E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DINAN Concerns!

12-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Dynomyte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

DINAN Concerns!

Hey guys, I was just thinking about a couple of things and wanted to get some feedback.

1. If someone flashes his car, would'nt he obliged to buy only DINAN parts? What I am trying to say is: Since they warranty consequential damage, would'nt another changed part such as a non-dinan exhaust remove their warranty? They would obvioulsy blame, damage on the exhaust. If this is the case, then we are in for a costly surprise...

2. Am I the only one that thinks that Dinan is gonna f..k us over in 6 or 12 months when a better dinan flash comes out making ours $2000 investment obsolete? Or if they start selling downpipes it will require us to reflash the car... And they would probably not pay for the reflash.

3. Why the hell would is cost non-oil cooled cars $2300 for the oil cooler and $2000 for oil cooled cars? This makes me feel that if I do not purchase their oil cooler, they will not warranty me or that they will try to make it seem that I brought my car to the track or something. (my car has oem oil cooler)

Please share your thoughts. I need some feed back so i can make up my mind!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomyte View Post
Hey guys, I was just thinking about a couple of things and wanted to get some feedback.

1. If someone flashes his car, would'nt he obliged to buy only DINAN parts? What I am trying to say is: Since they warranty consequential damage, would'nt another changed part such as a non-dinan exhaust remove their warranty? They would obvioulsy blame, damage on the exhaust. If this is the case, then we are in for a costly surprise...

YES

2. Am I the only one that thinks that Dinan is gonna f..k us over in 6 or 12 months when a better dinan flash comes out making ours $2000 investment obsolete? Or if they start selling downpipes it will require us to reflash the car... And they would probably not pay for the reflash.

Correct again.There are like 5 stages of software for the E46 M3. If you get an intake, they want to get corresponding software as well.

3. Why the hell would is cost non-oil cooled cars $2300 for the oil cooler and $2000 for oil cooled cars? This makes me feel that if I do not purchase their oil cooler, they will not warranty me or that they will try to make it seem that I brought my car to the track or something. (my car has oem oil cooler)

Maybe since if you already have an oilcooler all the necessary lines, mounting hardware, and fittings are already there. If not, Dinan must supply them. My best guess.

Please share your thoughts. I need some feed back so i can make up my mind!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:

I had a 2001 M Roadster with Dinan software and a few other Dinan goodies. I also had a Supersprint exhaust. My engine blew-up and neither Dinan or BMW had any issue at all with the Supersprint exhaust.

I'm not sure of the pricing that you quote. I was just at their site and it seemed to me that they won't do a car without an oil cooler. If you have the factory oil cooler, it's $1,999. If you don't and you put in a Dinan oil cooler, it's another $2,299. Maybe I missed something.

I paid $600 for my Dinan S54 software. It added 14hp and 9 pounds of torque. Do the math... 2 grand is a bargain for the power gains.

I think it's a good thing that Dinan tweaks their software for additional performance mods, like throttle bodies, exhaust, intake etc. I think that makes the mod more tuned for each specific car and how they are equipped.

There's a foot of snow here today, so I'm not really thinking about performance upgrades. Come spring time, I'll do the Dinan!

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmargolis View Post
There's a foot of snow here today, so I'm not really thinking about performance upgrades. Come spring time, I'll do the Dinan!
Extra horses would only slow you down now!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmargolis View Post
I had a 2001 M Roadster with Dinan software and a few other Dinan goodies. I also had a Supersprint exhaust. My engine blew-up and neither Dinan or BMW had any issue at all with the Supersprint exhaust.

I'm not sure of the pricing that you quote. I was just at their site and it seemed to me that they won't do a car without an oil cooler. If you have the factory oil cooler, it's $1,999. If you don't and you put in a Dinan oil cooler, it's another $2,299. Maybe I missed something.

I paid $600 for my Dinan S54 software. It added 14hp and 9 pounds of torque. Do the math... 2 grand is a bargain for the power gains.

I think it's a good thing that Dinan tweaks their software for additional performance mods, like throttle bodies, exhaust, intake etc. I think that makes the mod more tuned for each specific car and how they are equipped.

+1. Imagine someone actually running a business for profit.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

#1 NO. Only need an oil cooler (BMW or Dinan) for the flash.
#2 You have to realize that you're paying for warranty as well. From a business perspective it would make sense for Dinan to offer a reduced price for those who already have the current flash.
#3. You're probably paying for jus the oil cooler itself (Uses BMW hoses etc) if you already have a cooler. Again, Dinan says you must have the BMW cooler or their own. Right now, you don't have another other options, and IMO anyone tracking a 335 w/out an oil cooler is asking for trouble.

Remember folks..Dinan is always going to be more expensive, and their warranty adds add'l cost. Shiv ain't selling you a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I don't know about Dinan but, other tuners usually offer free or a greatly discounted price for reflashes as long as you are continuing upgrading with their products.

IE: If you have the Dinan flash as your first mod and decide to buy the Dinan the exhaust instead of another $2K they may charge you $100 or nothing for the correct software.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
One example in a sea of possibilities. Your engine may have blown for reasons that had nothing to do with your exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Another unrelated concern: if you get into an accident and your car is totaled there goes $2k + the 1 hr of labor for the flash. The flash is only licensed to the VIN so you'd have to pony up another $2k for a flash of the replacement car. Also, and mentioned elsewhere in another thread, the damn flash isn't emissions certified in CA. I spoke to Dinan yest.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
Another unrelated concern: if you get into an accident and your car is totaled there goes $2k + the 1 hr of labor for the flash. The flash is only licensed to the VIN so you'd have to pony up another $2k for a flash of the replacement car. Also, and mentioned elsewhere in another thread, the damn flash isn't emissions certified in CA. I spoke to Dinan yest.
And you think Procede is?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

if it is it...at least you can take it out for the emissions test

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
+1, that is the point of the piggyback. It remains a stock car once you take it out, and people and dealership will never know you modified it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
+1, that is the point of the piggyback. It remains a stock car once you take it out, and people and dealership will never know you modified it.
Bingo
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Is BMW supposed to have a flash as well or is the DINAN flash going to be the only one?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
No sure in CA, here in WA state the emission test is no longer running the car on dyno with sensor stuck up the tail pipe. The operator just plug the OBD2 into the socket and read the max(worse) numbers in memory/log and that's it.

Even if you remove the piggyback but you can't erase the log, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #16
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
No sure in CA, here in WA state the emission test is no longer running the car on dyno with sensor stuck up the tail pipe. The operator just plug the OBD2 into the socket and read the max(worse) numbers in memory/log and that's it.

Even if you remove the piggyback but you can't erase the log, sorry.
There is nothing you will need to erase, the car will never see anything unusual or high.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #17
checuervo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Garage List
2008 E93  [0.00]
I have a separate DINAN concern. I was thinking of going this "safe" route, paying for the warranty, etc. But would a DINAN flash invalidate future extended warranties? It seems most extended warranties are voided with significant modifications to the original factory car, and this might count.

Thoughts?

1989 Ford Tempo, blue
1984 Toyota Van, brown
1982 Volvo Station wagon, yellow
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

You really think that BMW is stupid and will never be able to detect that a piggyback was installed?

You are sadly mistaken
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #19
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
You really think that BMW is stupid and will never be able to detect that a piggyback was installed?

You are sadly mistaken
You bring up a good point. Since I don't understand everything the piggybacks do I'll ask: Do the piggybacks cause voltage spikes? If so I'm sure they are stored in the DME somewhere. Maybe the dealer equipment can't see this but what if the DME is shipped to NJ in the event of an engine failure. I bet BMWNA can get at this data.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

I,m sure if BMW really wanted to know if there was any tinkering done to the ECU they have the technology to dig into it and find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #21
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
You bring up a good point. Since I don't understand everything the piggybacks do I'll ask: Do the piggybacks cause voltage spikes? If so I'm sure they are stored in the DME somewhere. Maybe the dealer equipment can't see this but what if the DME is shipped to NJ in the event of an engine failure. I bet BMWNA can get at this data.
Pretty much everything in a car that uses electricity causes some type of voltage spike.In general cars generate a lot of electrical noise I think they would have a very hard time distinguishing a spike that may come from the Procede vs, say what ever cooling fan it is that runs in the center column or the alternator regulating voltage.

Now they might be able to have it store when the DME loses power and reference that but, unless they have something else that shows the car still had power it's just as easy as saying you disconnect the battery when you store the car or you were charging the battery or something else along those lines.

In all honesty I'm surprised they haven't put a anti-tampering seal on the connectors to the DME yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #22
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is until they start looking at wiring, and I bet many will.
Appreciate 0