E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > That electronic dipstick...

07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

That electronic dipstick...

On the way home from work last night, my car complained that the oil was a quart low, so this morning, I added a leftover half quart of oil from my last oil change (I was planning to change the oil on Sunday, so no point in filling it all the way). Started driving and the car again complains that it's a full quart low. Thinking that the dipstick might be seriously off, I bought another quart of oil and poured in half of it. Started driving again and now the car says oil is completely full. No big deal, but what a waste of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
On the way home from work last night, my car complained that the oil was a quart low, so this morning, I added a leftover half quart of oil from my last oil change (I was planning to change the oil on Sunday, so no point in filling it all the way). Started driving and the car again complains that it's a full quart low. Thinking that the dipstick might be seriously off, I bought another quart of oil and poured in half of it. Started driving again and now the car says oil is completely full. No big deal, but what a waste of time and money.
It takes a bit of time for the ECU to make the correct adjustments so you will get the oil pop up even after you pour it in. Overfilling is BAD, if the nav shows that you are over the fill line then I would do a oil change as soon as you can.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There is a delay for the oil to update through the Sensor.

If you are adding it can take 30 minutes to and hour of driving for the
damm Sensor to update.

Its a good idea to look at the graph once in awhile to see what its
doing before it gets to the low indication.
Its good you only added .5 you should be fine.
You need to do two or three drives looking at the graph to get an
idea if it's really full.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The system updates at 5 minute intervals.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

yup. takes a little time to report new reading accurately. Just another stupid feature. I missed having a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

OP, the sensor is also an oil quality sensor that allows for a safe and longer OCI, which ends up saving you money by needing less frequent oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I think driving it rough might give it a better idea, when I changed my oil I put in 5, to test it, then one more because it said it needed one more. So I added that, drove for about 30 minutes, nothing. I knew it wasn't full because it takes 7, drove rough, staying at 3k-4k RPM, flooring it, it then told me it needs one more.

It's not the best thing in the world. I think they put it there so only people with seriously bad oil consumption problems would notice/complain.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post
I think driving it rough might give it a better idea, when I changed my oil I put in 5, to test it, then one more because it said it needed one more. So I added that, drove for about 30 minutes, nothing. I knew it wasn't full because it takes 7, drove rough, staying at 3k-4k RPM, flooring it, it then told me it needs one more.

It's not the best thing in the world. I think they put it there so only people with seriously bad oil consumption problems would notice/complain.
So you drove a car hard that you knew to be low on oil (as you did not put in enough in the first place)? Not a brilliant move IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
So you drove a car hard that you knew to be low on oil (as you did not put in enough in the first place)? Not a brilliant move IMHO.
It's a quart for 30 minutes. Doubt it did any significant damage. Transmission will likely die way before the oil or oil type has any noticeable effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Communist propaganda

OP, the sensor is also an oil quality sensor that allows for a safe and longer OCI, which ends up saving you money by needing less frequent oil changes.

It ends up saving BMW money
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
derrick603
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Is this true? As I understand it, the OCI is really determined by the amount of fuel used, not by any evaluation of the quality of the oil. Harder driving -> more fuel used -> shorter OCI.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
derrick603
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If you are adding it can take 30 minutes to and hour of driving for the
damm Sensor to update.
I wonder why this is the case. It sounds to me like the oil level sensor should be pretty simple, it should be able to detect the oil level properly every time it checks (assuming the car is warmed up). Does this mean that if you had a catastrophic oil level failure (something punches a hole in your oil pan, for example, it would take half an hour before car knows something is wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
derrick603
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I drove for 20 minutes after adding half a quart and it still said one quart low.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is this true? As I understand it, the OCI is really determined by the amount of fuel used, not by any evaluation of the quality of the oil. Harder driving -> more fuel used -> shorter OCI.
The sensor has a quality sensor in it, yes. It uses the dielectric resistance of the oil to determine how much additive remains in the oil. Combined with other data such as driving habits and temperatures the computer determines when it is time to change the oil. It is actually pretty accurate. I had a sample of my oil analyzed from a standard OCI (about 12,000 miles) and it still had some active additive in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
derrick603
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The sensor has a quality sensor in it, yes. It uses the dielectric resistance of the oil to determine how much additive remains in the oil. Combined with other data such as driving habits and temperatures the computer determines when it is time to change the oil. It is actually pretty accurate. I had a sample of my oil analyzed from a standard OCI (about 12,000 miles) and it still had some active additive in it.
Hmm, if that was the case, you shouldn't need to reset the OCI interval counter after an oil change, but you do. I didn't reset it last time and the counter continued counting down from the same number and at the same rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, if that was the case, you shouldn't need to reset the OCI interval counter after an oil change, but you do. I didn't reset it last time and the counter continued counting down from the same number and at the same rate.
Like I said, it does not only rely on the sensor. If you don';t tell the car that you changed the oil it will not know to reset the adjustments for the other factors that play in to the OCI.

The existence of the sensor is a matter of fact. It is described in the BMW tech manuals and other documentation.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

What would be an easy way to confirm the sensor is working properly?

I've put almost 4k on my current oil change, and it hasn't moved at all, I thought by now it would've dropped a hair since the turbo models seems to have blowby, etc.
      07-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
derrick603
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, it does not only rely on the sensor. If you don';t tell the car that you changed the oil it will not know to reset the adjustments for the other factors that play in to the OCI.

The existence of the sensor is a matter of fact. It is described in the BMW tech manuals and other documentation.
I'm skeptical as to whether or not the sensor actually measures quality. If it did as you say, I'd expect an oil change done without a counter reset would cause the counter to fall at a slower rate since it would be taking the quality of fresh oil into account.

I guess a better test would be to reset the OCI counter without changing the oil. If quality was really being measured, then the counter should fall very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm skeptical as to whether or not the sensor actually measures quality. If it did as you say, I'd expect an oil change done without a counter reset would cause the counter to fall at a slower rate since it would be taking the quality of fresh oil into account.

I guess a better test would be to reset the OCI counter without changing the oil. If quality was really being measured, then the counter should fall very quickly.
It doesn't work like that. It measures the dielectric constant of the oil. Once the oil dielectric constant reaches a predetermined level that indicates the oil is contaminated, that data, along with several other data, such as time, fuel consumption, engine temperature cycling, rate of change, etc. are used to determine the oil change interval. The oil quality data is not the only data used to determine the oil change interval.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Read this...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW-OZS sensor.pdf (616.8 KB, 57 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
I wonder why this is the case. It sounds to me like the oil level sensor should be pretty simple, it should be able to detect the oil level properly every time it checks (assuming the car is warmed up). Does this mean that if you had a catastrophic oil level failure (something punches a hole in your oil pan, for example, it would take half an hour before car knows something is wrong?
If you put a hole in the pan of a car that only has a dipstick, you will find out in exactly the same way as on our cars - the oil pressure light will come on. The oil level in the sump changes dramatically while the car is in motion, there is no way to have a real time level. It's not different than the gas level gauge - it is very well damped so the needle isn't jumping all over due to the gas sloshing around in the tank. The oil does the same thing in the sump.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
If you put a hole in the pan of a car that only has a dipstick, you will find out in exactly the same way as on our cars - the oil pressure light will come on. The oil level in the sump changes dramatically while the car is in motion, there is no way to have a real time level. It's not different than the gas level gauge - it is very well damped so the needle isn't jumping all over due to the gas sloshing around in the tank. The oil does the same thing in the sump.
Good analogy. The oil level sensor determines if there is sufficent oil in the sump to allow for engine operation at start up, it's called a static measurement, which you can do anytime on your car when the engine is not running. If there is not suffcient oil in the sump, the system immediately notifies you. And an engine can run a few mintutes without damage with the residual oil on the internal surfaces anyway.
Appreciate 0