THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Spotify + iPhone 5s via USB doesn't display proper song titles

08-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
turnstile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 35i

Spotify + iPhone 5s via USB doesn't display proper song titles

Does anyone else notice that running Spotify via their iPhone (connected to USB) does not display the proper song when it changes? It just displays the title of the first song played.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
CMDRRET
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport, MT

Spotify via USB

Yes, my display shows only the first song too. I would expect that would change, however, if the Spotify audio were connected via Bluetooth.

Any Spotify users with the Technology Package that can confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
turnstile
Private
Rep

I do have the tech package myself but never use BT audio because of the limited bandwidth that it plays back at. Since I have the Spotify Unlimited account I have everything streaming at 256kbps and above. Regardless, BMW shouldn't limit functionality due to additional options they offer.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDRRET View Post
Yes, my display shows only the first song too. I would expect that would change, however, if the Spotify audio were connected via Bluetooth.

Any Spotify users with the Technology Package that can confirm this?
I have the tech package and use Spotify via BT audio with my Nexus 5 phone.
The titles show up properly, however on occasion, it won't change when a song is changed, and it will refuse to skip to the next song via the steering wheel controls. It corrects itself after a song or two
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
eddie291
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Yeah, it must be an iDrive thing. I use beats music not spotify, but I get the same problem.
      08-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
turnstile
Private
Rep

I tried via BT myself and it does the same thing. Shows the first song played then never changes when the songs change. It really is amazing that a brand new car's technology doesn't work the way it's suppose to. And its not just one thing, look at Office with iOS 7.x. It's basically useless.

Does anyone know if BMW provides firmware or software updates for iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
samtnel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Alpine White

I have tech and use spotify (both USB and BT). Only the first song/album art shows up on both the nav screen and that little menu that shows up below the speedo via the scroll wheel on the steering. My old VW had a better set-up and wasn't as buggy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
GranSkyline
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Estoril M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Same problem in my '14 M235i and in my father's '14 750Li. I'm inclined to say it's an iPhone problem, cause of how Apple is, but have yet to try this with an Android phone (family is completely iPhone). I feel Android would perform better; what e90post_user described is better in the info regards, though I have never had trouble skipping through songs w/ BT, sometimes with USB, however. In the end, I think the popular OSes would need a standardized music interface (as I'm sure the stock apps have their own way and third-party apps might not need to interface properly).

Here's to hoping for a fix!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

I have enhanced BT and my song title and album art DOES change, it is just delayed. Sometimes so delayed that an entire song is missed. A little disappointing on a 2014 $50k car, but hey it drives like a dream.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
Does anyone know if BMW provides firmware or software updates for iDrive?
They do: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
      08-19-2014, 03:19 AM   #11
GranSkyline
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Estoril M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think it's warranted.

I was driving my sister's A5 recently, and title information switched without a problem there. So it seems it may not be an OS thing.

Doing some research, I found a bluetooth compatibility tool, and for the iPhone 5s (running 7.1), I got this:

Music can't be selected through iDrive when using a third-party music app, so that would be our problem. I checked the compatibility for the latest bmw telephone firmware (TN-2.34.1) and what I was running (TN-2.33.2). Both yielded the same results. Whether it will get fixed in the future, I have no idea. We're stuck for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Just playing music from my Iphone 5s using the y cable the correct song title is almost never shown. And if I use IDrive to select a different song, the correct song is played but display shows first song title. I've tried updating software but just get message "No USB device detected. I love my 228 but the electronics/IDrive/Entertainment suck big time

Edit

Discovered if I check RANDOM correct title displays every time
      08-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Just playing music from my Iphone 5s using the y cable the correct song title is almost never shown. And if I use IDrive to select a different song, the correct song is played but display shows first song title. I've tried updating software but just get message "No USB device detected. I love my 228 but the electronics/IDrive/Entertainment suck big time

Edit

Discovered if I check RANDOM correct title displays every time
Do you select RANDOM in spotify or in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis View Post
Do you select RANDOM in spotify or in iDrive?
In IDrive. i guess I should have started a new thread because I'm not using Spotify. Just playing music stored on my Iphone. But I have the same symptoms, incorrect song title displayed so I think its a Idrive problem. But tried it again this morning. When I have Random selected through Idrive correct song title is played. Unselect RANDOM and wrong title displayed. Weird
      08-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
In IDrive. i guess I should have started a new thread because I'm not using Spotify. Just playing music stored on my Iphone. But I have the same symptoms, incorrect song title displayed so I think its a Idrive problem. But tried it again this morning. When I have Random selected through Idrive correct song title is played. Unselect RANDOM and wrong title displayed. Weird
Whenever I use the iTunes music app, everything works flawlessly over bluetooth or plugged into USB.

Spotify will only ever show the first song played no matter what. I'm pretty sure even with random checked, people are still having issues with Spotify not showing correct info.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #16
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Same issue for me, with all third party music apps (including spotify). Have tech + premium + hk stereo. Same results on Bluetooth and USB.

Music.app on iphone works fine every time.

iPhone 5 with iOS 7
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

I don't understand how this could be on such a new car, when paired with a fairly old phone (iphone5s). I only have enhanced BT not tech, but I would be furious about something like this if I shelled out 3k for the tech package.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've found a pseudo-solution to this...

When iPhone 5S with iOS 7.1.2 is plugged into a tech pkg 2 series via USB and spotify is playing, assign one of the quick select numbers (1-9) to the Random Checkbox. I have my #4 assigned to "Random".

Everytime a song changes in spotify, I just hit #4 once and the album art, song info, and play time are all updated to the correct info.

It's still sad this isn't automatically refreshed on a $50k car...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis

When iPhone 5S with iOS 7.1.2 is plugged into a tech pkg 2 series via USB and spotify is playing, assign one of the quick select numbers (1-9) to the Random Checkbox. I have my #4 assigned to "Random".

Everytime a song changes in spotify, I just hit #4 once and the album art, song info, and play time are all updated to the correct info.

Thanks for the suggestion. Too bad we need such an ugly hack for this.

I updated my idrive system to the current firmware over the weekend but the problem remained the same
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
turnstile
Private
Rep

I've heard from the 'tech genius' that iOS8 (when released) will remedy quite a few problems with email, messaging, etc (with the iPhone). Might include some fixes with this issue as well. Pretty basic stuff if ya ask me. I do have a developers license with Apple but don't want to install the current v8 beta with my only phone else I'd give it a try. Im also guessing BMW will issue a new FW update when the release becomes public.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:39 AM   #21
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Tonight this actually worked correctly for me for spotify for the first time...

When I started the car, my iphone got into a weird state where it kept playing music in my music.app (itunes) collection, despite that app not running on my phone. So I opened music.app, killed it via the multitasker, and returned to spotify. All of a sudden the correct song info was being shown, along with album artwork. When I used the steering wheel control, I actually got a list of songs, but all the song titles were the same. This is different from the normal next/prev display.

The really weird thing was when I pressed the media button on idrive, it didn't say USB: Spotify, but rather displayed as if it was still playing with music.app as the source.

Color me confused. When I restarted the car next time, it's back to the old behavior. Iphone 5 on iOS 7.1
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel
Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis

Thanks for the suggestion. Too bad we need such an ugly hack for this.

I updated my idrive system to the current firmware over the weekend but the problem remained the same
thanks for this useful workaround. annoying the random button won't work w spotify via Bluetooth
Appreciate 0