Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

Clay Bar Questions

Anyone familiar with Clay bars?

Am going to start claying my m4, but have never used one before. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD

Am going to start claying my m4, but have never used one before. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks
Just put plenty of quick detailer on the area and get a good claybar
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post

Thanks
If it were me doing this for the first time - I would volunteer to do it on a buddy's car or my other car. Even the simplest things can be a challenge when its your first time. Don't know about you but every time I do something like this I always find better ways to do it the "next" time. Weather it's the 1st or the 20th.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115
Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post

Thanks
If it were me doing this for the first time - I would volunteer to do it on a buddy's car or my other car. Even the simplest things can be a challenge when its your first time. Don't know about you but every time I do something like this I always find better ways to do it the "next" time. Weather it's the 1st or the 20th.

Good luck.
Fold clay when it get dirty and use tone of quick detailer. Its not rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

My only clay bar tips are as follows (beyond the above tips, which are good):

1) You can tell whether your car needs to be clayed, or not, by just feeling your paint texture after you wash/dry your car. I just washed my M4 for the first time yesterday and the paint is so clean/contaminant-free, I went right ahead and used some spray polish. No clay needed! I'll wax it shortly

2) After driving the car through the winter, or through a rain storm where road contaminants splash onto the paint...you can literally "feel" the surface of your paint and the bumpiness (w/no visible evidence) of the contaminants. Spray liberally w/Speed Shine (I use Griot's Garage) and lightly glide the clay over the paint. You'll see the yellow clay begin to turn brown/black w/the contaminants and feel the resistance as you glide the clay over the paint

3) Careful of letting any dirt get on the clay or of not using enough spray lube. The clay will get hung-up if you don't have enough spray on the paint, so do a small section (one door, for instance) at a time

I don't do my whole car...I only use clay where I feel the contaminants after washing.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

i just clayed my wife's car over the weekend. had a question-

assuming using enough quick detail is being used to keep it slippery, is it possible to push too hard on the claybar to the paint? wife's car had a lot of sap stains, and had push it pretty hard to make the bar effective. it was great on everywhere else.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
M42N8
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordering an M550

No...you really can't hurt anything by pushing too hard with clay, but I wouldn't try getting sap off with clay. Get a good bug and tar removing solution on it first. You're just contaminating the clay that much faster with all that sap.

I really like this product:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/searc...x=0&search.y=0

NanoSkin Autoscrub. Works exactly like clay, but you use it on a DA polisher. They have a hand version too, but so much faster on a DA, especially compared to using clay. Also, clay eventually needs to be tossed and if you drop it you pretty much have to toss it. While the NanoSkin you just rinse off the pad.

Check out all the YouTube videos on it too. And if you don't have a DA you can get one at Harbor Freight tools for under $100. Not the best quality one...not one a pro would use...but good enough for someone just using it for their own car here and there.
Appreciate 1
cehrl7806.00
      01-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
F82speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 6MT

^ +1, haven't tried it with my DA yet but did a couple areas with a NanoSkin sponge by hand and it worked pretty well, plus the "rinsability" vs replacement is definitely nice
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I like griots clay bar and griots speed shine as lube. The clay is nice and soft to work with and doesn't mar the paint unlike a different brand clay I tried a while ago that completely necessitated polishing afterwards. I tried using optimum no rinse wash as lube recently and that worked well and is very cost effective, however I already got a gallon of speed shine.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Librocation is your friend when claying, keep both the clay and the surface well lubed. I'd advise a medium clay. Some are even now suitable with soapy water. Clay cloths are handy for just the odd bits and bobs, but tend to only be a fine clay.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
GBGASTOWERS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 CONV MT,YMB,SS

There is new way to do this with a clay bar mitt I saw on another forum
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Yeah same deal as a clay cloth, fine clay so good for inbetween full decontamination sessions. I'm a traditionalist with this and would stick to a clay bar, at least you can throw away chunks of it once your done.
Appreciate 0