Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Anyone else underwhelmed by HK Audio?

I've been experimenting with 320k bps and flac files, and I have concluded that I am underwhelmed by the quality of the HK system in my F80 M3.

Previously I had an Individual Sound System in my 330d, and the bass was far tighter and not boomy like the F80 HK system. Also the sound appears to be less clear. I find I have to turn the bass down far too much to avoid boominess.

Anyone else any thoughts on the HK system? Maybe I was spoilt with my e90.

I have used the same mp3s in both cars and the flac files sound no better.
      06-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

My standards must be low but I think it is a very good sound system. MUCH better than what was in my C7 Corvette... so maybe my expectations were low.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

I was pretty underwhelmed as well. I only used it on the test drive, so none of my high-quality stuff, but it seemed like it had better sound overall than my E92, but was no louder. Slight improvement, on the whole.

EDIT: After getting it, using Logic 7 and adjusting the equalizer (I hadn't previously done this), it sounds badass. Far beyond that of the stock E9x I had and much better dynamics than the E9x premium stereo.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold

Last edited by jc05e46m3; 08-13-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
minus9
Grand Poobah
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am still debating whether to add it to my build (currently entered without it).

Unfortunately the dealership in my area does not have both to do any A/B testing with.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

The HK audio is really great in my F15, but pretty poor in the F80. On the other hand, I guess the standard sound must be pretty much useless for anything else than radio. So if you do want to listen to some tunes, get the HK, but don't expect too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I felt it sounded pretty bad (I guess it is the same as the F30 one?!) at first but after adjusting the equalizer a bit it sounded pretty good. But I wouldn't say it is a WOW-experience. The standard audio is horrible, the Hifi-option is decent and the HK is okay but not much more.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
I felt it sounded pretty bad (I guess it is the same as the F30 one?!) at first but after adjusting the equalizer a bit it sounded pretty good. But I wouldn't say it is a WOW-experience. The standard audio is horrible, the Hifi-option is decent and the HK is okay but not much more.

I side with the camp that stated the HK is the best option for the low-level audiophile that has no desire to upgrade the sound system. There are some HK settings that will optimize the ranges as Rossifumi stated.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for comments; I'll do some more testing and I will call BMW tomorrow and ask them what Sound System they used in the e90 Individual Sound System.

I'll also try importing songs into the car to see if they sound better than playing the songs off a USB stick.
      06-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
minus9
Grand Poobah
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Would sticking with the hi-fi system in the US and just upgrading speakers be at least as good as the HK system?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I didn't call BMW, but I will. Still disappointed.

The volume from the radio is significantly higher than that of music files.

Also to my ears, the HK system is significantly worse that that of my individual sound system; the sound from the USB is muddled.
      07-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
Larry Chijner
Private
Rep
Drives: 428IX

The HK system in the 2014 428 is not very good . I have tried everything I know to tweak it out. The speakers are cheap and very bright. The amp and Logic 7 is ok. I am going to put new speakers in the front stage either Focal or Bavsound and the biggest issue is the underseat subs. Have to replace them with Earthquake SWS or JL 12 in the back.
I had a Dynaudio system in my VW and it was unreal.
Didn't have to do a thing. Truthfully BMW should be ashamed. Dynaudio system is 1000 upgrade and the B and O system in my wifes Audi is great.
The one good thing is I love the car and once I fix the audio system I will be good to go,

Larry Chijner
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

It sounds great I just wish it was louder streaming bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Caelric
Banned
Rep
Drives: n/a

Haven't gotten my M4 yet, but if you have suggestions, I'm all ears (heh). I've always modded the sound systems of my cars, not for window-thumping bass, but for overall better sound quality. Will likely do the same to this.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

The HK system is decent at best. My wife drives a 2012 GTI Autobahn that is equipped with the Dynaudio system. I prefer the crisp clean sound of the stock Dynaudio over my F80 HK system. The BO system in the Audi S4 has a better sound then the HK in the F80. I have a double cab tacoma 4x4 that I installed Hybird Audio Technology (HAT) component speakers in the front and rear along with a slim line JL Audio subwoofer behind the rear seat. I am using a passive head unit (Eclipse Cd7200mkii) along with a JL Audio HD 900/5 to power the setup. I installed Dyna mat sound material inside can of the vehicle. The HK system cannot hold a candle to the sound quality in my tacoma. I am considering installing a Audison Bit One to interface withe stock head unit in the F80 and installing Hertz, HAT, Dynaudio speakers in the F80. This is something I will research in the future and I am thinking of upgrading the F80 stereo system.

I will say this the sound of a stereo is subjective to the listeners ear. Case in point my mother (71 years old) thinks a am/fm clock radio produces great sound. Even my ears have changed over the years, back in the 90's I enjoyed the bright sound of MB Quart (qsd 216) that I had in one of vehicles now I prefer a natural sound.

Last edited by Egrunt; 07-27-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I''m going back to my dealer in a few days to listen to the audio in a few other BMW cars.

I'm so disappointed with the HK Audio - lets see what my trip yields.
      07-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
classic6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB/BB E90 M3

I went with the base audio. Its simple to upgrade and not have to deal with wiring and coding issues like i had to do with my e90.
so far ive installed all new Helizx speakers and the sound quality is a lot crisper. I will be adding helix amplifiers in the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

The situation is simply disgusting, across manufacturers.

The only thing that makes the HK in the 4-series a good option is that the US base system is utter garbage (which is the middle tier in Germany, they have something even worse). I mean really unusable. And I think at least in the convertible picking the base system to upgrade later makes you lose out on a couple of speaker mounting locations. And obviously you lack some head unit features, although if you just want good sound and don't need it too loud there isn't a reason why that head should be a problem. You want a linear amplification of the signal and it provides it. Well, hopefully, in the case of the toys like USB reader.

I had a listen to the HK in the E class convertible, which is a $70,000 car with options that is not M or AMG, and it really isn't appropriate. It's not good. And the "surround logic" is just a bad remastering. I do my own remasters.

Fact is that the HK speakers are at least providing full range (as opposed to the cheaper non-HK), but they do so in the cheapest manner, and on an absolute scale they are not good.

In my e46 I dumped the HK speakers in favor of putting in BSWs, and it is a huge improvement. I thought that is a fluke, but no, the 2014 BMW and Mercedes HK system aren't any better. Basic speakers worth $10 each, that is what they are.

Rant over.

BTW, does anybody know whether any website does real testing on car stereos? I mean most car "tests" these days don't even drive the cars anymore, expecting somebody to take measurement equipment to the stereo might be asking too much. But maybe?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

I think it sounds great. Much better than Premium sound in my E92.
Better bass, better highs...more pleasing to the ear.

I was planning to overhaul the whole system as I didn't care for my E92 system...it was definitely worse than my E60 M5.

Surprised you guys don't find it to be a considerable upgrade from the last model. I know I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
Better bass, better highs...more pleasing to the ear.
FWIW I don't care for those as long as the bass isn't flubby/loose and the highs are there at all (which they aren't in the US base / German middle system).

What I really care about is clearly drawn mids, I need that both for voices (the whole point about music) and for distorted guitars. They need some punch, and it's coming out of the mids. Well, not in the current HK offerings it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #20
M_PATHY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic6 View Post
I went with the base audio. Its simple to upgrade and not have to deal with wiring and coding issues like i had to do with my e90.
so far ive installed all new Helizx speakers and the sound quality is a lot crisper. I will be adding helix amplifiers in the next week or so.
If you don't mind could you please post a quick DIY and the exact components you used? I may go this route instead of paying for the HK option. How much are the speakers and amps running you if you don't mind?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
Hello World
'merican in the DE
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
I''m going back to my dealer in a few days to listen to the audio in a few other BMW cars.

I'm so disappointed with the HK Audio - lets see what my trip yields.
my 2 cents (pence);

I was initally underwhelmed with the HK Audio but have grown to appreciate it.
1. I think the M3/4 is just a really noisy car and overwhelms the stereo system with road and engine noise. The competing noises wouldnt let any audio system sound exquisite, in my opinion.
2. The connection definitely matters, ive noticed a gigantic difference in sound quality between bluetooth connection, on an android and USB, on an apple device. the USB connection is way better. (I read somewhere that there is a better bluetooth codec but that should have been an easy win for BMW. everyone is going to use bluetooth right?).
3.The quality of the audio files we are using is probably a factor as well and not enough to let the HK system show its true colors. I havent put an old school cd into my sound system yet but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it would sound far better than my ipod or android.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I think Hello World has a good point about the F80 being noisier.

Anyway today I went to my dealer and tried out 320kbps mp3 files in:

New 4 Series with HK system

E9x series M3 with Individual sound

X4 with stock sound system

My F80 has the HK system

To my ears, the HK system in my M3 sounded the same as the HK system in the 4 series.

The stock sound system in the X4 sounded significantly worse than the HK system, so I believe the HK system is a worthy upgrade.

The individual sound system in the 4 year old M3 definitely sounded the best.

I used sound tracks I am very familiar with:

Cheryl Cole - Last One Standing (for testing tight basd)

Cheryl Cole - Telescope for piano and clear vocals

Nadine Coyle - Runnin' for punchy base and clear vocals.

The salesman reminded me that the Individual sound system is not currently available in the M3, and that it cost a lot more than the HK system.

I've therefore concluded that I've got the best I can have and I'm so pleased not to have chosen the stock sound system, and that as Hello World says, I probably have to up the volume a bit more to counter the increased tyre noise.