them in the past and the comments on some of these threads are sad.
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #74
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX7m60i View Post
Yes or m50i owners that have the internal need to come on to threads and say how much better they think their cars are. I don't recall BMW owners being such pricks lol. Owned them in the past and the comments on some of these threads are sad.
It is truly bizarre that people come in just to try to fill whatever void there is that causes them to hate on what someone else drives. As American as apple pie tho, no end in sight
Appreciate 1
BMWX7m60i182.50
      08-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #75
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
I just saw one at the dealer It was sold already, so I didn't want to touch it. But it was STUNNING. I'm new to the BMW family, and this will be our 1st purchase, so we are going big. 60i. Hubs wants the 60i. The interior is impressive, and I can't wait. For someone that did not own I drive 7, I'm super excited. I hope you get your super fast. We are waiting to put the order in till the "newness" wears down a bit. Although my dealer can't keep them in the lot.
Appreciate 3
wtwo318044.50
      08-27-2022, 09:08 PM   #76
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I drove a 22 x7 m50 at the ude event today in Joliet. I loved it.

Complete opposite of my M2CS but the nice thing was that the power was there when needed .
Appreciate 1
wtwo318044.50
      08-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #77
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Some people don't care for soft, curved, frumpy, fatty, butt sagging, oompa loopa cars. Some people prefer more modern, harsh, edgier, staggered, sharper angles. You obviously don't. It works for some and not for others. I personally find the frumpy curves a bit soft and not sporty. Same reason why I would never buy a Porsche. They look like Tesla's and that is not a compliment. Everyone has different tastes in clothes, homes, behaviors, partners.... BMW will be just fine regardless of our opinions Pretty sure of that... They know what they are doing. We all just need to stay in our lanes and buy what we want and appreciate what we can afford.
You are completely missing my point. I like the new design language when it’s executed properly as in the new 7 series. However, with the X7 refresh this is not the case - they have just dropped a few elements onto the previous car and I personally think this does not work as they are not complementary approaches. This is my point of view everyone is welcome to their own opinions. A forum is supposed to be a place where opinions are shared.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #78
fastdj88
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i

Quote:
You are completely missing my point. I like the new design language when it’s executed properly as in the new 7 series. However, with the X7 refresh this is not the case - they have just dropped a few elements onto the previous car and I personally think this does not work as they are not complementary approaches. This is my point of view everyone is welcome to their own opinions. A forum is supposed to be a place where opinions are shared.
Weren’t they just expressing their opinion? 🤷*♂️

Again it’s like you have to be on pre-Lci team or lci team it’s very bizarre.

I appreciate elements of both. No car is perfect. Not sure why we can’t agree to disagree and move on.
Appreciate 3
      08-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #79
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdj88 View Post
Weren’t they just expressing their opinion? 🤷*♂️

Again it’s like you have to be on pre-Lci team or lci team it’s very bizarre.

I appreciate elements of both. No car is perfect. Not sure why we can’t agree to disagree and move on.
Yes - they were. However, the suggestion was that I don’t like modern design and I am explaining this is not the case. I like design that is well executed and I don’t think this lci is well executed. It’s just an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #80
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep

New design language

Just my opinion…. This is how the new design language can be executed. The exterior loses the soft curve elements - for example the side ‘hockey stick’ and the curved domes on the hood. The interior uses the angles and facets design in many areas. In my opinion this works well and I believe the ‘new’ not lci X7 will be more along these lines and I will probably get one then.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #81
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not missing your point. You think you are the know it all when it comes to something being "executed properly." Guess what? Can you even for a second believe that some people think they did execute properly? You speak in absolutes and that is where we differ. Okay to voice opinions but you seem to think you know it all when it comes design and can determine what is right and what is wrong. Your language is called being passive aggressive. The second half of your statement is fair opinion. The first half is just being a passive aggressive know it all.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 12:40 PM   #82
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just my opinion…. This is how the new design language can be executed. The exterior loses the soft curve elements - for example the side ‘hockey stick’ and the curved domes on the hood. The interior uses the angles and facets design in many areas. In my opinion this works well and I believe the ‘new’ not lci X7 will be more along these lines and I will probably get one then.
And this statement is fair and written well. You don't come off like a jerk in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #83
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So you either have to love the new design or everyone else is wrong and clueless??? Nothing but cheerleading and atta boy comments are all some can filter in, got it. Also consider the G07/G05 section of the forum is rather kind and gentle compared to other areas so I don’t think anyone is outright trying to insult anyone.

Thicker skin is going to be a requirement because you are gonna hear comments and street critiques a lot more brutal in the real world with such a unconventional polarizing design. It is what it is.
The M3/M4 owners have had no problem handling significantly more brutal comments from professional press and amateurs.

Consider a lot of us didn’t just walk on the BMW playground and have a pretty experience eye and bead on the brand. Many of the reviews and critiques have been pretty objective.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-28-2022 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:57 PM   #84
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am not missing your point. You think you are the know it all when it comes to something being "executed properly." Guess what? Can you even for a second believe that some people think they did execute properly? You speak in absolutes and that is where we differ. Okay to voice opinions but you seem to think you know it all when it comes design and can determine what is right and what is wrong. Your language is called being passive aggressive. The second half of your statement is fair opinion. The first half is just being a passive aggressive know it all.
I am sorry if you think I’m a jerk. I think you were missing my point because my post you answered inferred I don’t like modern design language which I had stated does work on the new 7 series so you did seem to miss that point. I am not being a know it all - I am merely pointing out what the lci is which is literally taking the ‘older’ model and dropping in some elements that carry the new approach and in my opinion this does not work as the ‘old’ design language is at odds with the ‘new’ and so in my opinion it does not work very well. Again I am sorry if this comes across as being a know it all jerk.
Appreciate 0