E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Let it be told 2007 (Sterling vs. Passport)

12-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Let it be told 2007 (Sterling vs. Passport)

After being hit or miss on here recently (at best) I wanted to give some history on a bad, but turned good experience I recently went through.

As of about 2 months ago, I was having issues with my idrive. I was having the occasional incredibly slow controller inputs that have been somewhat common with older SW versions. I had the idrive freeze completely on two occasions in the entertainment menu. I also had it at one point where I could not select the assist menu on the right hand side.

I took my car to BMW of Sterling on two occasions and demonstrated the issue. I also pointed out that there was the SIB for the slow idrive controller responses. The first time, they just flat out refused to do the software upgrade. The second time was for my 15k service, and after demonstrating to them for the second time the problems I was having, they said they would take care of it on my 15k service.

I go to pick up my car after its service, and they tell me again that they refused to do the software upgrade and now blamed it on the fact that I had paired a non-BMW approved phone (which I come to find out later that my phone is on the BMW approved bluetooth list). I talk to the BMW of Sterling Service Department head, and still no headway. BMW of Sterling simply denied the software upgrade after repeated demonstrations of problems, and blamed my phone (which was not the issue) and continued to refuse to fix it.

I was incredibly frustrated with BMW of Sterling at this point, and will probably never step foot in their dealership again. Knowing how well Passport BMW has treated forum members in the past, I contact the head of the Service Department at Passport and explain the situation.

I get a quick response from Roland P. at the Passport, and start to figure a way to get my car in for the software upgrade. After briefly discussing the problem with Roland, he arranges for one of his tech's (who also lives in Ashburn) to bring a loaner to me, exchange cars, and bring it in for service. The Tech (Andrew) was more than helpful in the experience as well.

I swap cars with Andrew, the car goes in and gets the much needed SW upgrade. He brings my car back, and the issue is taken care of. It says a lot about a dealership if they are willing to be this accommodating to a customer, and willing to go the extra mile (literally).

BMW of Sterling lost my future business with this. After seeing how well Passport treats their customers, I would give them a 6 out of 5 with this service experience. Passport certainly won my business in the future. A big thanks to Roland and Andrew to handle this service.

I think that people here should be aware of how well Passport treats customers, and should strongly consider them as the dealership to go in the DC Metro area for service as well as sales.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Nice! always good to hear were someone found good service. Passport seems to be the real winner around here. A few bumps here and there, but mostly good experiences. I have been considering BMW of Fairfax's new facility hoping it is not just a new building, but a new mentality as well.

Has anyone had service at the new BMW of Fairfax garage? How did it go?
With all the accolades for Passport, I may not even want to waste my time with BMW of Fairfax.

Thanks B19...good info.
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
It all depends on who you work with. I'm sure that every SA at Passport will not give you the red carpet treatment. I only deal with Peyton Wilson at Sterling and he treats me right (and sometimes beyond) every time. He's a true car guy and into modding and pro-am racing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Yes, Peyton has been good for me at Sterling, too. I'm debating going to Passport for my "15K" mile service (which actually will be at around 18K or 19K). I have yet to try Passport's service department, but it generally gets good reviews on other forums. I bought my car there, and their sales team is EXCELLENT. Plus, they support this forum and our meets.

FWIW, Sterling has given me a software update and a loaner, so I have no complaints there. I am a little miffed that they refused to acknowledge that the little "bump" I feel when turning the steering wheel 180 degrees is an issue. That is the original reason I brought the car in. There is an SIB that describes my issue, but I am out of the date of manufacture range. The Sterling service manager tested my steering and first said he couldn't feel it, then said he could feel it but it was normal for all E90s. Listen, I know it is really slight, but it's not normal. Hell, the E90 they gave me as a loaner didn't have it. I'll ask Passport to look at it.

Not to drift too far OT, but two reasons I may not get the steering issue addressed, at least not right away -- (1) it's even less noticeable with my winter tires, so I may wait until I put the summer tires back on; (2) I think the fix is to replace the steering column. KL2DC had his steering column replaced for a different issue, and said his steering was much lighter after the replacement. My steering is perfectly weighted now and I would not trade "no bump" for "light steering."

Anyway, glad to hear you got our iDrive issues addressed, bavarian19.
      12-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ACP View Post
It all depends on who you work with. I'm sure that every SA at Passport will not give you the red carpet treatment. I only deal with Peyton Wilson at Sterling and he treats me right (and sometimes beyond) every time. He's a true car guy and into modding and pro-am racing.
By the way, Peyton was my SA, too. Unfortunately, he is no longer at Sterling. I just called for my 15K service and was informed that he is no longer there.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
tman
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV

Garage List
2014 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I always had excellent service from Ben at Sterling. Fwiw.

2014 I01 i3 BEV
2011 E91 328i xDRIVE TOURING
| 2010 F83 X3 3.0i xDRIVE | 2006 E90 330i 6MT (Ret)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
By the way, Peyton was my SA, too. Unfortunately, he is no longer at Sterling. I just called for my 15K service and was informed that he is no longer there.
NO!!! Say it ain't so!!!

Now I'll have to find another SA who doesn't care about mods or ProCEDE on my car.

Do you know where he's at now???
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
NO!!! Say it ain't so!!!

Now I'll have to find another SA who doesn't care about mods or ProCEDE on my car.

Do you know where he's at now???
I have no idea. I sort of invited another CA to tell me what happened with him, but he did not offer any info, and I did not want to push in case it was a bad/sensitive situation. Peyton did indicate that he had a don't ask/don't tell policy about the whole piggyback situation, which was very cool. But I must say that Sterling has been very mod-friendly with me even before I was working with Peyton.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
My car is now telling me it's time for the first scheduled service (I'm at 16.5K miles, I think). Actually, the count down is at 800 miles, but that seems to be the point where it starts giving you the warning triangle instead of just the number.

I'm debating Sterling or Passport. Peyton was my SA at Sterling, and it's a shame he's gone. Sterling is like 5 minutes from work, Passport is -- well, Passport, and I'd like to support them if they weren't so damn far away.
      12-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
PSI Power
Twin Power Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP SO

I am in the same boat as well. I am at 16k and need my first scheduled maintenance. I called a few days ago and was informed that Payton was no longer there. I have an appointment with Sterling next Thursday with Joseph??

Trying to debate whether to to Passport or Sterling.
'06 Honda S2000, Laguna Blue - Current
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #11
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSI Power View Post
I am in the same boat as well. I am at 16k and need my first scheduled maintenance. I called a few days ago and was informed that Payton was no longer there. I have an appointment with Sterling next Thursday with Joseph??

Trying to debate whether to to Passport or Sterling.
I just had my one year inspection and state safety inspection done at Sterling yesterday afternoon--I spoke to Joseph when I scheduled, but he was booked, so he referred me to Shawn Peace. Shawn is a great guy and the service was flawless. I had some rattling/squeaking coming from my dash around the center channel speaker, and they tightened all of the connections up in that area even though they could not replicate the noise. Shawn also complimented me on all of my mods and did not try to cite my suspension or exhaust as causes for the rattling noise (not that I expected that, but some dealers will make such claims). A+ service.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've dealt with Shawn @ Sterling once. He was totally professional, but it seemed forced and the friendly demeanor kinda phony. I don't think he's a mod-friendly or much of a car guy -- saw him drive a very old and beat-up Corolla after his shift.

My salesguy is friends with Peyton, so I'll try to find out where he went.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Peyton works at Funktion Auto in Sterling now. I believe they hosted several BMWCCA DIY events in the past.

http://www.funktionauto.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Peyton works at Funktion Auto in Sterling now. I believe they hosted several BMWCCA DIY events in the past.

http://www.funktionauto.com/
Wow--great info. I didn't even know about this place. I've been running all over the place experimenting with shops to do aftermarket work on my 335 and GTI.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
KWA VaTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350Z

I had a very similar experience when picking a dealer. I went to Sterling and they would not name a price they kept holding out for me to name a price. Just felt like I was getting no where, besides the fact that they were a little rude. Guys were joking around, kind of felt like they didn’t have time for me.

At Passport, it was a friendly yet business approach, what a night and day difference. As soon as I get to the door “may I help you”, “want some water”. Going to a BMW dealership for the first time this was the way I was expecting to be treated. Was quickly introduced to the manager and head of financing for another example.

They come and get your car wherever you live for service, that right there is amazing! Not to mention they had the cheapest price.

In the end I feel much better supporting Passport then Sterling but, that was just my experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #16
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Yes, Peyton has been good for me at Sterling, too. I'm debating going to Passport for my "15K" mile service (which actually will be at around 18K or 19K). I have yet to try Passport's service department, but it generally gets good reviews on other forums. I bought my car there, and their sales team is EXCELLENT. Plus, they support this forum and our meets.

FWIW, Sterling has given me a software update and a loaner, so I have no complaints there. I am a little miffed that they refused to acknowledge that the little "bump" I feel when turning the steering wheel 180 degrees is an issue. That is the original reason I brought the car in. There is an SIB that describes my issue, but I am out of the date of manufacture range. The Sterling service manager tested my steering and first said he couldn't feel it, then said he could feel it but it was normal for all E90s. Listen, I know it is really slight, but it's not normal. Hell, the E90 they gave me as a loaner didn't have it. I'll ask Passport to look at it.

Not to drift too far OT, but two reasons I may not get the steering issue addressed, at least not right away -- (1) it's even less noticeable with my winter tires, so I may wait until I put the summer tires back on; (2) I think the fix is to replace the steering column. KL2DC had his steering column replaced for a different issue, and said his steering was much lighter after the replacement. My steering is perfectly weighted now and I would not trade "no bump" for "light steering."

Anyway, glad to hear you got our iDrive issues addressed, bavarian19.

is your steering problem a binding and popping when turning? If yes, then get the steering rack replaced. I did and it feels just like new now, the steering is still nice and heavy and I have no problems w/ it
      12-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #17
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
is your steering problem a binding and popping when turning? If yes, then get the steering rack replaced. I did and it feels just like new now, the steering is still nice and heavy and I have no problems w/ it
It's a slight thump when turning at low speed. Where did you go to get yours done? Who was the SA? You can PM me if you would rather not post that info. Sterling test drove my car and declared nothing wrong. Admittedly, the issue is very slight on my car, but I notice it. It's good to hear your steering still feels heavy after the replacement.