E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete - EGT/AIT/Oil Temp Logging - With/Without Meth

08-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

DPF Delete - EGT/AIT/Oil Temp Logging - With/Without Meth

Hey guys, recently had the EcoTune full package put on and added a snow-performance stage 2 diesel meth kit as well. About 88 degrees and near 100% humidity for the runs on a closed course 0-140 mph.

Some interesting data here, the car seems very happy on meth (lol):

All data captured with BMWhat App then put in excel and converted to Fahrenheit.

With 625 ml/min meth spraying:
*very consistent and low AIT
*similar EGT to non-meth

Last edited by 335iPSI; 12-11-2014 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
Hey guys, recently had the EcoTune full package put on and added a snow-performance stage 2 diesel meth kit as well. About 88 degrees and near 100% humidity for the runs on a closed course 0-140 mph.

Some interesting data here, the car seems very happy on meth (lol):

All data captured with BMWhat App then put in excel and converted to Fahrenheit.

With 625 ml/min meth spraying:
*very consistent and low AIT
*similar EGT to non-meth

WITHOUT meth:
*skyrocketing AIT up to 190!
*EGT same as with meth
Data ... I love it.

Questions:

Your bottom chart without H2O/methanol seems to show ~10 seconds of time and starts with an EGT of 465F. The top chart with seems to show ~13 seconds of time and starts with an EGT of 577. From the time stamps it appears you did the pull with the H2O/methanol after the other pull. Is that correct?

Is the section of data for these pulls you are showing from the last portion of the 0-140 mph pull and you are leaving out the first part of each pull?

It appears you must be injecting before the IAT (which is good) as the sensor is seeing the lowered intake air charge temps.

What was the concentration of H2O to methanol? Just curious as the data I've collected shows significant EGT reductions and it isn't obvious from your data that are seeing that (although if you align the EGT curves across rpm instead of time for the comparison it might show better).

As an example from a dyno comparison of IAT's and EGT's: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=872

Even with ~60 more rwhp than the Ecotune by itself the EGT's were substantially better. And this was on a dyno with no fans blowing on the radiator/intercooler to shed heat.
      08-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Data ... I love it.

Questions:

Your bottom chart without H2O/methanol seems to show ~10 seconds of time and starts with an EGT of 465F. The top chart with seems to show ~13 seconds of time and starts with an EGT of 577. From the time stamps it appears you did the pull with the H2O/methanol after the other pull. Is that correct?

Is the section of data for these pulls you are showing from the last portion of the 0-140 mph pull and you are leaving out the first part of each pull?

It appears you must be injecting before the IAT (which is good) as the sensor is seeing the lowered intake air charge temps.

What was the concentration of H2O to methanol? Just curious as the data I've collected shows significant EGT reductions and it isn't obvious from your data that are seeing that (although if you align the EGT curves across rpm instead of time for the comparison it might show better).

As an example from a dyno comparison of IAT's and EGT's: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=872

Even with ~60 more rwhp than the Ecotune by itself the EGT's were substantially better. And this was on a dyno with no fans blowing on the radiator/intercooler to shed heat.
Great questions:

1. I did numerous runs, but couldn't always get a clean start and didn't always go to 140, so really it was as much as I could squeeze in, in the given space I had (on my closed track). So, I think I only made it to around 115 without the meth, and made it to 135 or so on the meth for those two runs. The car was definitely not "cold" when starting either run as you could see from the starting temps, but I wanted a representation of an abnormally hot condition to try and get a worst-case scenario.

2. Yes, injecting before the AIT sensor.

3. The first batch I was using here was 70%, as it was already pre-mixed for another car that uses that. I'm going to drop it down to 30% meth concentration and re-do the runs probably tonight, I'm less worried about power and more concerned about lowering temps for the HPDE.
      08-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
Great questions:

1. I did numerous runs, but couldn't always get a clean start and didn't always go to 140, so really it was as much as I could squeeze in, in the given space I had (on my closed track). So, I think I only made it to around 115 without the meth, and made it to 135 or so on the meth for those two runs. The car was definitely not "cold" when starting either run as you could see from the starting temps, but I wanted a representation of an abnormally hot condition to try and get a worst-case scenario.

2. Yes, injecting before the AIT sensor.

3. The first batch I was using here was 70%, as it was already pre-mixed for another car that uses that. I'm going to drop it down to 30% meth concentration and re-do the runs probably tonight, I'm less worried about power and more concerned about lowering temps for the HPDE.
Thanks for the clarification.

It would seem that there likely is some EGT reduction. Could probably see that better if you graphed those curves on top each other with rpm being the x-axis.

It also makes sense that with 70% methanol you won't see as much EGT reduction. I haven't ran with that high of a concentration (~60% is the highest I've gone), but have noticed when crossing the 50/50 ratio the EGT reduction starts dropping off pretty fast.

Good luck on your HPDE.