BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

12-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Oz M3 owners show yourselves!

Well so far I have had a friend send a text from Perth "just saw a black M3. awesome!" and thank you for the wave from the new white M3 as I left Doncaster BMW on my motorbike a couple of days ago.

Mine is coming in Jan after a four month wait.

I have joined the BMW Car Club, through them I get 10% off services at Doncaster BMW and trade prices for parts which sounds pretty good.

I hope to have photos within the month!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
I still haven't seen an M3 (E92) on the road in Sydney

Had a call from Rushcutters Bay BMW on Monday saying the ship with my baby will arrive on Dec 22, which leaves the conundrum .... I want to be driving it for Christmas but because of Christmas I wont get it until the second week of January

Found out yesterday too, that mine will not be the only M3 in the parking lot at work. One of my colleagues has ordered one after doing a test drive at Eastern Creek ... he reckons he got up to 220km/h on the straight and could have gone faster if it wasn't for traffic!
---
Call from BMW dealer today ... My M3 is in town and could be taking delivery late this week
---
Picking her up on Friday ... pics very soon (Alpine White, Fox Red, Sunroof, Individual HiFi, Roller Blind, Comfort Windscreen).

Last edited by GeriFix; 12-20-2007 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
dont know if anyone actually comes into the aussie section, but my mates and i saw a grey M3 near neutral bay, NSW on the weekend
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
dash
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe AW

My Jerez Black M3 is due early February 2008. Can't wait !
Saw a Space Grey M3 last weekend as it cruised past me on the freeway. It looked very cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I am in Perth and took delivery of mine on the 24th of November. 760 km on the clock so far and just loving it.
Silverstone II with extended black. Only thing I didn't get was the rear blind and the ski package.

Last edited by aussiem3; 02-20-2011 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Aussiem3, nice wheels.

Have you had your side windows tinted, or are they standard?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
They are tinted - darkest street legal film through BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #8
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
They are tinted - darkest street legal film through BMW.
They do look good, might have to consider them for mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I called my dealer a few days ago, my car is a week 42 build and will arrive late January at the latest, it all depends on how many stops the ship has to make before reaching Melbourne!

The excitement is building!!!!!

Mine is white, I originally didn't like the silver but it has grown on me, your car looks great aussiem3, the one I test drove was just like yours but had killer plates "M3 V8"

Have you hit 8,400rpm yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

So, how do all you buggers deal w/ the out of control cops in Oz. VIC is the worst! I have a mate who's a copper on the Gold Coast and even he says it has got out of hand.

TX is amazing: I know a bloke who has had 10+ (!) tickets in his Gallardo and Vantage (and F430 on order - bastard!) and he has got off all of 'em w/ a lawyer - as long as you're not endangering the public, ie weaving in traffic etc.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 05:08 AM   #11
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
So, how do all you buggers deal w/ the out of control cops in Oz. VIC is the worst! I have a mate who's a copper on the Gold Coast and even he says it has got out of hand.

TX is amazing: I know a bloke who has had 10+ (!) tickets in his Gallardo and Vantage (and F430 on order - bastard!) and he has got off all of 'em w/ a lawyer - as long as you're not endangering the public, ie weaving in traffic etc.

I think you are right about Victoria being the worst. When I left there about 15 years ago the state budget included speed camera fines in their projected revenue . I also think it has had an effect on the way people drive in Melbourne. I was down there a year ago and driving around for a week, I felt I was in slow motion ... everyone seemed to stick to the speed limit, unlike in Sydney where you will frequently have some guy in a riced Nissan Skyline rammed up your chuff.

Best way to avoid the cops is keep them where you can see them:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #12
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Have you hit 8,400rpm yet?
I am still running the car in. Just completed 1k km. But have touched 5500 rpm and it blows your mind. What a car. I have had a lot of positive comments from Munaro drivers and other Holden drivers. They think the car looks very aggressive and tough from the rear.

I was stopped one day for RBT and the cop complemented what a good looking car it is. I am really happy with the whole package ... it is a totally different experience to the E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I am still running the car in. Just completed 1k km. But have touched 5500 rpm and it blows your mind. What a car. I have had a lot of positive comments from Munaro drivers and other Holden drivers. They think the car looks very aggressive and tough from the rear.

I was stopped one day for RBT and the cop complemented what a good looking car it is. I am really happy with the whole package ... it is a totally different experience to the E46 M3.
Wow, Holden drivers being kind about a Bimmer - things have changed! I was broken down in a 323i in Parramatta Rd. Had blokes driving by in Commodores (and even a Kingswood!) yelling things like "Get a fu**kiin Holden..", "Farkin' poncey German shit ..."

Back to the E92: I'd be interested to hear your specific contrasts b/w the e46 and e92, mate. And I've never been complimented at a RBT!!

cheers, -V

///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Vot:
Ride and handling: E92 is very comfortable and luxorious. Even is sports setting the suspensions ride really well while handling equally well. The E46 was a raw driver's car and the suspensions were harsh on some of the broken Aus roades. I changed the suspensions to Eibach Pro kit and it changed the harshness to some degree. There is minimal if not zero body roll through corners in both normal and sports settings in the E92.

Engine: With the E46 you had to really put the foot down ... whereas in the E92 it just revs frantically to the readline. I had to be careful given I as still running in the car. The torque is noticable too doesn't matter what gear you're in. Words can't describe how good this engine is.

Comfort: We're talking 5-series level of comfort. I almost brought a fully optioned 550 sport. The E92 has got all the characteristics of a fully optioned top of the range 550, but can become manic with the press of the M button which then will give you best of both worlds.

Just like the E46, the E92 is a real head-turner, and given that mine is the second customer car in WA, the rarerity of it too could have it "look at me" effect. Certainly the car stands out amongst the rest ... and nothing but positive comments allround. I think the Aussies are beginning to appreciate and acknowledge good drivers' car. Given that this is the new M3, you get those jaw-dropping looks all the time. Well done BMW.

Overall it is a very nice package.

Voltigeur: If you want any specific comparisons please ask.

Wishing you all a safe and happy festive season, and a properous New Year!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Vot:
Ride and handling: E92 is very comfortable and luxorious. Even is sports setting the suspensions ride really well while handling equally well. The E46 was a raw driver's car and the suspensions were harsh on some of the broken Aus roades.
Comfort: We're talking 5-series level of comfort. I almost brought a fully optioned 550 sport. The E92 has got all the characteristics of a fully optioned top of the range 550, but can become manic with the press of the M button which then will give you best of both worlds.

Just like the E46, the E92 is a real head-turner, and given that mine is the second customer car in WA,
Overall it is a very nice package.

Voltigeur: If you want any specific comparisons please ask.

Wishing you all a safe and happy festive season, and a properous New Year!
@aussiem3 Very nicely put - good observations, much appreciated.

It appears that BMW very deliberately targeted e46 drivers growing up to become e92 m3 drivers. No criticism! I drive 2 5ers right now (540i, 530i - both modded to make them more 'interesting' / less bourgeois) and I happen to like a modicum of comfort - but I also desire something edgier so it's this M3 or 997 CS2. Frankly, it's the F1-derived engine and not the looks that is swaying me.

Good ol' WA. Just had a cousin in for lunch today: he told me what houses are selling for in Cott' and Nedlands. I can imagine why your car is rare: many people must be spending a huge % of their income on the mortgage(s)! (Oz: "The Land of Negative Gearing" )

All the best, enjoy your magnificent M3 and have a safe and prosperous New Year (and no RBT)! My M3 or 997 is a good 12-15m away - must be patient, must be patient ...

Next time I'm in Oz I think I'll get over to visit some mates in WA ...

Last edited by Voltigeur; 12-30-2007 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriFix View Post
Best way to avoid the cops is keep them where you can see them:

Thats pretty ballsy sneaking that photo over your wheel GeriFix, knowing my luck he would have glanced in his rear vision mirror just as I lifted my camera/phone to take the picture and booked me!

W.A. is crazy these days, I cant believe how it has changed over the last five years.
I fly aeroplanes regularly out of Perth airport and it really is quite incredible to see just how many aircraft come and go these days thanks to the resources boom.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
sounds really awesome. only seen one black M3 in brisbane. interested to hear if you guys have driven the 335 and how it compares. can't afford an M3, could only afford a 335
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #18
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
sounds really awesome. only seen one black M3 in brisbane. interested to hear if you guys have driven the 335 and how it compares. can't afford an M3, could only afford a 335
Dan, this reply is a bit late in coming but I have just been driving the girlfriend's E92 323, which reminded me of the test drive I had in the 335 about 6 months ago.

The M3 certainly accelerates with much more urgency than the 335 (particularly when on the move in city traffic). It's engine can rapidly go from 2000rpm to 5000rpm in 3rd or 4th gear (it's almost instantaneous). The 335 was no slouch from memory, but the M3's engine seems more flexible. Mind you, the 335 I drove was automatic, which may have influenced this impression.

The ride on the 335/323 is not as smooth as the M3 (with EDC set on comfort). The 335/323 ride is more like the M3 on "sport" setting, perhaps just a little less stiff. I don't think I have driven any of the cars enough to comment with any great authority on cornering, but at city traffic speeds I think the 335 and M3 feel pretty similar.

After driving the 335, I thought it was pretty damn good and was about to order one until I test drove a 2006 M3, which felt just that little bit tighter and more responsive. The two cars were about the same price and I finally decided if I was going to spend that much, I'd be happier with the purchase if I went that bit further and got a new M3.
Appreciate 0