E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rev9 Oil Cooler???

07-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
ard5040
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xdrive35i, Macan S

Rev9 Oil Cooler???

I saw this 25 row direct fit cooler with stain steel/Teflon hoses on ebay, but can't find any information about the company (rev9power.com) or product. I'm guessing someone is using this since there are 9 "watchers" on the listing. Anybody ever heard of or used this? Their price is $450 but the risk is a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Probably not worth the hassle if you already have stock oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

im about to build my own oil and tranny cooler. I bought 25 row and a 19 row with fittings and PTFE lines all for under 250 bucks... There really is not ALL that much R&D involved in an Oil cooler. the technology hasnt changed much and an air cooled core is extremely simple, so long as the core does what it is said to do. you will dramatically cool your oil compared to stock. literally the cheapest OC on ebay mounted behind kidney grills correctly installed will provide you will cooler oil temps.
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doorbmwpower View Post
im about to build my own oil and tranny cooler. I bought 25 row and a 19 row with fittings and PTFE lines all for under 250 bucks... There really is not ALL that much R&D involved in an Oil cooler. the technology hasnt changed much and an air cooled core is extremely simple, so long as the core does what it is said to do. you will dramatically cool your oil compared to stock. literally the cheapest OC on ebay mounted behind kidney grills correctly installed will provide you will cooler oil temps.
The problem is QC on these ebay item. An oil leak is extremely inconvenient and at worst will ruin your engine. Even the AR ones had quite a few failure back when they sell it, the connectors and core are prone to leak if they aren't up to the task (which are subjected to a lot of heat cycles and constant high pressure). The only one I have yet to fit a single report of failure is the ER kits.

If you gonna build your own, I would go with a quality core such as Setrab. But after that and some high quality SS lines and connectors, you are probably near the $700 ER charges for the single cooler kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
The problem is QC on these ebay item. An oil leak is extremely inconvenient and at worst will ruin your engine. Even the AR ones had quite a few failure back when they sell it, the connectors and core are prone to leak if they aren't up to the task (which are subjected to a lot of heat cycles and constant high pressure). The only one I have yet to fit a single report of failure is the ER kits.

If you gonna build your own, I would go with a quality core such as Setrab. But after that and some high quality SS lines and connectors, you are probably near the $700 ER charges for the single cooler kit.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
DuDai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Even at what ER charges, for some reason I've seen a lot of them get leaks at the connection by the cooler including on my own car. Typically a simple retightening fixes it but have seen quite a few of these develop a bit of a leak after a month or two. Other than that they are fantastic.
      07-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

we shall see what happens i know a few guys running DIY kits with cheap coolers and havent had any problems whatsoever, i also know one guy with a n ER competition who had two leaks after installation, fixed now but just saying.

lots of variables, thread paste AN fittings and tight fits and you should be okay.
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuDai View Post
Even at what ER charges, for some reason I've seen a lot of them get leaks at the connection by the cooler including on my own car. Typically a simple retightening fixes it but have seen quite a few of these develop a bit of a leak after a month or two. Other than that they are fantastic.
These rubber o-rings... I get the same problem with my stock ones after 25k miles too. Not a major leak, but it weeps overtime. Not until we can source some better o-rings (silicon instead of rubber ones?), there isn't much you can do...
Appreciate 0