E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil cooler and intercooler coorelation

06-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Oil cooler and intercooler coorelation

So I have a 335 base model with no oil cooler. I live in Philadelphia where temps don't get all that hot other than maybe for a month or two, if that. As of now, I have not seen my oil temps go higher than 240, even after spirited driving, so clearly there is no need for me to look into getting an oil cooler.

The only mod I have on my car is COBB tune, other than that it is stock. I am most likely going to be getting the vrsf intercooler soon so I can upgrade to stage 1 +. My question is, will upgrading to stage 1+ affect my oil temps? I am comfortable not having an oil cooler because my temps stay pretty low, but if upgrading the intercooler and going to stage 1+ will increase my oil temps, then I would have to start thinking about an aftermarket oil cooler and I don't want to do all that. I just want to upgrade the intercooler and be done with modding after that.

So will going to stage 1 + affect oil temps? Or are oil temps just a result of climate and driving habits and not so much how modded your car is?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Just upgrade the front mount and be done with it. I currently have Cobb + VRSF 7" and haven't seen my oil temps go above 240 either.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Just upgrade the front mount and be done with it. I currently have Cobb + VRSF 7" and haven't seen my oil temps go above 240 either.
Yeah my only concern if running a more aggressive tune after i upgrade the IC would make the oil temps run hotter than they run now, because they are at a very good temp now and I really don't want to push it too hard...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Re-read what I wrote.

I have a feeling that driving style will effect oil temperature more than either an OTS or custom tune.

Is road racing, HPDE, etc. in your future? If not, then don't worry about adding a cooler. JMHO.
Appreciate 0