proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #1
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

EVO Magazine: M4 vs GT-R vs 911

Latest edition of UK Magazine EVO did a comparison test of the M4 vs GT-R and 911. Here are the scans of the (long) article:
Attached Images

Last edited by Boss330; 07-28-2014 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Thanks for the scans, good showing by the M4. I never realized how heavy the GTR is.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

I have so much respect for the GTR. And I for one think that it looks pretty cool. I'd take a GTR over an M4 anyday.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy
Thanks for the scans, good showing by the M4. I never realized how heavy the GTR is.
If you think about it, the GT-R is not that heavy at 1740kg for such a big ass car with AWD, it's really only ~110kg heavyer then the M4 wich is smaller in almost everyway, RWD and using a lot of carbon fiber.

I think BMW has succesfully misleaded a lot of people with their false statements that a base M4 was only 1500kg, and the other that we ear even more often by reviewers, that the new M3/M4 is 180lbs lighter then a similarily equipped E9x. Just a bunch of BS as some who weighted their F8x have shown us! :
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
If you think about it, the GT-R is not that heavy at 1740kg for such a big ass car with AWD, it's really only ~110kg heavyer then the M4 wich is smaller in almost everyway, RWD and using a lot of carbon fiber.

I think BMW has succesfully misleaded a lot of people with their false statements that a base M4 was only 1500kg, and the other that we ear even more often by reviewers, that the new M3/M4 is 180lbs lighter then a similarily equipped E9x. Just a bunch of BS as some who weighted their F8x have shown us! :
And it only gets 1MPG better gas mileage than the GTR with a whole lot less power, less weight and fewer driven wheels. tired of the efficient dynamics BS.

other than that a very solid showing for the M4. It always bugged me when people said it was unfair to compare the M4 to more expensive sports cars. Not only is it completely fair, but the M4 actually hold its own and then some.

Last edited by onatuesday; 07-28-2014 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post

AWD with almost unusable back seats from my experience. I would think for a car that doesn't need as much interior space that they could make it lighter. It's very much a sports car in design and intent, I'm surprised it weighs as much as it does.

Anyways, the initial 3300 lb claim I believe was for euro curb weight, as far as I know I haven't seen measurements of a stripper M3 under those conditions but I think it may be able to get under 3400.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

talk about a well-written review. a great read.

the conclusions also seemed objective and fair to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
As a sports car, agree that third is it's rightful place behind a 911 and GT-R. That was a fair, insightful article.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
talk about a well-written review. a great read.

the conclusions also seemed objective and fair to me.
EVO is generally very well written and consists of true car enthusiasts

The latest issue also has the following epic articles:

-Driving a Ferrari F40 from Switzerland to the UK (through some of the most famous mountain passes in Europe). This article has some breathtaking pictures as well...

-Nissan GT-R NISMO to Nurburgring (and at Spa as well)

-Aston V8 Vantage N430

-Racing the M235i at the Nurburgring 24h race

-1978 Lotus Esprit John Player Special edition
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Good read. I know Anglesey is a tight track but surprised the M is that much slower around a relatively short lap. And the 911 is not even an S.
      07-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Early tq curve coupled with a subframe thats bolted straight to the frame,makes controlling this car a handful at the limit.It will need much sticker tires in order to put the power down early..The 911 is down 75hp and 110tq and still manages to record a faster lap time..Wahts even more impressive is how this 3.4L NA motor is able to keep the mighty GTR in it's sights on this track.Respect!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM505SX View Post
Early tq curve coupled with a subframe thats bolted straight to the frame,makes controlling this car a handful at the limit.It will need much sticker tires in order to put the power down early..The 911 is down 75hp and 110tq and still manages to record a faster lap time..Wahts even more impressive is how this 3.4L NA motor is able to keep the mighty GTR in it's sights on this track.Respect!
goes to show you how freaking awesome the new 991 chassis is. its the single BEST car ive ever driven, I absolutely loved the 991s and 4s I drove.

I predicted some time ago that once the OMG EPS stage was over, people would realize the genius that is the 991 chassis. Its such a huge improvement over the 997 it feels like a 2 generation gap instead of just one.

that said, on a tight track I think the f8x did great. I do think that its clear that the PSS (everyones favorite tire here) was way overmatched in its 275 diameter on the track. I look forward to seeing how a set of say RE11 or ad08r tires in 295 perform.

I certainly would consider bumping up to 275/295 with a good set of 9.5/10.5 width wheels. At the minimum sounds like the m3/4 needs proper extreme summers for track duty.

however, seems like the car is set up for great fun as it is.

I loved this review because it talks about 3 of my favorite cars while accurately pointing out the positives and negatives of each. EVO really does write some of the best articles.

Im in amazement at how good sports cars are getting these days. The golden age of performance for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
goes to show you how freaking awesome the new 991 chassis is. its the single BEST car ive ever driven, I absolutely loved the 991s and 4s I drove.

I predicted some time ago that once the OMG EPS stage was over, people would realize the genius that is the 991 chassis. Its such a huge improvement over the 997 it feels like a 2 generation gap instead of just one.

that said, on a tight track I think the f8x did great. I do think that its clear that the PSS (everyones favorite tire here) was way overmatched in its 275 diameter on the track. I look forward to seeing how a set of say RE11 or ad08r tires in 295 perform.

I certainly would consider bumping up to 275/295 with a good set of 9.5/10.5 width wheels. At the minimum sounds like the m3/4 needs proper extreme summers for track duty.

however, seems like the car is set up for great fun as it is.

I loved this review because it talks about 3 of my favorite cars while accurately pointing out the positives and negatives of each. EVO really does write some of the best articles.

Im in amazement at how good sports cars are getting these days. The golden age of performance for sure.
I would think so,as in the passed,the M3 was always compared to the Carrera S.The results were pretty similar to this review with the Carrera S slightly ahead of the M3.Now it looks like the entry level Carrera is plenty good,speaks volumes about the 991 chassis.

Agree the M3 is very good chassis wise,as it should be...as development has been going on the f8x for years now.But at the end of the day the 911 is a clean sheet design and the M3 does not have the same advantage as it's based on the base 3 series chassis.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #14
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I would think so,as in the passed,the M3 was always compared to the Carrera S.The results were pretty similar to this review with the Carrera S slightly ahead of the M3.Now it looks like the entry level Carrera is plenty good,speaks volumes about the 991 chassis.

Agree the M3 is very good chassis wise,as it should be...as development has been going on the f8x for years now.But at the end of the day the 911 is a clean sheet design and the M3 does not have the same advantage as it's based on the base 3 series chassis.
completely agree. I think that the f8x will be hard pressed to be as much of an improvement over the e9x as the 991 was over the 997, mainly because the 997 had so many flaws. Shitty interior, horrible tech, bad ride quality, very poor body control, incredible amount of road noise, quite a bit of understeer, decent at best build quality.

the 991 is such a big improvement on all those fronts.

I do think the f8x is a big improvement over the e9x in a lot of ways, but it probably isn't the same huge jump as the 991 was, simply based on how much there was to improve on. the e9x was so far technically advanced compared to the 997, it was ridiculous. even the 997.2 just felt old and dated

sorry for going OT haha, back to f8x talk
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #15
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
+1, the base 911 results never cease to surprise me. Let's also not forget that it is actually down in power much more than the stated numbers if you believe the M4 dynos/understated consensus, making this even more of a beating.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
And it only gets 1MPG better gas mileage than the GTR with a whole lot less power, less weight and fewer driven wheels. tired of the efficient dynamics BS.

other than that a very solid showing for the M4. It always bugged me when people said it was unfair to compare the M4 to more expensive sports cars. Not only is it completely fair, but the M4 actually hold its own and then some.
In real life the M4 is actually much more fuel efficient than the GT-R. I had a 2014 GT-R for a year and used it as my daily driver. I averaged 18 MPG. Now with the M4 I get between 22 and 24 MPG on the same daily driving. I'm quite impressed with this level of efficiency. I also impressed as my wife's C63 routinely struggles to get 16 MPG.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #17
svc0x80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
In real life the M4 is actually much more fuel efficient than the GT-R. I had a 2014 GT-R for a year and used it as my daily driver. I averaged 18 MPG. Now with the M4 I get between 22 and 24 MPG on the same daily driving. I'm quite impressed with this level of efficiency. I also impressed as my wife's C63 routinely struggles to get 16 MPG.
How do you like the interior of the M4 vs the GTR?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #18
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
+1, the base 911 results never cease to surprise me. Let's also not forget that it is actually down in power much more than the stated numbers if you believe the M4 dynos/understated consensus, making this even more of a beating.
Good point,except the 911 has much less drivetrain loos due to its engine/trans/drivetrain configuration,either way the Porsche is way ahead as far as engineering superiority.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by svc0x80 View Post
How do you like the interior of the M4 vs the GTR?
The M4 is far more comfortable than the GT-R. Material quality is higher. The cabin feels far more spacious compared to the rather cramped GT-R. Also, the GT-R had almost no sound insulation. The stock run flat tires howl at any speed over 40 MPH and the exhaust has nasty and annoying drone at speeds between 65 and 75 MPH. Using Bluetooth for mobile calls was impossible on the freeway as the phone volume simply never gets loud enough to overcome all the cabin noise.

To its credit, the GT-R's air conditioner is actually more powerful than the M4's. On the really hot and humid North Carolina summer days, the GT-R had no trouble making me shiver. The M4 struggles to keep me comfortable.
Of course the fact that my M4 is BSM may also have something impact on the air conditioning ;-)

As a daily driver, with an average commute of about 25 minutes each way, the GT-R was a hoot, but I never found a road that could challenge it at anything near a legal speed. Note that to make the daily commute tolerable, I had to ditch the stock run flat tires and replace them with Pilot Super Sports which are much quieter. Even then I had to play the radio really loud to overcome the exhaust drone. By contrast, the M4 is comfortable for 4+ hour highway jaunts. It just does not have the brutal and hard edged performance of the GT-R. However, unless you have a really challenging road or a race track nearby, driving the GT-R is likely to get you into trouble as it feels so planted and secure you fail to notice that you are going 85-95 MPH on roads where other cars really get your attention at 70 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #20
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
EVO is generally very well written and consists of true car enthusiasts

The latest issue also has the following epic articles:

-Driving a Ferrari F40 from Switzerland to the UK (through some of the most famous mountain passes in Europe). This article has some breathtaking pictures as well...

-Nissan GT-R NISMO to Nurburgring (and at Spa as well)

-Aston V8 Vantage N430

-Racing the M235i at the Nurburgring 24h race

-1978 Lotus Esprit John Player Special edition
Boner.

I have one.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #21
LSs1Power
Boost junkie
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

The new M3/M4 reminds me of the time the Z06 came out and they put Goodyear Run Flats on it. Front end bit hard but the rears couldn't put the power down and always liked to oversteer losing too much time on exit.

I did a lap in a Z06 with run flats and then with the same car on Pirelli Corsa tire. I managed 1:28.4 on GY RF and then 1:22.6 on Corsa tires!

My point is, when you have a car which tend to oversteer, putting better tires would benefit it more as front bite is always dialed in (might induce slight understeer).

I'm not saying an M3/M4 would benefit that much because it starts with much better tires than the GY RF, but I would say there is at least 2 to 3 seconds on a short 1min 30 sec track especially if there is more than two 2nd gear corners.

It would suggest M3/M4 owners to try Pirelli Trofoe tires or MC Cup 2 tires. It will increase driver confidence with rear tire grip and allow to put the power better out of corners.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #22
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I don't care for how the GT-R looks. That wouldn't stop me from getting one. But the price does. Plus, with as heavy as it is why are the back seats so small? They're not much bigger than the 911 back seats. Really, they should just delete the back seats from both of them. But that's about it for gripes.

I'm glad to see the M4 did so well in this company. Not surprised it came in last though.

Cheers.