Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Tflong24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Oil

So, the manual states the preferred oil is 0-W30(even tho there has been debate on which oil to use...strange). I know it's is common knowledge BMW uses Castrol products for oil. However I am a Mobil 1 guy. I was looking on their website and they have a racing oil in 0-w30 grade. All of the attributes and advantages listed for the oil are what I would consider optimum for the M (higher heat durability, extreme wear protection, extreme cleaning agents etc.). However it said not recommended for street use. I am no oil expert, but if it is the correct grade/viscosity, what would the oil do on the street that it won't do on the track or vise versa. All of the features sound exactly what a high performance engine would require/benefit from. Anyway, you oil experts please explain.
Appreciate 0