BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Dougie335
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

i8 Disappointing

Yes the car looks great but as a daily run around I don't think so. Try getting in and out over the door sill that's six inches above the seat will drive you mad.
The other no no is the boot if that's what they call it. Only enough room for the wife's hand bag and its a small one. They should have stuck the battery in the back seat as there not worth having anyway.

Why does no-one mention this in the reviews?

Have to stick with the GTR for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

The ingress/egress and the lack of storage space has been mentioned in practically every review I've read and/or viewed.

I highly doubt that the i8 will be a primary car for anyone...

You could get the wife some matching Louis Vuitton luggage that will fit perfectly in the trunk and back seats though... for a small price of about $25k USD...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie335 View Post
Yes the car looks great but as a daily run around I don't think so. Try getting in and out over the door sill that's six inches above the seat will drive you mad.
The other no no is the boot if that's what they call it. Only enough room for the wife's hand bag and its a small one. They should have stuck the battery in the back seat as there not worth having anyway.

Since situation is same in all true sportcars - nothing new to mention. If you want to drive sport GTs, you get 4 doors, more space and whatever compromises you want. In sportcars situation is different. Take F12, Ave, SLS, R8, 911 or 458 for a comparison.
      07-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Yes, everything you say is true. Don't buy one.

(thereby leaving more for me)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I may be the rare exception, but the i8 will be my daily driver. I'll keep the X5 as the family hauler, but intend to have the i8 as my regular commute car. I'll be going to/from work in e-Drive during the week (20 miles roundtrip, with charging station at work if needed), and going with sport mode on the weekends when I can let it rip in the twistys of the SoCal canyons. It's one of the things I love about the i8, that it is equally comfortable in these two very different styles of driving.

Can't get my hands on it soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:

Well...I guess I'm happy you got that off your chest?

There door sill isn't an issue. I'm used to this:

And I don't know about everyone else but the i8 is not going to be my primary method of transportation.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

@drlonline I don't think it's an exception, since you're keeping the X5 ... If you just had an i8 it would be a lot more difficult with a family.

Perhaps I should have said I doubt that the i8 will be anyone's *only* car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Different strokes

It's why they build station wagons and SUV's. And why we have multi-car garages with room for the p/u, SUV, sport sedan and numerous, fun sports cars. Drive on!

i8 on order and can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:

It is a very different car to the GTR. One is a heavy v powerful proper saloon type car, the other an exotic mid engine sports car.

About entry/exit, it is all relative. The i8 is hugely easier to enter/exit than my S1 Exige. Same with the boot, infinitely bigger than my car.

I would use the i8 as a daily driver if I buy one.

About the rear seats, you could wait for the Spyder, as it has none. But I am certain the car is not for you anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

[QUOTE=J. But I am certain the car is not for you anyway.[/QUOTE]

I am another convert from a V12 Ferrari and a succession of V 8's fed up with the envy generation, reliability and holier than thou dealer attitude.
I much appreciate your review in another post. Informed opinion and feedback I hope BMW will act on. Can't wait to post when mine arrives late September.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Surge
Rep
Drives: M3 on order

I actually love that it has rear seats. Without rear seats, I would not even consider buying one. I have a small child, and don't have room for a 3rd car in my driveway… so for me the car has to have rear seats, even if small.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
dr.sb
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458 (Bianco Avus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
It is a very different car to the GTR. One is a heavy v powerful proper saloon type car, the other an exotic mid engine sports car.

About entry/exit, it is all relative. The i8 is hugely easier to enter/exit than my S1 Exige. Same with the boot, infinitely bigger than my car.

I would use the i8 as a daily driver if I buy one.

About the rear seats, you could wait for the Spyder, as it has none. But I am certain the car is not for you anyway.
Hey JasH,

I read your posts with great interest and I think they always great. The only thing I would disagree with you on, of course only my opinion, is that I would not call this an exotic mid engine sports car unfortunately.

I would also use the i8 spyder/i9 as a daily car I found it surprisingly easy to get in and out of the i8 actually. For ladies it may be a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen, but they can master it too I am sure.

Best regards

Sunny
'10 Audi R8 V8
'15 Porsche Cayenne S E Hybrid on order
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
garage queen 335is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 I8, 2016 M2, E46 M3 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The ingress/egress and the lack of storage space has been mentioned in practically every review I've read and/or viewed.

I highly doubt that the i8 will be a primary car for anyone...

You could get the wife some matching Louis Vuitton luggage that will fit perfectly in the trunk and back seats though... for a small price of about $25k USD...

I will drive it to work. It will be very hard to keep it under 75MPH on the electric power only.
Not driving it every day is like marrying a super model and sleeping with her on the weekends only
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
jordan.egan44
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, BMW i3 REX, BMW Z8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie335

My dad uses his as a daily driver.

I get what you are saying, as a reasonable decision as a daily driver your points make sense.

Then again, if you want to be super responsible and sensiblesurely you wouldn't have a GTR either? It's not exactly the most practical car, as a daily driver something like a 5 series would be suited more ideally?

But then, if you don't mind putting up with a few things, the i8 and the GTR, I'm sure, are so much fun.

Just my input, but dad rarely takes more than one person to work. In fact, I'm not sure he has in the last few years. The boot space, it's big enough for his sports bag and you can use the rear seats if need be.

It's like most cars, if it suits your needs then it will work. Since this car doesn't suit yours, it won't work.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

The suspension of the GTR is a nightmare and road manners for regular driving, certainly not a patch on the i8.

I just sold my Aston v12v for an i8 and this is my first post (hi everyone!)...

Can't stand ridiculously harsh suspension on modern sportscars. I have a porsche 993 c2s and this glides beautifully on the road and so does the i8.

I find it quite refreshing that the i8 is not another Nurbugring 'enhanced' vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sb View Post
Hey JasH,

I read your posts with great interest and I think they always great. The only thing I would disagree with you on, of course only my opinion, is that I would not call this an exotic mid engine sports car unfortunately.

I would also use the i8 spyder/i9 as a daily car I found it surprisingly easy to get in and out of the i8 actually. For ladies it may be a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen, but they can master it too I am sure.

Best regards

Sunny
Hi Sunny,

Thank you, very kind of you to say so

And please do feel free to disagree with me Although I do believe I am correct

Personally, I classify a car as an "exotic car" based on looks, construction, performance. Probably in that order.

The i8 scores extremely highly in all those measures, except performance where it is "merely" very quick.
Appreciate 0