E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 6MT Racing Tips

12-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

6MT Racing Tips

I rate 6MT is extremely hard to race and get off the line, especially with the amount of bottom end torque we have and the open diff. I noticed lots of guys on here have owned or still own other fast cars and might have lots of tips and advice to offer on how to get going with good momentum. So I think we should add our pointers to this thread so maybe we can learn from each other. I'll start with some observations I picked up:

The Infamous E-brake torque technique

Well 1stly, I don't recommend this unless you have a very good strip with good traction. Will be pointless to try get boost off the line if the stack is slippery. Even then I'm not so sure it's a good idea as you can burn the clutch if you get it wrong. If you gonna' go for it, try to be steady with the revs and spring loaded and only get the rear end dropped a fraction before the lights go green.

Controlling Wheelspin

With an E46 M3 or example, when you break out you always keep your right foot planted and ride out the wheelspin. Maybe it's the moderate torque and the LSD, but it always hooks up eventually and then hits you into your seat and 1st gear is over in a flash.

With the 335, I find that once it breaks out it never stops. It will spin that whole gear. I think it's the open rear end, and once the torque starts going to the path of least resistance (which happens to be the spinning wheel), then it's gonna' continue going there. So the key is not the get it into that situation.

Rather err on the side of caution. It's better to have a semi-bog that a smoky burnout in a car with no LSD. You can get a decent launch with the right revs and feeding the power instead of stomping it. If it starts spinning try to control with small movements if your throttle instead of using the clutch. With the amount of torque chipped 335's have trying to slip it is looking for dead skunk.

Shifting

You know when we lift, the throttle plate closes and the pressure in the pipes gets relieved via the DV's? Well then when we crack open the throttle again after the shift, we have to build up the boost again. Which is why we lose boost between shifts. Well you can't do it on the 1st to 2nd shift, but the other ones you can try not lifting completely between shifts. I don't mean a power shift. Just leave the throttle like maybe a 1/4 open. It's hard to gauge where you at and it takes some practice, but you can get a much quicker respool if you get it right and it certainly can add up to a tenth or so on the 1/4 I'd guess, and a slight trap speed increase.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

Coming from two Evo.s before my 335i coupe,6MT i can tell you the best way to get off the line is a quick slip.Gotta be timed right as not to burn it,or to lift to quick and spin or bog depending on what tires your using.PRACTICE!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Interesting Tips! Thanks man. I think the number 1 thing in order to get off the line for us is ANYTHING BUT RFT's With my JB2H, ITG, and Cat Deletes, my worst enemy is Traction.

I definitely agree with not stomping on the pedal in 1st, you just dont go anywhere. I also find it better to ease her out a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

thanks for the tips
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
interesting.... i have to launch one to see what you mean @ wheel spin... kinda makes sense, but doesnt that mean ur launches are gonna be slower this way?

you mean you should feather the clutch right?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan335i View Post
Coming from two Evo.s before my 335i coupe,6MT i can tell you the best way to get off the line is a quick slip.Gotta be timed right as not to burn it,or to lift to quick and spin or bog depending on what tires your using.PRACTICE!
What is a "slip" ? Is that slow off the cluth instead of letting go of the clutch pedal asap? Or, is it a hand-off between the left and the right pedals? Or none of the above?
________
AleksaNicole live

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Anybody have any advice on how to launch and rshift gears in an xi. Do you turn DTC off or do you hold down the button and get DSC off too. I find it hard to get any wheelspin, but when i get off the line shifting 1st to second as fast as possible keeps boost in pretty well because the bov doesnt release. 2nd the 3rd i sometmes hold the gas pedal all the way down and try and time the shift to get it at around 7000rpms. Im def. an amateur at this so i was wondering what is the best way to shift between gears. Do you let off the gas or not between shifts?. lata
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramano View Post
Anybody have any advice on how to launch and rshift gears in an xi. Do you turn DTC off or do you hold down the button and get DSC off too. I find it hard to get any wheelspin, but when i get off the line shifting 1st to second as fast as possible keeps boost in pretty well because the bov doesnt release. 2nd the 3rd i sometmes hold the gas pedal all the way down and try and time the shift to get it at around 7000rpms. Im def. an amateur at this so i was wondering what is the best way to shift between gears. Do you let off the gas or not between shifts?. lata

I would...anything else just burns up the clutch..

I find launching the car in an XI tends to relate to broken parts faster than an I model would. I just prefer doing stupid speed down the CIP and catching air in certain places (did it twice, I dont think I will be doing it ever again lol)
Appreciate 0