European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

I couldn't wait any longer...

I've been driving my truck ever since I sold my GT3 and I had to get something for the summer. I've had a deposit on a M4 since last September and I wouldn't likely get it until this September.

A few years back I was interested in a GT500 or a Boss302 but I shied away from Ford because of the dealer experiences I've had when inquiring about these two cars. I had decided long ago that I didn't want to deal with the whole allocation crap, dealer markup, share of Nations BS. Since then I bought a Challenger SRT8, sold it. Bought a '11 997.2 GT3, sold that too. The Challenger was a nice cruiser but too lumbering. The GT3 was way too focused and has a very narrow use for the track imo.

Last weekend I got a call from the dealer as they received their first M4. As I have one on order I went over to the dealer to take a look at it. Well they sold that M4 within a day but the guy who bought it traded in a '13 Race Red B302. 1,150 miles on it. I drove it....and then I bought it

The original owner took the mufflers off and put on straight pipes with Magnaflow tips. It sounds like crackling thunder :nice:. He also swapped out the the front grill and front and rear valance. Not sure if I like the look so I might change it back to stock. Otherwise the car is in great shape, has the track key (changes over 200 parameters in the car), stock parts and factory car cover in the trunk etc.

This car is so fun (and easy) to drive. Responsive, handles really well, plenty of power. Bang for the buck you simply cannot beat this car. It looks great too. The rear tires aren't going to last very long...

Having the M4 on order, I dunno I just may get my deposit back. I'm totally enamored with this Boss 302. Got it for half the price of the M4 I have on order.

06-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

The sound of the BOSS 302 alone will be hard to give up for a M4. Congrats on your purchase
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
The sound of the BOSS 302 alone will be hard to give up for a M4. Congrats on your purchase
Especially with straight pipes. The cats are the only things keeping the sound down.
      06-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I'm sure other members around here are puzzled on how you can go from a 997.2 GT3 to a Boss. many around here consider that their holy grail. I'm interested to hear more of your thoughts on that.

congrats on the Boss though - simple, good old American hp.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Congrats and enjoy it! When you get tired of the shenanigans you can always get an M4 later.
      06-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Sounds like an impulse buyer to me.
      06-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Congrats. They're great cars
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

From GT3 to M4 to Mustang. Hmmmmmm...
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Hmmm I can't blame you, this wait is killing me. Now I got to wait another 2 weeks because German release date is different...FAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef
I'm sure other members around here are puzzled on how you can go from a 997.2 GT3 to a Boss. many around here consider that their holy grail. I'm interested to hear more of your thoughts on that.

Ummmm, yeah! I was thinking the same thing. I suppose that it's like dating a supermodel, eventually you'll tire of her and those who want her will wonder how you ever gave her up.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post

Quote:

Imo the GT3 isn't worth the money. Actually I don't think most Porsches are. For me the value just is not there. Quality is great but there are better options out there for my money. Sometimes the dream is better than the reality and the GT3 is difficult car to live with for the street. Track is a whole 'nother ball game.

I may end up with a M4 after all. I need to see better colors and a ZCP pkg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Yeah I didn't wake up that morning thinking I'd be bringing home a Boss 302 but I had been looking at them some time ago, I've had two '70 Boss 302's in the past, the opportunity presented itself and I chose to get a kick ass car at least through the summer. The car is winning me over I can tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
From GT3 to M4 to Mustang. Hmmmmmm...
Variety is the spice of life. I've had all kinds of cars through the years. I never took my GT3 out to the track as I'm a motorcycle track day instructor so I don't really have the desire to track a car. To be honest it's a little boring in comparison. For a DD, hooligan machine, the Boss 302 suits the street better than the GT3 and I don't worry about rashing up the front lip or really worrying about it much at all. It's just easier to live with.
      06-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Ummmm, yeah! I was thinking the same thing. I suppose that it's like dating a supermodel, eventually you'll tire of her and those who want her will wonder how you ever gave her up.
GT3's get bought and sold a lot. Great cars but very focused. Stiff suspension, very low to the ground, you worry about putting miles on it because of how it affects value. You just flat out worry about the car when it's parked, are the center locks going to fail, are the coolant lines going to bust loose when you're apexing a turn on the backroads etc. Porsche warranty absolutely sucks....I just didn't see the benefits, sold it and made a modest profit to boot.

I sold the supermodel, I always liked girls that party anyway...
      06-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I had a mustang convertible in '06... First year model from when they made them look half decent. Too much rattle, not enough refinement, not enough technology and innovation and a lot of bad luck (6 insurance claims in 18 months, don't ask) made me vow never to by a Ford again.

If you bought this as a filler while you wait on your M4, that's fine but for God's sake don't let this replace your M4 order man... every time an M4 pulls up next to you at a traffic light you will be very pissed.
      06-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops View Post
I had a mustang convertible in '06... First year model from when they made them look half decent. Too much rattle, not enough refinement, not enough technology and innovation and a lot of bad luck (6 insurance claims in 18 months, don't ask) made me vow never to by a Ford again.

If you bought this as a filler while you wait on your M4, that's fine but for God's sake don't let this replace your M4 order man... every time an M4 pulls up next to you at a traffic light you will be very pissed.
Well this one, albeit it only has 1,200 miles on it, does not rattle at all. Fit and finish and materials used are not as good as a M4 certainly but it does feel like its put together well. Feels like I can just hammer on it and it'll ask for more. The Boss 302 has many forged internals, pistons, crank etc. 444 hp and over 380 ft lb. It handles really well, even with a solid axle. I was amazed at turn in and bump absorption. Reading what the mags say sometimes doesn't make it so.

I won't be pissed if a M4 pulls up next to me, I'll be happy for the guy driving it. I can get one if I want, and I still have my order. They're different cars, it just depends on what you want. The guy who traded in this Boss 302 also had a McLaren.
      06-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
czarmar
Private
Rep
Drives: 1999 323i

Mustangs have a nice bang for the buck. Whenever we find ourselves in Hawaii, I always tend to get a Mustang convertible. For the base V6, it doesn't seem underpowered.

However after a week or so at dealing with uncomfortable seats, hard expanses of plastics, and dated dash electronics that aren't well integrated, I'm always happy to get home and back into my trusty e46 with almost 300k miles.

Mustangs don't generally try to compete with the BMWs in refinement. Ford knows they've got a good thing going with the low end hot rod, and they've been putting out some great cars. However, they don't offer anything for me with that extra level of refinement that people expect over 50K.

1999 323i with 292K miles
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarmar View Post
Mustangs have a nice bang for the buck. Whenever we find ourselves in Hawaii, I always tend to get a Mustang convertible. For the base V6, it doesn't seem underpowered.

However after a week or so at dealing with uncomfortable seats, hard expanses of plastics, and dated dash electronics that aren't well integrated, I'm always happy to get home and back into my trusty e46 with almost 300k miles.

Mustangs don't generally try to compete with the BMWs in refinement. Ford knows they've got a good thing going with the low end hot rod, and they've been putting out some great cars. However, they don't offer anything for me with that extra level of refinement that people expect over 50K.
Absolutely. But I'm not a guy who needs the finest of everything. The Boss 302 is a far cry from a Hawaii rental. Comes stock with Recaros. They're a drivers car so electronics are not a priority. At $40K it was a steal. You should try one sometime, they're fun if you don't take yourself too seriously.
      06-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'm trying to find something nice to say about this but I can't so I'll just keep quite.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm trying to find something nice to say about this but I can't so I'll just keep quite.
I bought it at a BMW dealer, does that help...
      06-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
I bought it at a BMW dealer, does that help...
Forgiven. Be true to your school.

Congrats on the new monster. Enjoy it. Although, it IS a speeding ticket waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
e39>all
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Lol, that's what popped in my head as well

Enjoy your new ride
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
And a remarkably simple and effective chassis (still solid rear axle...) that has proven to be as fast or faster than the E9X M3 on the strip and track...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I can tell many in this thread have not driven a Boss 302 before.
Appreciate 0