Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
matpop
Rep
Drives: E91 330d Xdrive

My i8 test drive

Hi everybody, I was lucky that my local dealer has gave me the new i8 for one weekend (sorry for my not perfetc english).
I was really impressed by this car, maybe I was not expecting this kind of tecnology, it is not only a car but the set of three or more concepts drive.
Let's start with the aesthetics: the more I look the more I think that his place should not be the garage but the living room, I asked my wife to make some room but she was not my own idea.
Joking aside I find that the design is gorgeous, timeless, I am convinced that in the next 5 or 10 years this car will not lose charm, will not be subject to fads or otherwise.
Wherever I park it after a few minutes you gather a group to admire it, everybody ask me to stop and take pictures

The interiors are treated with carbon that gives you a glimpse at some points showing that the structure of the car is a cell of carbon, the leather is all over the dashboard and doors and of course the seats, the profiles are in aluminum, the night light gives it a more futuristic car, the rest is the BMW style as the latest models.

The door opening has its own charm, but from a practical side is not very easy because the driving seat is very low, the steering wheel perfectly perpendicular and legs extended and well positioned; the opening of the doors does not allow you to park close to other cars as it serves to open space. I made ​​traveling my family during these days and my two daughters behind us are fine (they have 10 years and 7) my wife some difficulties in the approach to entry and exit, but you know how women are

In my opinion the space is good, less good accessibility.

But coming to the point on everyday use has really surprised me the most because it is a versatile car; put the transmission in D and given a small shot of throttle the car moves in perfect silence and continuing to accelerate the electric motor continues to push, on the city when you closed the windows it seems to travel on a Mercedes S-class, perfect silence and comfort, driving with a finger, the steering is light will assist in every little movement and the answers are ready if you insist on the accelerator even the internal combustion engine starts but never in a brutal way.
In this mode, the range is about 30km electric only, with heat engine I made ​​an average of 45Km/l
Moving the lever to Sport instrumentation and dynamics of the car change, everything is colored in red, the engine heat is always on, the steering is harder and the responses of the accelerator and brake are ready; acceleration becomes brutal and the torque is always ready and the sound is like a V8 with bangs when you shift the gear; the car changes from a neutral (a little understeer) to oversteer, removed all controls the car oversteer out of turns but remains intuitive and not overly brutal, unfortunately I could not run on a track in order to better appreciate his behavior, i was able to make a video acceleration then I will try to post.
By doing these tests acceleration and braking and trying to pull it where possible within the necessary limits of roads and highways the average was 12km / l.

I hope it was not too long but believe me there would have to write, it is a good car with a class apart and would not call it an extreme sports car and even an expensive coupe but a segment in its own that perhaps soon or later will be filled by other car makers.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/S_gItfPEA2o[/u2b]
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Wow, that is definitely lucky in my book - a full weekend test drive, nice!! Thanks for taking the time to write about the car and how you liked it.

Here's the video embedded just in case ... (the embed feature only works with just the short ID of the video, not the full URL)

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
matpop
Rep
Drives: E91 330d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Wow, that is definitely lucky in my book - a full weekend test drive, nice!! Thanks for taking the time to write about the car and how you liked it.

Here's the video embedded just in case ... (the embed feature only works with just the short ID of the video, not the full URL)

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Thank you for your review, I am jealous since I am in the US and don't even know when I can order my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]