F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Speed limit display reliable?
Studio RSR

06-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Notechy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xDrive SE

Speed limit display reliable?

Speed limit display is currently included in my 335xd touring order, because I expect there to be times when it is genuinely useful. But I am only likely to find it useful if it can be relied on to show consistently the correct limit (or failing that, none rather than an incorrect limit).

Can anyone advise on the reliability of the device please?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Its not got anything wrong for me yet, and is far quicker to change to the correct speed limit than my 6 month old TomTom was....

Combined with it displayed on the HUD I find it very useful.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Not got it so cannot comment, however on test drive it managed no problem with back roads and those 'is it a 30 or a 40' moments.

One thing I have been using a lot is the limit button, excellent for those set speed limits, average speed cameras and near me when they have loads of mobile vans.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

I would say more than 99% of the time but not 100%. odd times it will still show 70 when I leave a dual carriage way ,no sign for it to read and speed limit dropped to 60 , but then you know it is wrong and it does eventually correct itself. On the odd occassion it can read a speed limit sign on a side road you pass especially if they have been slightly rotated by some joker.
Overall best system I have used for this type of information, tom tom data from maps far less reliable even if on map update service.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I'd say it's correct most of the times although it's certainly not correct all of the times!

It's very good at recognising signs at the side of the road and even the overhead gantries on the motorway.

Where it does seem to fail is in the strangest of places. The slip road I use every time I come off the motorway always shows as 20mph. I think this is because there is a road that goes underneath the main motorway which must have that speed limit. There have been other times when it has shown 60mph in the middle of a 30mph speed limit, times when it is obviously wrong. I treat it as more of a guide rather than to be relied upon.

If I were speccing again, I reckon I'd leave it off. Although, it does fill the gap on the HUD quite nicely
      06-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

Yeah it's good most of the time but where a slip road disappears at a tight angle to the main carriageway it can pick up the speed limit for it rather than staying with the main road but it does correct pretty quickly. It is excellent for those places where there are multiple signs close to each other and where you loo away at the wrong point and miss a sign. It's only a couple of hundred quid so good value for that.
Advanced Parking package, Pro Media, HUD, speed limit display, heated and electric front seats. Halogens!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by languidmandala View Post
Yeah it's good most of the time but where a slip road disappears at a tight angle to the main carriageway it can pick up the speed limit for it rather than staying with the main road but it does correct pretty quickly. It is excellent for those places where there are multiple signs close to each other and where you loo away at the wrong point and miss a sign. It's only a couple of hundred quid so good value for that.
+1

I think it's good value for 200 quid. Works 99% of the time, only really noticed it missing smaller repeater signs when they are partially obscured. As someone else said, especially useful for those 'is it 30 or 40?' moments, which I can ruefully attest to having cost me 3 points in the past. Twice.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Have it on my both my SQ5 and GTD and they are always pretty spot on and very quick to change. Wouldn't ever spend any extra money on the option but on both my cars it comes as part of the sat nav pack. On the Golf its even part of the cheaper £750 nav pack.
Appreciate 0