THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Mid-Atlantic Summit Point - Friday at the Track. Worth it?

07-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Summit Point - Friday at the Track. Worth it?

I have never been to a track before and considering trying out the Summit Point Friday at the Track, which is held about every 3 weeks, first with an instructor for a couple of sessions, then on your own.

Has anybody here done this and what is your take on it?

http://summitpoint-raceway.com/progr...-at-the-track/
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

How much track experience do you have? Sounds like you may not have much, so I would say that BMWCCA is a great option. Our instructors are top notch (and go through a rigid instructor academy to get certification) and we run 2 day weekend track events at Summit throughout the year.

IMO, a 2 day class is best since you can reinforce what you learn over the course of the weekend. You'll see yourself get progressively better (and faster) since a big part of tracking your car is to understand your limits (and push them) and familiarize yourself to the track (knowing each turn and how to successfully manuever them).

I can answer any detailed questions you have, or feel free to PM.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
This is about 2 hours away from where I'll be living in a month. Never been to the track before. Sounds like it could be fun. Something I'm def considering.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Chk out this video of what can happen at the track.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-deer-...1-g-1611215533
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post

I have seen a couple of similar videos of wipe outs and I guess they have a deer problem there too. Of course there's a risk. For me, it's something I have always wanted to get into or at the very least try out.

And I'm not going to take risks on a new 51k car without getting track insurance every single time I hit the track. If it was a cheapo track car that I may consider one day if I really get into it, then who cares about insurance.

Last edited by five3three; 07-29-2014 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post

Good lord...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #7
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Deer turned in to mist, crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
five3three
Major
Rep

So, I ended up going to Summit Point this past weekend. I did one session and it was a blast. The car held up nicely even though I pushed it pretty hard. I'll likely be back at some point and do another session or full day HPDE.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three
So, I ended up going to Summit Point this past weekend. I did one session and it was a blast. The car held up nicely even though I pushed it pretty hard. I'll likely be back at some point and do another session or full day HPDE.
glad to hear you had fun. a guy I work with goes frequently and said FATT is a wonderful place to get started.

I've been there once for a Lexus driver event and got to take out the new (at the time) IS-F. it was a blast.

curious if you could kindly share how much track time you got, cost, and details around insurance cost (available to purchase ahead of time? do you have to alert your primary insurance about what you're doing?) if you could!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
curious if you could kindly share how much track time you got, cost, and details around insurance cost (available to purchase ahead of time? do you have to alert your primary insurance about what you're doing?) if you could!!!

I didn't do the FATT but rather a NASA event that was there (https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1874). I did the Hyperdrive for only $50 and that gave me one classroom session and one track session of about 25 minutes. For the price and how hard I was able to push it, it was a bargain.

Next time I'll either consider a similar Hyperdrive or maybe a single day or weekend if I'm up for it.

If I do a full day event or a weekend event I would likely purchase track insurance. I wouldn't expect my primary insurance to cover it and I wouldn't contact them to ask so as not to be on their radar.

For this hyperdrive I didn't do any insurance as I didn't plan on going too crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post

I didn't do the FATT but rather a NASA event that was there (https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1874). I did the Hyperdrive for only $50 and that gave me one classroom session and one track session of about 25 minutes. For the price and how hard I was able to push it, it was a bargain.

Next time I'll either consider a similar Hyperdrive or maybe a single day or weekend if I'm up for it.

If I do a full day event or a weekend event I would likely purchase track insurance. I wouldn't expect my primary insurance to cover it and I wouldn't contact them to ask so as not to be on their radar.

For this hyperdrive I didn't do any insurance as I didn't plan on going too crazy.
thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0