E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Diagnose this! Audio included!!!

06-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Farroar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 xDrive40i

Diagnose this! Audio included!!!

This seemed to just start happening the other day. I'm trying to narrow it down and from what I can think of, it has to be something to do with the clutch or the transfer case. Here is what happens:

Only noticeable at low speeds.
Do not typically hear it on acceleration
Sound doesn't come or go with or without brakes
It doesn't go away when the clutch is depressed but it does seem to change
Sometimes it is comes and goes when I turn at low speeds

The attached audio is of me in first gear. I speed up slightly, then just let off of the gas, no brakes applied. Hear the squeeky noise. It's obviously a rotating noise but i really don't think it is coming from my wheels. Driving me nuts! (And it sounds really poor coming from a nice car )

EDIT: Had to upload a zip file... site doesn't allow audio! It isn't anything nasty, I promise!

EDIT 2: I previously said that the sound doesn't seem to go away with the clutch depressed... this morning I was testing again and it almost disappears when I depress the clutch.
Attached Files
File Type: zip carnoise.mp3.zip (366.9 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Farroar; 06-24-2014 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: More testing!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
C.Pop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

What about if you just lightly touch/hold your brakes, not really enough to provide any stopping power, just enough to move the pads a little? Any change then?
      06-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
gatorheel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 n54

I had that problem on my first 335. I ended up changing the control arms and problem was solved. People will tell you brake pad sensor but I don't believe it. Good luck. Let me know what works for you because I am starting to get the problem again on my current 335.
      06-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Farroar
Private
Rep

If I depress the brakes a bit, it doesn't change the sound. I don't think it is the brakes. Control arms is an interesting idea. How would they be making that sound? It's a rotating sound, not a up/down squeak sound. I do not hear any noticeable sound when going over speed bumps either.

Drive shaft maybe? I should put my go pro down under my car and record. Audio kinda stinks on them though.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Farroar
Private
Rep

Updated the original thread... this morning I was testing and found that the sound almost goes away when I depress the clutch...

Soo.. accelerate -> let off gas (in 1st gear) -> squeak sound -> depress clutch -> squeak almost gone.

Gotta be the clutch? What in the clutch could make this sound if it were?
Appreciate 0