BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
tcinoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235

i3 or m235i ?

I would like to hear some opinions and/or thoughts...

I have had a few BMW's. I have had a 540i and then 545i and then when gas was over $5 I moved into a 335i coupe. The 5's were manual transmissions which I really enjoy driving. I moved into the 3 too quick so didn't get a manual tran or the color I would of preferred. I am in a lease with the 335i. My lease expires in Oct.

So... I was VERY excited when I first heard of the i3 back in late 2013. I went to the LA auto show and got to do a test drive. I was thinking that this car worked for me. The info at the time was limited. Then the events started happening at the dealers with the i3 team traveling around. I went to a few in my area. Still, the info was limited. I was bummed that I couldn't put a rack on top for my surfboard or bicycle....and I was bummed at the wind noise I heard going top freeway speed.

Once I found out about the lease residual being so high and that it didn't make sense to lease, I was bummed again. boom! Here comes along the m235i.

The m235i was in limited supply and I figured I would just order a manual along with the color and options that I wanted. Yes, it is gas. Yes, it is a 'go fast' car. It is pure BMW.

So, I order the m235i and have no legal hold to purchase it (CA law). I haven't put any money down. Now the lease for the i3 is much more attractive. I haven't met with my CA to discuss, but I know the deal is more aggressive than a few months ago.

I did my homework on the i3. I would want Tera w/REX. I do drive to/from and out and about for work, but am in a metro area and close enough to everything to at least feel confident that I would be fine with home charging etc. Our company is moving into a new building that will have charging stations on the property. I will easily put 50k on either car in three years. I read both the i3 and '2' forums.

I would really like to hear from you guys/gals here. This is a long way to go to ask simply, i3 or m235i?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

It really depends on your needs. The i3, even with the REx, isn't perfect...it is designed as an urban, city car. Yes, certainly it can go above the legal speed limits, and yes, it can go, but if you run into some steep, long grades at the end of your charge, the REx may not keep up. And, if you can't recharge, you'll need to refill maybe in less that an hour or so between fillups.

I have a second car, but find that I'm driving the i3 (BEV) nearly all of the time. If there's a question of max range or the ability to secure a working EVSE along the route (or if I don't want to wait for it), I take my ICE.

Personally, if your i3 will be your only car, and your think you can treat it like an ICE and just put in more gas and keep going on a long trip, you are likely to be disappointed. But, if you treat it as a city car with a backup in case you misjudge, it should work more reliably. Sans high-speed long distance, or long grades, it can go long distances, but wouldn't be my first choice. Depending on how you drive, if you had to rent one for longer trips, you may eat up any savings over using it from normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcinoc View Post
. . . . , i3 or m235i?

Thank you
The lease on my 135i / 6M (w Dinan stg II software) ended in June. It has been my favorite day to day car of all time and following a very long line of BMW's going back to 1975.

I had been reading (everything i could find) on both the i3 and the M235i, and in a wait and see move, bought the 135i out of the lease. I drove the i3 at the first local test event as was truly impressed with how it drove, the cool interior, it's compact proportions (I live in San Francisco), and the impressive technology and design. I want to make it work, but . . . .

I just can't get my arms around the range issue. 98 to 99% of the time I would be well within the battery range. That said I have a few weekends where I drive over 150 miles without an opportunity to plug in. I could take my wife's 328i wagon though most of those times I leave she would be heading off a similar distance.

They hooked me with the world version rex and then gave us the hobbled USA version. Truly makes me mad because they really captured my passion. I could tolerate the work-a rounds associated with occasional travel with the control over the rex motor and slightly more usable gas tank of the rex everyone else gets. That said I don't think the current setup will get me safely (and sanely) to and from my destination on these periodic weekends.

So I continue to drive my 135i burning premium with reckless abandon. I have no need for an HOV sticker, just give us a third option, the world market rex. I'll lease it the day it arrives here.
1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Today I drove an i3 loaner while my M3 was getting its 1,200 break in service. First I was very impressed with the acceleration, features and packaging. I could get along with a daily 70 mile range. But I did not like driving it in a very spirited way. There was a bit too much body role and the Eco tires were losing adhesion. That being said if you like to drive in a spirited BMW fashion I think you need to go straight to the M235i.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
If I lived in a place where charging won't be a problem around the city, I would definitely go i3. You've got to love the tech in there!

0-30/40 will be faster in the i3 anyway.
Appreciate 0