F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > RaceChip Pro2 owners: Please update your impressions
Studio RSR

07-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
RaceChip Pro2 owners: Please update your impressions

At least several forum members have installed the RaceChip Pro2 in their 328d. I would like some feedback on these questions if you don't mind:

1) Has the turbo lag been reduced? If so, by how much: 25%, 50%, 75%?

2) How has the power band been affected? Please talk about acceleration in low gears/high rpm, mid-range passing power (40-60mph), and high gear passing (60+ mph) compared to the OEM engine.

3) Does the engine run any rougher than before?

4) Have you noticed any affect on MPG?

5) I'm supposing that this kind of chip would tend to increase emissions. Do you agree?
      07-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
Drjsuh
Rep
Drives: 328xd wagon

(1) yes, but hard to put a % on it especially since I had only owned the car for a couple of months/maybe 800 miles before installing. Throttle response is quite a bit better...it's noticable as everyone has mentioned too.

(2) I think it has helped across the board in most/all situations. Have you read the review posted on their website that tested a 318d wagon against some other boxes? That magazine did a review with some interesting testing and numbers that are quite impressive.

(3) no....maybe a little smoother if anything....but I've been mixing in some b20 to get up to around b5 to help with lubricity, etc. and folks say that diesels run smoother on b5...so maybe it's that v. the box.

(4) I thought I saw a decrease in mileage with the initial setting (I've posted previously about this) but again it's a bit hard to say as conditions may have been different and I only had the car for a couple of months before I installed the box. I did change my box's setting to the second level (d1) and it seems that my mpg has been fine/similar to what it was originally since the change. I just drove a 1000 mile road trip over the long weekend and got over 44mpg...so I am very happy with gas mileage. With all other chips/flashes on previous cars I have owned I felt my mpg was slightly better...so I was curious about this box too since that's one of the reasons I traded in my panamera for the diesel wagon.

(5) possibly but I would think it's negligible. It's my first time using a box like this but with previous cars flashes/chips my smog tests always passed with flying colors....so my sense is that in general it's negligible for tuning but my state doesn't sniff test diesels so I will probably never know.
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjsuh View Post
(1) yes, but hard to put a % on it especially since I had only owned the car for a couple of months/maybe 800 miles before installing. Throttle response is quite a bit better...it's noticable as everyone has mentioned too.

(2) I think it has helped across the board in most/all situations. Have you read the review posted on their website that tested a 318d wagon against some other boxes? That magazine did a review with some interesting testing and numbers that are quite impressive.

(3) no....maybe a little smoother if anything....but I've been mixing in some b20 to get up to around b5 to help with lubricity, etc. and folks say that diesels run smoother on b5...so maybe it's that v. the box.

(4) I thought I saw a decrease in mileage with the initial setting (I've posted previously about this) but again it's a bit hard to say as conditions may have been different and I only had the car for a couple of months before I installed the box. I did change my box's setting to the second level (d1) and it seems that my mpg has been fine/similar to what it was originally since the change. I just drove a 1000 mile road trip over the long weekend and got over 44mpg...so I am very happy with gas mileage. With all other chips/flashes on previous cars I have owned I felt my mpg was slightly better...so I was curious about this box too since that's one of the reasons I traded in my panamera for the diesel wagon.

(5) possibly but I would think it's negligible. It's my first time using a box like this but with previous cars flashes/chips my smog tests always passed with flying colors....so my sense is that in general it's negligible for tuning but my state doesn't sniff test diesels so I will probably never know.
Thanks, doc. I did see that article, and I've even saved it somewhere. The main annoyance for me right now is the lag in lower rpms.
      07-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Drjsuh
Rep
Drives: 328xd wagon

So I finally changed the setting on my racechip to e2 - which is the highest recommended setting. It does seem to help a slight bit more then the previous d1 setting. One other thing that I noticed is that the car seems to run a bit hotter (auxiliary fan has come on a couple of times since I made the change and I can only recall hearing the fan once prior). No check engine lights or anything though and the higher temps probably indicate higher efficiency too (other then possible heat sink with turbo I guess).

I also finally ditched the 18" stock wheels and run flat tires for some 19" Alpina rep wheels and non run flat falken tires. Overall, when it comes to mods/upgrades this change is a bigger improvement then the chip. I am happy with the racechip but the new wheels and tires transforms the car quite a bit more in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

Will the RaceChip be effective if mated with a 320d / 328d with MPPK?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Will the RaceChip be effective if mated with a 320d / 328d with MPPK?
I think people do that sort of thing but I think it's dumb and dangerous for the engine. You are greatly increasing the risk of engine dysfunction by multiplying the unknown variables of how these two systems will interact. They have not been designed to work together, nor tested. But if you want to be a guinea pig with your engine, go for it.
      02-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
ABE2(aw/sw)
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35d

I have the RACE CHIPS Ultimate special 328D that I have acquired from http://dtmhaus.net/rachulsp32.html. Im selling it, used of course.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE2(aw/sw) View Post
I have the RACE CHIPS Ultimate special 328D that I have acquired from http://dtmhaus.net/rachulsp32.html. Im selling it, used of course.
You can transfer it to your next car

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE2(aw/sw) View Post
Why are you selling it and how much?
      03-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
ABE2(aw/sw)
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35d

Im scared of taking the car to the dealership with it on and loose the warranty. I took it off few weeks ago and it is just seating there. I paid $600 for it, make an offer.
Appreciate 0