ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Yet Another Stock Dyno Run

I got to run my car on the dyno today. 406whp and 402wtq. It was on a superflow dyno which usually reads pretty low. I'm impressed!

That torque curve is insane. When 2500 hits and that torque ramps up like that you could def hear it on the dyno.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

What were the comditions? Was this corrected or uncorrected? Do you have any experience running any other cars on this dyno?

Thank you for the data point.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
haynstyleM2
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

nice numbers; the new M is strong....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
What were the comditions? Was this corrected or uncorrected? Do you have any experience running any other cars on this dyno?

Thank you for the data point.
Yes I've had cars dyno'd in the past. I believe it was corrected since the graph looks so smooth. It was a 80 degree day and they used just one big fan up front and my hood was closed during the runs. The dyno was an AWD dyno.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

I took this photo of this e92 that was there with the VF620 supercharger kit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

And my buddy's Evo IX MR with the FP Red
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
ThomasM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

SAE?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

wow that must be low reading dyno.. fp red evo ix should easily hit 400whp.. esp with correct support bolt ons..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse
wow that must be low reading dyno.. fp red evo ix should easily hit 400whp.. esp with correct support bolt ons..
Yeah he said he got dyno'd before at over 400whp. He's getting it retuned by this place this week so maybe they'll get it to 400 on this dyno.

But seeing that reading low.. Makes me feel petty good about the m3 haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway... Why does torque drop so much after 3800?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice numbers, but somethings definitely off with the power plateau up top... It only keeps max power for roughly 1000rpm when it should keep max power all the way to 7300rpm!

Perhaps to hot and it not managing to add enough boost on top, or having to pull timing because of high IAT's?

It would be nice to see the boost, IAT and timing logging for that run.

Also be aware that if the numbers are corrected to SAE or similar, then that actually represents a double correction since the DME already had corrected for the "non SAE" conditions by adding boost... The S55's DME is programmed to add boost to compensate for high altitude and/or high temps. It does this in order to meet it's 425hp target no matter the conditions (within limits of course). That means that on the S55, you should see the same UNCORRECTED hp readings both on a cold and hot day (but with different boost). But if the dyno operator chooses to use the dynos SAE correction you will not get any correction if the conditions where the same as per SAE, but a large correction on a hot day... But the engine made exactly the same HP in real life on both days, because it had adapted and corrected (by adding boost on the hot day) already by itself, unlike any NA engine and most other turbo engines.

This makes dynoing the S55 a bit different because ideally boost, IAT and timing should be datalogged to see if it corrects for conditions by adding boost. And since the S55 already corrects for conditions, adding SAE correction on top of that would be a "double dipping" and gives inflated numbers...

Don't get me wrong. This takes nothing away from the performance of your car! It's just a general comment on caution being needed when dynoing these cars as regards SAE correction (and why we are seeing inflated numbers compared to BMW claimed numbers). If we see 1/4 mile trap speeds consistently at 120+ MPH, then I would say 400+ WHP probably is correct (and BMW having under stated the numbers). If we see the trap speeds we have so far, then it's just around within 5% of factory numbers IMO (taking into consideration the significantly higher average HP in each gear under acceleration due to the flat power plateau of the S55 compared to any NA engine).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Beast
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

After my most spirited drive to date in my F80 ( close to broken in ) today. About 4h through the Italian, Swiss and Austrians alps with numerous Stelvio like serpentine roads and open roads mixed with traffic where I probably overtook ~ 50 times to me the car feels like a close to 500 hp ( crank rated ) car from my butt dyno. It doesn't have nearly the top end drama of the S65 but it passes cars like a bullet and pin my wife nicely to the seat. It feels wayyyyyy stronger than for example the N63TU at 440 hp, wayyyyyyy stronger. Sure the lower weight and the LSD contributes but g'damn it pulls hard from down low. Modest P-cars disappear quickly in the rear view mirror during acceleration... The car feel big though, and I really wish the steering was more communicative. It's the one thing that I miss more than the S65.

It is a bit of beast for sure. Very impressive power and I had genuinely fun today, something the F10 for example wasn't able to be on the same/similar roads. The suspension is great.

Last edited by solstice; 08-10-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
Canyon_Dancer
Banned
Brazil
Rep
Drives: F82!

I'm glad it's growing on you solstice. It'll be interesting to see how you feel in 6 months time.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #16
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
After my most spirited drive to date in my F80 ( close to broken in ) today. About 4h through the Italian, Swiss and Austrians alps with numerous Stelvio like serpentine roads and open roads mixed with traffic where I probably overtook ~ 50 times to me the car feels like a close to 500 hp ( crank rated ) car from my butt dyno. It doesn't have nearly the top end drama of the S65 but it passes cars like a bullet and pin my wife nicely to the seat. It feels wayyyyyy stronger than for example the N63TU at 440 hp, wayyyyyyy stronger. Sure the lower weight and the LSD contributes but g'damn it pulls hard from down low. Modest P-cars disappear quickly in the rear view mirror during acceleration... The car feel big though, and I really wish the steering was more communicative. It's the one thing that I miss more than the S65.

It is a bit of beast for sure. Very impressive power and I had genuinely fun today, something the F10 for example wasn't able to be on the same/similar roads. The suspension is great.
Since your tires are broken in now, have you been checking/fiddling with the tire pressure? Might be worth trying a few minor adjustments on the front end to see how the steering reacts.

Nice review on the power. I will add that you are getting alot more effective wheel torque through the gearing on the S55/M3 than the N63TU and how that car was geared.

One of my biggest lessons was that the e39 m5's S62 was an absolutely amazing engine. The beast. But it was connected to some rather tall gearing and a 3.15 final drive ratio, moderating it's feeling of acceleration quite significantly.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Since your tires are broken in now, have you been checking/fiddling with the tire pressure? Might be worth trying a few minor adjustments on the front end to see how the steering reacts.

Nice review on the power. I will add that you are getting alot more effective wheel torque through the gearing on the S55/M3 than the N63TU and how that car was geared.

One of my biggest lessons was that the e39 m5's S62 was an absolutely amazing engine. The beast. But it was connected to some rather tall gearing and a 3.15 final drive ratio, moderating it's feeling of acceleration quite significantly.
I'm sleeping in Innsbruck tonight and will leave for drop-off in Munich tomorrow so tire pressure fiddling will have to wait. IMO it just feels too numb for any tire pressure optimization to overcome. On the other hand any improvement is welcome. Sorry for thread hijacking, I was just going to add to the thread that the car definitely feels like +400 whp on the open road. And that's what counts for me. Nice dyno chart, the top end look a bit strange but it also reflects quite well how it feels, no need to wring out this engine to the redline.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I'm sleeping in Innsbruck tonight and will leave for drop-off in Munich tomorrow so tire pressure fiddling will have to wait. IMO it just feels too numb for any tire pressure optimization to overcome. On the other hand any improvement is welcome. Sorry for thread hijacking, I was just going to add to the thread that the car definitely feels like +400 whp on the open road. And that's what counts for me. Nice dyno chart, the top end look a bit strange but it also reflects quite well how it feels, no need to wring out this engine to the redline.
Solstice: Your profile says 2015 M3 on the way... You need to update that

And what you say about the car feeling like it's +400whp... That's what counts!!! (well empirically obtained data counts was well...)

You could say that in a way it doesn't matter if it has 300 or 400whp. As long as it pulls like you have experienced and puts a smile on your face, then that's what you feel and experience. That's what matters the most!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Solstice: Your profile says 2015 M3 on the way... You need to update that

And what you say about the car feeling like it's +400whp... That's what counts!!! (well empirically obtained data counts was well...)

You could say that in a way it doesn't matter if it has 300 or 400whp. As long as it pulls like you have experienced and puts a smile on your face, then that's what you feel and experience. That's what matters the most!
The car is a bit of a brute in the way it looks, sound and pulls and steer. A bit like a European 4-door Corvette actually. There's not much sophistication about it's demeanor...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #20
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
The car is a bit of a brute in the way it looks, sound and pulls and steer. A bit like a European 4-door Corvette actually. There's not much sophistication about it's demeanor...
Go on...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #21
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Nice numbers, but somethings definitely off with the power plateau up top... It only keeps max power for roughly 1000rpm when it should keep max power all the way to 7300rpm!

Perhaps to hot and it not managing to add enough boost on top, or having to pull timing because of high IAT's?

It would be nice to see the boost, IAT and timing logging for that run.

Also be aware that if the numbers are corrected to SAE or similar, then that actually represents a double correction since the DME already had corrected for the "non SAE" conditions by adding boost... The S55's DME is programmed to add boost to compensate for high altitude and/or high temps. It does this in order to meet it's 425hp target no matter the conditions (within limits of course). That means that on the S55, you should see the same UNCORRECTED hp readings both on a cold and hot day (but with different boost). But if the dyno operator chooses to use the dynos SAE correction you will not get any correction if the conditions where the same as per SAE, but a large correction on a hot day... But the engine made exactly the same HP in real life on both days, because it had adapted and corrected (by adding boost on the hot day) already by itself, unlike any NA engine and most other turbo engines.

This makes dynoing the S55 a bit different because ideally boost, IAT and timing should be datalogged to see if it corrects for conditions by adding boost. And since the S55 already corrects for conditions, adding SAE correction on top of that would be a "double dipping" and gives inflated numbers...

Don't get me wrong. This takes nothing away from the performance of your car! It's just a general comment on caution being needed when dynoing these cars as regards SAE correction (and why we are seeing inflated numbers compared to BMW claimed numbers). If we see 1/4 mile trap speeds consistently at 120+ MPH, then I would say 400+ WHP probably is correct (and BMW having under stated the numbers). If we see the trap speeds we have so far, then it's just around within 5% of factory numbers IMO (taking into consideration the significantly higher average HP in each gear under acceleration due to the flat power plateau of the S55 compared to any NA engine).
If it helps here's the AFR graph they gave me. I'll have to ask them if it was corrected or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #22
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0