GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

IND | BMW Performance Shift Knob DIY

In order to satisfy the demand of their clients for a more unique and tailored vehicle, BMW's Performance division is now producing complete performance solutions for all BMW models.

The BMW Performance DCT knob features the same weave used on the BMW carbon fiber interior trim and includes the necessary replacement gel coated selector logo. The matching weave ensures harmony with the F80/F82 interior.

BMW Performance knob includes a new selector logo, torx screw, and the carbon fiber knob.

Tools required:
T8 bit
nylon pick or metal body pick
Painters tape

Step 1:

Apply painters tape to the silver knob surface just above the gear selector emblem. This will prevent any damage to the original silver cover.

Step 2:

The key to removal of the shift knob is the removal of the gear selector sticker. We remove this piece with a tiny metal pick, but anything that can give you leverage under the emblem will work.

Step 3:

With the emblem removed the Torx 8 screw will be exposed. Take the Torx 8 driver and remove the screw.

Step 4:

Now remove the cover from the shift knob and install the BMW Performance cover.

Step 5:

The BMW Performance cover comes with a new Torx 8 screw, but you can also utilize the old screw. After the set screw is reinstalled apply the new shift emblem and enjoy

[IMG][/IMG]
DBACE686.00
      08-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
dr2ray
Auto Doc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4MC, 2019 M2C

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Just some hints when you do this.
1. Use a sunglass-repair flathead screwdriver. It gets right under the emblem and lets you pop the emblem up. Pop from the 12-oclock position. The emblem is taped in, not snapped so you can pop up with some vigor without risking damaging it. In case you do, there is a replacement with the CF knob.
2. Make sure that you use some tape to prevent scratching and also give some grab to your tool (that's what she said) when popping the emblem up.
3. The little white computer chip board has to be in the base, connected to the wire, then put the gear shift on, THEN attach the little "tic-tac-toe" board as seen in picture 2. I tried keeping the white computer board together with the tic-tac board and then wedging the gear shift around it and it does not work.
4. Make sure to hold the Tic-tac in, while replacing the screw. Picture 4 shows this well, because if you don't, the tic-tac doesn't sit flush.
5. Flush fit when done. It's best to do with some light and not in a dark garage.
6. Takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. Make sure that you have a torx 8 screwdriver before removing.
Appreciate 1
codys2160.00
      08-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
bishop4142
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
  [0.00]
All we need now is a CF replacement for the silver base plate.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
tkhan456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 (MW/Black/Black 19")

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop4142 View Post
Already have that: http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bmw-...t-console-trim
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
M5LA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Alpine White - sold

Is this the same knob as the one in F10 M5?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop4142
Or one for the manual trannys
      09-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
For such a tiny part, I really am enjoying this mod. The parts you put your hands on deserve more attention.
      09-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5LA View Post
Is this the same knob as the one in F10 M5?
Correct, same DCT shift knob as the F10 M5 and F06/12/13 M6
      09-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop4142 View Post
has someone a DIY for the base plate?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
getmetnow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmetnow View Post
+1
Took me 5 min. to swap it out with a nylon pry tool. It just pops out if you wedge the plastic tool between the gaps and apply slight pressure. Then carefully lift and remove the wire that's underneath and unscrew the two T10 screws holding the button in place. Just reverse the steps to put it back together.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
Took me 5 min. to swap it out with a nylon pry tool. It just pops out if you wedge the plastic tool between the gaps and apply slight pressure. Then carefully lift and remove the wire that's underneath and unscrew the two T10 screws holding the button in place. Just reverse the steps to put it back together.
yep did it yesterday. was easy
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
getmetnow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
You are correct. Did it in about 5 min. No problems. Thanks for info.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
Tubernator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2013 X5 Diesel  [0.00]
Quote:
About to try this tonight. Does the base plate slide right over the gearshift knob, or does that need to be removed?

TIA
      01-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #15
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

I got the knob and console trim with alacantra, looks awesome!

Anyone know if they have CF trim for the silver piece around the cup holders in front of the shift knob and the steering wheel? That's the only silver left!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
I got the knob and console trim with alacantra, looks awesome!

Anyone know if they have CF trim for the silver piece around the cup holders in front of the shift knob and the steering wheel? That's the only silver left!
Unfortunately, there is not a carbon fiber solution for the silver around the cup holders. There is a solution for the silver on the steering wheel. This piece is an aftermarket wet lay carbon fiber insert. Due to its size, the manufacturer opted to use a 1x1 weave, so it is not 100% identical to the BMW M Performance trim.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...ing-wheel-trim

If you are interested in that piece, shoot me a PM and we will help you out.

01-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
Unfortunately, there is not a carbon fiber solution for the silver around the cup holders. There is a solution for the silver on the steering wheel. This piece is an aftermarket wet lay carbon fiber insert. Due to its size, the manufacturer opted to use a 1x1 weave, so it is not 100% identical to the BMW M Performance trim.

Thank you! I mean...if it doesn't match, I wouldn't buy it, but if it's very close and looks almost the same, I would consider it.. Thanks!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #18
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Just did my interior. Was a piece of cake [almost] and took me about 30 mins total...biggest part was finding the right torx screws (when swapping over my sport setting button initially I got it out with one torx screw but realized it wasn't the correct one when I had trouble screwing down the button after transfer into the new DCT CF trim piece. Also getting the CF cover of the gearshift off was tricky..initially couldn't get it then got some leverage and a thinner/smaller screwdriver and it just popped off easily. Did take me a min to figure out how to get the old DCT silver gear piece off of the little computer board and tic-tac toe lighting but after about 5 mins or so finally got both figured out. This piece must be flush and will only fit one way in the gearshift lever so work with it and be patient and it'll finally slide into place. I ALSO left my console plugged in versus disconnecting it and just rotated it out of the way as there was no need to unplug it really.

Great and simple upgrade to complete the CF interior for those with that option.

PS...meant to add a few other pics. I bought an LED bar under hood shop light from www.ECStuning.com (by Schwaben I think this is the link - http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E70-X5_...ing/ES2769963/). Clamped it to the sides of the windshield supports and worked great to allow me enough light to see everything inside. Purchased it to use for work under the hood and where its often a bit dark without a lot of expensive in garage lighting...works great for other uses. Thought I'd share.
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten

Last edited by mdrobc13; 03-22-2015 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 12:20 AM   #19
robbieMWM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

do you happen to have an install guide for this steering wheel trim? i just purchased it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post

Appreciate 1
BMWPWR237.00
      12-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

The shift knob is the thing I touch the most but like the feel of the least.

I would prefer a much more heavily weighted knob over CF. Is this possible? If it felt more substantial (like a GT3 or R8) it would feel much higher quality to me. I do not mind dealing with heat / cold issues if it's metal. I'd pop it open and weight it heavily myself if there was enough room inside to do so.

Would you guys consider making one? Have you heard this request before?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #21
jesm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911S 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post
The shift knob is the thing I touch the most but like the feel of the least.

I would prefer a much more heavily weighted knob over CF. Is this possible? If it felt more substantial (like a GT3 or R8) it would feel much higher quality to me. I do not mind dealing with heat / cold issues if it's metal. I'd pop it open and weight it heavily myself if there was enough room inside to do so.

Would you guys consider making one? Have you heard this request before?

+1 agree with you! I dislike the plastic/too light feeling of the shift knob..Would be willing to pay for weighted option as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #22
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Thanks for the write up. My order didn't include a new emblem. Can the old one be reused?