E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > How do you remove the charge pipe!?

08-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

How do you remove the charge pipe!?

I've tried twice. What the heck is going on here???

Who has removed the charge pipe successfully and how did you do it? Can't believe there isn't a diy on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Which side are you having a problem with? The turbo outlet or the intercooler inlet side.
I usually remove the whole intercooler first, then the pipe. Are you removing the air box for more room?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh
Which side are you having a problem with? The turbo outlet or the intercooler inlet side.
I usually remove the whole intercooler first, then the pipe. Are you removing the air box for more room?
I'm on the inter cooler outlet side to install the meth bing below the IAT sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

there are just two clips that slide part way out of the tube. Im sure you see the one on top (at the end of the black elbow), the bottom is the same. Once you have the clips out and the tube slid off the throttle body and intercooler you just have to wrangle it out. The clips just slide about 1cm back and the the tube pulls off. Once the tube is disconnected, you can slide the clips back in if the space is needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Personally, I have never removed it, but there are a lot of folks that did and I'm sure they will chime in.

I would be dropping the intercooler for sure, at least on the outlet side. On the TB side, there should be a clip, same as on the intercooler side, you pull it up, and the pipe should slide out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Just as hooper said with one additional thing. Disconnect the IAT sensor. I have had hell disconnecting this one. I must be Underwriter's Laboratory for our connectors. I've destroyed 3 if them. I pulled this charge pipe and left IAT connected to harness while I did the EGR valve cleaning.

Anyone want to enlighten me about proper way to disconnect this guy?

To OP, you will need lower engine cover off to see lower clip/intercooler connection. It's a little bit of a tight pull to get pipe up through past the other adjacent hoses. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Just as hooper said with one additional thing. Disconnect the IAT sensor. I have had hell disconnecting this one. I must be Underwriter's Laboratory for our connectors. I've destroyed 3 if them. I pulled this charge pipe and left IAT connected to harness while I did the EGR valve cleaning.

Anyone want to enlighten me about proper way to disconnect this guy?

To OP, you will need lower engine cover off to see lower clip/intercooler connection. It's a little bit of a tight pull to get pipe up through past the other adjacent hoses. Best of luck.
im pretty sure I pulled the sensor out of the tube because the connector was too much of a pain to try to disconnect from the sensor. I havent really found any sensors on this car yet that are as easy as they should be to disconnect. There must be some strange german varmint that climbs in under hoods and disconnects sensors if they are easy to disconnect.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:02 AM   #8
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

I actually couldn't feel/see the lower clip until someone confirmed it for me, then I had it off 5 minutes later. I reached in from the top, standing at the drivers side fender. Left arm went down in front of the motor to guide the screwdriver my right hand was holding toward the clip. If that makes sense.

The IAT sensor was as simple as any clip. It reminds me of the clip you encounter behind the headlight switch when doing the rear fog mod. I guess if you learn on that one the IAT is suddenly easy?

Anyhow- got the meth kit fully installed tonight and tapped into fuse 41 (power windows?) but the light remains on despite whether or not the car is locked. Gotta find a new power source.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
Anyhow- got the meth kit fully installed tonight and tapped into fuse 41 (power windows?) but the light remains on despite whether or not the car is locked. Gotta find a new power source.
did you wait for a minute to be sure it doesnt go off? A lot of the power sources dont shut down for a good 30 seconds after the door is locked. If you wait around until you can hear more things shut off thats how I can tell if power is off to everything or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Depends how your car is programmed. You can code your window power to stay for 2 min or 5 min after you turn off the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
This might be helpful for you. I've been using this from the fuse box behind the glove box to power a few things (including the accessory 12V feed for the H2O controller). It's the accessory fuse (turns on/off with the start button). Using an add-a-fuse connector to splice in there...
Attached Images

08-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
This might be helpful for you. I've been using this from the fuse box behind the glove box to power a few things (including the accessory 12V feed for the H2O controller). It's the accessory fuse (turns on/off with the start button). Using an add-a-fuse connector to splice in there...

I have the identical fuse connector, and HAD the identical destination all sorted out until I got home and realized I bought the wider fuse version, so I had to choose an area on one of the wider fuses.

Thanks, TDIWyse. Your posts always bring value to the forums.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d
I actually couldn't feel/see the lower clip until someone confirmed it for me, then I had it off 5 minutes later. I reached in from the top, standing at the drivers side fender. Left arm went down in front of the motor to guide the screwdriver my right hand was holding toward the clip. If that makes sense.

The IAT sensor was as simple as any clip. It reminds me of the clip you encounter behind the headlight switch when doing the rear fog mod. I guess if you learn on that one the IAT is suddenly easy?

I used the cig lighter under the pass kick panel to activate a relay on the control side. Then the pump to relay to the battery with a fuse inline
Appreciate 0