E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 325i engine misfire

12-31-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Rep
Drives: BMW325i AT

325i engine misfire

Hi All, anyone eperience an engine misfire fault?

I had recently set out on a long trip for the holidays (over 4000km). My car had already 7000km on it. The first day I did 500km. Everything fine. the next day, i set out 100km into the trip and got an engine fault warning and it noted that I should drive moderately or the catalytic converter could be damaged. Anyway, the "misfire" did not allow me to do more than 100km/h.

No BMW garage for 700km so i kept driving the car. When the fault occurs you switch off and restart after 5 minutes and it goes away. I put the car on cruise control and it was fine as long as I did not have to decelerate and accelerate to overtake. If I did this it reoccured. Switch off and start after 5 minuts. Happened 10 times on the journey. At my destination, BMW technicians picked up the fault history and showed that 3 of the 6 cyclinders had misfired. They attributed this to software and reprogrammed everything (don't know if there was a later or newer version of engine management software?)

Seemd to have sorted out the problem for the rest of teh journey!.

My concern, how can the EMS just get corrupted? Could this reoccur or isthere a later software update that fixes this problem. Very annoying when driving on a long journey..........
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
3m52
in the shadows now.
Rep
Drives: 323

Hm I'm not sure, but I don't like that just because of a misfire, the computer won't let you go over 100km/h. The reason for the cat. damage could be from a misfire occuring and a flame coming down the pipes, which torches the cat.