E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb4 map2 and no other mods

07-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Eloquescence
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Jb4 map2 and no other mods

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question and I have a theory about the current issue my car is having.

So basically last year in March I got my car (07 335i) and then installed JB4 (April 2013) and life was awesome. I started running with Map 1 but soon after found that Map 2 was so much more fun to drive with.

Like an idiot, who's addicted to the boosting, I ran that Map 2 for an entire year. Daily driving, sniping traffic, whizzing in bliss -- on and off the freeways. Life was great.

But then in April 2014 -- mind you I had been running Map 2 for approx. 12 months now (almost 10K mi) I experienced a loss of power above 4K rpms and that stupid Yellow Half Engine light every single time I did so. It happens mostly in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear when I hit above 4K rpms.

My question: did my increased boosting without a tune hurt my car? Did I damage it somewhere and that's why I can't make more power? If you think this is the case, what do you think will need to be fixed when I take it for service?

I am stock (currently) with no other mods other than JB4 tune. Planning to take it to Z&M Auto next week for the real mods and FBO to commence.

Love to hear your input guys -- this is the best e92 forums on the net!
-Elo

PS. -- I searched the forums first and couldn't find anything on my particular issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Probably a misfire but hard to tell without logs. Best guess is you need plugs how long has it been? A tuned car needs plugs every 10K miles.
      07-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Eloquescence
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
Probably a misfire but hard to tell without logs. Best guess is you need plugs how long has it been? A tuned car needs plugs every 10K miles.
It's been long, man. Haven't changed the plugs since I bought the car last year in March. God only knows when they were changed before then!

I'm glad I got the NGK 5992 plugs from Amazon. I'll have the shop put them in and gap them properly. I researched here and heard that they were good for a tune -- hopefully they will not make my engine shake too much when the car is idling...

Thanks so much for the response!
-Elo
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

Burger motorsports does not recommend running map 2 unless you at least have a DCI and or downpipes.

"My question: did my increased boosting without a tune hurt my car? Did I damage it somewhere and that's why I can't make more power? If you think this is the case, what do you think will need to be fixed when I take it for service?"

I'm not sure what you mean by increasing your boost without a tune? The JB4 is the tune. There is also a code reading function in JB4 where you can diagnose what is wrong with your car prior to buying parts and just guessing. I'm sure you could use spark plugs, but there are other problems that could the cause of the limp mode.

I would just scan your car and see why you have a check engine light first.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Eloquescence
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
Burger motorsports does not recommend running map 2 unless you at least have a DCI and or downpipes.

/snip

I'm not sure what you mean by increasing your boost without a tune? The JB4 is the tune. There is also a code reading function in JB4 where you can diagnose what is wrong with your car prior to buying parts and just guessing. I'm sure you could use spark plugs, but there are other problems that could the cause of the limp mode.

I would just scan your car and see why you have a check engine light first.
Thanks @brewnami. I am getting my terms mixed up. I should have said increasing my boost without any mods. I realize now that mod and tune are not synonymous. Thanks for clearing that up. Had no idea the jb4 could read codes...

-Elo
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I do the same thing, I get boost leak codes. Also have a misfire on cyl 3 every now and then. The VCG needs replacing. Check your codes. Mine deletes the codes after a while even though auto delete is off.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
MadToy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 340i Xdrive

Has anyone plugged up the stock cats by running a higher boost tune with them?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

wait... did you just say you threw a code 3 months ago, and haven't bothered to dig into it until now?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Eloquescence
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
wait... did you just say you threw a code 3 months ago, and haven't bothered to dig into it until now?
I've dug into it before, but I wasn't getting any codes. I bought a OBD II reader and hooked it up with my Android phone. Got no codes when the yellow half engine light came on. Took it to Autozone -- no codes.

I don't have a BT cable and I don't want to have to take it to the stealership just so they can tell me something simple for a $110 diagnostic.

I'm just praying that once I take it to my mechanic next week, they can diagnose the issue and we can order parts and everything while I am getting FBO / Walnut Blasting done.

Thanks,
-Elo
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Eloquescence
Rep

Thanks for the suggestion to pull codes from JB4. Didn't even realize it could read codes from map menu 1! You learn something every day!

Here are my codes:

2F6C - exhaust fume flap, (Golf tee mod -- not worried)
29E0 - fuel mixture control 1 - could be from running e85 (did that on June 20)
29E1 - fuel mixture control 2 - same as above
2F9E - Thermic oil level sensor -- maybe I didn't put in enough oil?

I don't see anything major, but does anyone see anything they think might become a problem? Feel free to chime in!

Thanks,
-Elo
Appreciate 0