E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Will a bad intake vanos solenoid affect torque/power?

07-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
SGM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

Will a bad intake vanos solenoid affect torque/power?

My car went into limp mode along with throwing 2a7a (intake vanos solenoid), i had installed a fmic the day before and felt a power loss in low gears. Thought it may be a boost leak, went back through all connections (they were all super tight) so im wondering if the intake vanos solenoid has something to do with the torque loss i'm feeling? Having an actual boost leak test done soon, but i don't think thats thats the problem, any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Did you clear the code? Is it still present?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
SGM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

It popped up yesterday, i cleared it today. Waiting to see if it comes back.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #4
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

A faulty VANOS solenoid will cause a limp mode. It could be clogged or faulty.

Your best bet would be to pull both solenoids, clean with compressed air and reinstalled them but swapped, I.e. Intake in the exhaust and exhaust in the intake.

If the code doesn't come back, whoopee, if it does and it's in the exhaust solenoid then you know you'll need to replace that solenoid.
      07-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post

Your best bet would be to pull both solenoids, clean with compressed air and reinstalled them but swapped, I.e. Intake in the exhaust and exhaust in the intake.

If the code doesn't come back, whoopee, if it does and it's in the exhaust solenoid then you know you'll need to replace that solenoid.
^ This

there are several DIYs for this maintenance fix on this site alone and its a pretty simple procedure. Just make sure you have compressed air to blow out the gunk once you've loosened it up with carb cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post

^ This

there are several DIYs for this maintenance fix on this site alone and its a pretty simple procedure. Just make sure you have compressed air to blow out the gunk once you've loosened it up with carb cleaner.
I had a vanos code related limp mode myself the other day. I actually just used a compressed air can to clean it out. Went to the drags last night and no issues.

But probably more effective to use stronger compressed air and a carb cleaner haha.