E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DME failure

07-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Continue5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 5-thirty-5

DME failure

After getting new turbos this week, I was excited to mount my 305/30/19 tires and head to great lakes dragaway. Went out for lunch today and the car apparently decided that it was time for a new DME and it would not start. I managed to get it running by resetting the DME,adaptations and all codes in INPA. The car was running really rough and my live datafeed showed 3-4-6 bank two at 21 AFR . This probably means only 3 cylinders are working at this time. I've ordered the mofsets and will try the fix when they get it here late next week or after even . Anyone know if I can get them here locally anywhere in Chicago?

Any of you have this issue with the DME failing and causing bank 2 injectors to shut off?

Here is the list of codes pulled from DME:

P30BB
P2E7A
P2F4F
P2A96
P3100
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
tjobeid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

is it crazy i keep a set of 12 in my glovebox? Been there done that.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734162
Here is the DIY . make sure to seal off the rest of the DME you are working on with lots of foil and do one at a time with letting it cool down between changing each mofset. Overheating the DME will cause the whole thing to stop working.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Continue5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 5-thirty-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjobeid View Post

Here is the DIY . make sure to seal off the rest of the DME you are working on with lots of foil and do one at a time with letting it cool down between changing each mofset. Overheating the DME will cause the whole thing to stop working.
Where did you order yours from? My shipment is coming from Taiwan and will take a bit. I would even pay someone double the worth of these things to get them to me sooner! How many times have you had to do this?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
tjobeid
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continue5 View Post
Where did you order yours from? My shipment is coming from Taiwan and will take a bit. I would even pay someone double the worth of these things to get them to me sooner! How many times have you had to do this?
Ive done about 10 cars so far. Very common on cars that are 08 and earlier specially with a tune.
Here is where i got mine. They are in TX and so am i so it got here next day
http://www.mouser.com/?utm_medium=em..._content=micon
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjobeid View Post

this is definitely not true...i didnt use any foil and it took me way longer than 30-40 seconds to pull each one off...i put about 430F for about 2 minutes to pull each one off and the board got really really hot but everything works fine and nothing looked to be burnt of any sort on the board.

now you do have to be careful not to put direct heat on anything else as the little capacitors could melt and move around. but anyhow the board is made of fiber glass so you will need much more heat than 450F to do any kind of damage to the board.

either way the fix isnt really that hard
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
tjobeid
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
this is definitely not true...i didnt use any foil and it took me way longer than 30-40 seconds to pull each one off...i put about 430F for about 2 minutes to pull each one off and the board got really really hot but everything works fine and nothing looked to be burnt of any sort on the board.

now you do have to be careful not to put direct heat on anything else as the little capacitors could melt and move around. but anyhow the board is made of fiber glass so you will need much more heat than 450F to do any kind of damage to the board.

either way the fix isnt really that hard
Dude, i have done over 10 of these and fix logic board for living. I have personally seen people try that and put heat in the wrong place and fry the DME. Better be safe than sorry. Cover up the areas you don't want heat getting on.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

I got my from mouser (3 days for shipping), used insulated thermal tape to shield the other components near (the mosfets are large thus needing more heat than the tiny components around them), and each one took just under a minute to de solder. Don't forget to flux! I however pre warmed the dme slightly and did two at a time on different sides, waited about 5 minutes and did 2 more.

But I would seriously trust TJ on the matter, he was gonna help with mine but was out of mosfets from doing a DME a few days prior. He runs an electronics repair business...

Edit- didn't read his reply
Appreciate 0