BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

US i8 Deliveries

Here's the latest that I have received from BMW NA regarding US deliveries.

The official US launch date is still being planned. I found this sort of odd since I thought Pebble Beach was the official launch.

Orders will continue to show a hold for release. As with the Z8 and several other high demand cars, the i8 will not be released until essentially every i8 dealer's first car is built and ready to ship. The cars are being held in Germany with shipments being planned so that all dealers receive their first i8 simultaneously.

So that's the deal. Let's hope we receive this first batch in Sept!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
Here's the latest that I have received from BMW NA regarding US deliveries.

The official US launch date is still being planned. I found this sort of odd since I thought Pebble Beach was the official launch.

Orders will continue to show a hold for release. As with the Z8 and several other high demand cars, the i8 will not be released until essentially every i8 dealer's first car is built and ready to ship. The cars are being held in Germany with shipments being planned so that all dealers receive their first i8 simultaneously.

So that's the deal. Let's hope we receive this first batch in Sept!
Ugh. What a crock of shit if true. Let me have the damn thing before it snows. Seriously. I don't want to drive it straight into my garage for the winter. It's built, it's sitting in Getmany, sell it to me. My dealer is keeping it in the showroom for a week already. "Launch days" are so stupid. I guess that hopefully it will be before November.

That means over the course of the past year I've been told (by dealers and BMW) that it was coming:

In Feb/Mar
In April/May
Summer (June/July)
Fall (Aug/Sept)
And now maybe October.

Also, why not hold them at the port in the US (which is what they usually do with timed launches). Something doesn't smell right. Makes no sense. DENIAL!

And if they are waiting until every dealer with an allocation have one built they are going to be holding close to 200+ cars (which is probably 2-3 months of production at current capacity). I call shenanigans. These delays, changes, etc are past to point of being humorously inconvenient. Now it's just ludicrously unbelievable.

Car companies are funny. When you have what you know is a great car, you can take your sweet time and jerk around customers as much as you want. But if you have a real stinker on your hands you try and get it on the lot ASAP.

Last edited by Carac; 08-22-2014 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Well that sucks. Several of us were expecting the cars to go on boats this weekend headed for the US. I wonder what the rationale is for doing this. Don't they know that there are people like us going crazy with anticipation?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

I had heard that, too . . .

. . . and hope that they will start to ship all of the FIRSTS over in the next week or so, so we can take delivery of these cars at the very latest by end of september.

In its usual fashion, BMW has poorly planned this car's US release - it's really not acceptable how this (communication of what happens and when) has been handled from the very start.

In addition, BMW should be outright ashamed that their systems are not in synch - My BMW online, the automated voice system 1-800 number at BMW NA, and the operators at BMW NA, and the dealers - all of them have conflicting info - and NO one (not even corporate BMW employees) can decipher what it all means.

In my opinion, it would be better to have NO info vs. the garbled mess they are handing to us - supposedly some of their 'top' US customers.

Sorry to sound so disappointed, but any company as big and profitable (!!) as BMW should have people dedicated to handling comms on things like this. I guess it's all just wishful thinking, as I have to remind myself that BMW is also the company that is probably the very worst in terms of what their mobile apps can do, as well.

I think I should quickly re-dial my expectations and realize all they can do is build cool cars, and the rest of the corporate operation must not be important, as they don't pay attention to the other (important) details

Last edited by jwestfield; 08-22-2014 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I mean SERIOUSLY?!? They are sold out...FOR YEARS. What would holding them accomplish besides pissing off customers?

I hope this is just a dealer making up an excuse for the "awaiting release to carrier" situation.

I need a source cited.

Last edited by Carac; 08-22-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

The pessimist in me (not often prominent, but there nonetheless) thinks that it is so that dealers can profit without backlash on the first car MSRP markup.

While the few people who've ordered and are first or second in line at their respective dealers on this forum likely are paying MSRP, the reality is that this is a tiny fraction of the i8 buyers at large.

From what I've been reading, the majority of dealers, especially in large metropolitan areas, are not taking lists and will sell their first one or two i8s for $50k - $100k over MSRP.

It would be ludicrous if the customer can look at a $100k markup for one dealer's first car, when another dealer on the other side of town is selling their second or third i8 for much less.

With all cars coming in simultaneously, there will be no choice but to take the car at above MSRP for those who want to be "first" and are not like the guys on this forum who put down deposits 1-2 or more years ago to be first in line and not overpay above sticker.

Just a thought, I could be wrong and BMW is just planning a really awesome nationwide i8 party. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The pessimist in me (not often prominent, but there nonetheless) thinks that it is so that dealers can profit without backlash on the first car MSRP markup.

While the few people who've ordered and are first or second in line at their respective dealers on this forum likely are paying MSRP, the reality is that this is a tiny fraction of the i8 buyers at large.

From what I've been reading, the majority of dealers, especially in large metropolitan areas, are not taking lists and will sell their first one or two i8s for $50k - $100k over MSRP.

It would be ludicrous if the customer can look at a $100k markup for one dealer's first car, when another dealer on the other side of town is selling their second or third i8 for much less.

With all cars coming in simultaneously, there will be no choice but to take the car at above MSRP for those who want to be "first" and are not like the guys on this forum who put down deposits 1-2 or more years ago to be first in line and not overpay above sticker.

Just a thought, I could be wrong and BMW is just planning a really awesome nationwide i8 party. Who knows.
And I've heard BMW is cutting allocations from dealers if they find them selling over sticker. So why would they help them gouge customers? They don't get any of that money over sticker, the dealer does.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
And I've heard BMW is taking allocations from dealers if they find them selling over sticker. So why would they help them gouge customers? They don't get any of that money over sticker.
True this money is pure profit for dealers only... but it would seem that BMW NA would be in cahoots with the dealers on this one. The dealers are essentially BMW NA's customers, not Joe Schmoe i8 buyer.

I haven't heard anything about the taking of allocations. That is interesting because so many dealers likely don't give a crap insofar as they are still very obviously doing this.

$100k over is enough profit for, what, 10 cars? 8? I don't know the numbers but seems like the penalty might be worth it to lose an MSRP car or two and gain one that is pure profit that spans multiple sales of the same car at regular price.

Of course, if true, then yeah, my highly unscientific theory is instantly nullified.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

David, you might well be right. And if you are, look on the bright side.

Dealers doing this would have the effect of making the i8's residuals fantastic i.e. low/no depreciation

I should add that I have not seen this happening in the UK. Mind you, BMW dealers seem to be incredibly arrogant and don't really care too much about their customers here... The first I contacted did not even return my call, despite me calling a second time and complaining about it. Still no call back. Well, that dealer lost the sale Not that they seem to care.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I just feel like a test case for how much someone will put up with before they cancel an order on a car they REALLY want...which isn't how you're supposed to make customers feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
ddk632
United_States
Rep

@JasH That is definitely a good thing for all.

It just can't escape anyone that the launch of the i8, since inception, has been nothing short of a clusterfuck, and the early adopters are starting to lose their patience.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
David, you might well be right. And if you are, look on the bright side.

Dealers doing this would have the effect of making the i8's residuals fantastic i.e. low/no depreciation

I should add that I have not seen this happening in the UK. Mind you, BMW dealers seem to be incredibly arrogant and don't really care too much about their customers here...
SEEMS LIKE A MONTY PYTHON MOVIE

" ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE
JUST REMEMBER THAT THE LAST LAUGH IS ON YOU ! "
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
It just can't escape anyone that the launch of the i8, since inception, has been nothing short of a clusterfuck, and the early adopters are starting to lose their patience.
Grade-A shitshow.

Announce in Sept '13 that it will be available in early spring. Early spring passes without a word. We get info from whispers at trade shows where they are cagey about options and release date. It's coming in April/May. Those pass. No word. July 2nd. BAM! All options, pricing, allocations, released at once, production to begin in a week or so. Whoops, not enough of the only color of leather we let you order for everyone. Oh, we're letting our tracking system go 2+ weeks without an update. Now we're going to hold all the cars for no reason but to piss you off. Next the ship with all the i8s will run aground somewhere.

They need to get a clear message out. Stop jerking people around. Communication is poor to nonexistent. I've talked to the product manager of AMG and he's already finished the order guide and pricing for the AMG GT...a car they haven't UNVEILED yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Grade-A shitshow.

Announce in Sept '13 that it will be available in early spring. Early spring passes without a word. We get info from whispers at trade shows where they are cagey about options and release date. It's coming in April/May. Those pass. No word. July 2nd. BAM! All options, pricing, allocations, released at once, production to begin in a week or so. Whoops, not enough of the only color of leather we let you order for everyone. Oh, we're letting our tracking system go 2+ weeks without an update. Now we're going to hold all the cars for no reason but to piss you off. Next the ship with all the i8s will run aground somewhere.

They need to get a clear message out. Stop jerking people around. Communication is poor to nonexistent. I've talked to the product manager of AMG and he's already finished the order guide and pricing for the AMG GT...a car they haven't UNVEILED yet.
Hate to be the one to mention it (but you know I would be) ... You forgot about the Display Key! Just adds to the farce.

Anyway, hopefully it isn't this guy driving the ship...

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

It's all very sad - but, unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done, since we want the car. BMW does not care about how we feel about them as a company - their numbers (incredible growth, high margins, etc.) speak for themselves. Even if they were a smart company and had people monitor these blogs (which, by the way, other companies do!), they would not take the feedback and do anything with it. It is definitely the arrogance that has become part of the BMW culture since the company turned itself around back in the 90's. Right??
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
It's all very sad - but, unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done, since we want the car. BMW does not care about how we feel about them as a company - their numbers (incredible growth, high margins, etc.) speak for themselves. Even if they were a smart company and had people monitor these blogs (which, by the way, other companies do!), they would not take the feedback and do anything with it. It is definitely the arrogance that has become part of the BMW culture since the company turned itself around back in the 90's. Right??
That might be why the i8 is the first BMW I've been truly interested in, in the past decade (I bought and kept a E46 M3 for 100k miles and 10 years, I still have a E39 M5, and an E30 M3). Their behavior as a company is at severe odds with their enthusiast following.

Last edited by Carac; 08-22-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

I agree that the lack of information is disappointing. And the wait is agonizing.

But, I finally drove the i8 and it is absolutely incredible! So I remain patient!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
I agree that the lack of information is disappointing. And the wait is agonizing.

But, I finally drove the i8 and it is absolutely incredible! So I remain patient!
mu2002cs, you're probably cool but I need you to stop talking.

You've ruined my weekend with this news then salt in the wound about getting to drive one. Shhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
While were talking about cynical theories. They intentionally withheld the display key, active cruise control, blind spot detection, etc so they could justify the major price hike they'll implement next year. A play from the Apple playbook.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #20
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
While were talking about cynical theories. They intentionally withheld the display key, active cruise control, blind spot detection, etc so they could justify the major price hike they'll implement next year. A play from the Apple playbook.
Don't forget the auto-parking (on the i3).

And of course my least favourite missing feature: big GEAR number display in centre of RPM dial in sports mode, and RPM/GEAR in HUD.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
SEEMS LIKE A MONTY PYTHON MOVIE

" ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE
JUST REMEMBER THAT THE LAST LAUGH IS ON YOU ! "

Your i8s are "sailing across the ACCOUNTAN-SEA"
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #22
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Your i8s are "sailing across the ACCOUNTAN-SEA"
I WOULD ADD CHOOSE

' LOOSE LIPS SINK EGOS'

OR

'ANY STATEMENT MADE AS A FACT IS,IN FACT,TRUE AND IS THEREFORE TO BE ACCEPTED AS THE TRUTH'

LET ME CHECK MONDAY WITH MY SOURCE BEFORE WE DROWN OUR SORROWS THIS WEEKEND.
Appreciate 0