E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Greater Toronto Area Dealerships

06-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Arrow Greater Toronto Area dealerships

Ok, I know some Canadian members must have gone to a Greater Toronto Area dealership to purchase their E90. If so, which one did u go to and were u able to negotiate?

I know in the GTA, the BMW dealerships are

a) Town + Country BMW (Markham)
b) BMW Autohaus (Thornhill)
c) Parkview BMW (North York)
d) BMW Toronto (Toronto)
e) Maranello BMW (Woodbridge)
f) Open Road BMW (Newmarket)
g) BMW Experience Centre (Whitby)
h) BMW of Mississauga (Mississauga)

If you went to one of these dealerships, please state which one and if were able to negotiate. Thank you!

Last edited by icedragon; 06-03-2005 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
bmwcanada
Rep
Drives: 2x E46 FullyLoaded

Hey icedragon!

I've been buying these cars for the last 35 years and I've dealt with most of the dealerships you've mentioned (with the exception of Mississauga and Open Road) and I've generally had a better experience with 2 over the rest - Maranello and Experience Center. I've probably dealt with a good share of the top sales people too . I'm in the process of getting the e90 from my preferred salesperson. He should be talking to me tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes, but I can honestly say that he can give you the best price over any salesperson in the GTA.

If anybody else is interested in getting the e90 in the GTA, let me know (PM me or email me, etc) - the salesman who sells me my cars, has sold the most in Canada (trust me he gives you the bottom line right away! I love not having to go through days of bullshit to get the rockbottom best price)

Ciao

Last edited by bmwcanada; 06-14-2005 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
bmwcanada
Rep
Drives: 2x E46 FullyLoaded

I spoke to my salesperson . . looks like I'm getting the new e90! Like I mentioned earlier, he gave me a better price than I could imagine.

PM/email me if you want his contact info.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Too bad i didn't know of this forum before i ordered my E90 but heres my experience from 3 dealers in the GTA prior to odering my car.

I just ordered a 2006 330i with sport package, SG metallic paint, and comfort access 3 weeks ago from Parkview BMW. I got $1100 off the suggested retail which works out to close to 2% of the purchase price. My salesman is throwing in winter car mats. I am also purchasing aftermarket replica BMW rims with snow tires which he offered to put on the car free of charge when I take delivery.

Before hand I went to 3 dealers in the GTA (Parkview, Town&Country, BMW Experience Centre in Whitby). Just inquiring about what kind of discount I could get all 3 pretty much said they would give $500 off the purchase price. However my salesman at Parkview said he'd seen people get as much as 2% off (which is what i got), the salesman at Town&Country said that if I asked for $1000 off the purchase price I'd be shown the door, and the saleswoman in Whitby wouldn't say anything more than $500 without me getting into more serious negotiations about buying from them.

That said I enjoyed my purchasing experience at Parkview which is why I went with them. My salesman was knew the product well after being with BMW for 8 years and was honest with his opinions and meeting my needs. Plus right off the bat I was told I would be very likely to get approximately 2% off the purchase price.

Town & Country...it was a nice added touch to have a person employed who's sole job is to greet you at the door and put you with a salesperson if you so desire. Now the salesman they put me with was knowledgeable and gave me some good advice. He said to beware of the extra costs (freight, PDI, gas tax, admin fees, etc.) and to compare them between dealers cause they aren't always the same. And he was right. But really between the 3 dealers I went to there was only about a $100 difference in that regard. The reason I was swayed away from this dealer was that they pretty much told me I wouldn't get close to $1000 off (but i knew i could at Parkview).

BMW Experience Centre in Whitby...I found out that the owners of Parkview recently purchased this dealership and will be taking over the operations on January 1, 2006. I don't fully understand how this works with the dealer currently being a corporate store. Anyhow the day I was there the saleswoman I dealt with wasn't very enthused (though she reluctant did) to take me outside in the rain to show me the difference between a sport seat (only had one on a mdel outside) and a regular seat (had one in the showroom).
      12-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
paradiso
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

So Happy!!

Today, just ordered my SG 330i at parkview bmw, the experience was great!, got the feb production and should be arriving in mid march!! so happy!!
thanks to all the people that pm'd me back when i had so many questions all of you guys helped me out alot!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiso
So Happy!!

Today, just ordered my SG 330i at parkview bmw, the experience was great!, got the feb production and should be arriving in mid march!! so happy!!
thanks to all the people that pm'd me back when i had so many questions all of you guys helped me out alot!

can you tell us how much you paid, and which options you got? thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiso
So Happy!!

Congrats! I guess there are a few of us who have bought from Parkview...Icedragon, you, myself, and the*saint* I think. They must be doing something right.
      12-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Rally guy
Happiest Sideways
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi, had 2006 330xi SGM

I've been having a generally unpleasant time at Downtown BMW. I managed to hook up with a sales guy totally new to BMW (8 years of selling MB's) and who knows absolutely nothing about the product. In our very first discussion, I mentioned that I have a motorsports background and was drawn to the brand because of thier competitive background and "drivers" orientation. So, I've had some detailed technical questions and REALLY DO care about the answers. Turning off DSC, etc., matters to me. I prefer to be able to hang the tail out when so inclined. : )

I came out of my first visit so disappointed with the experience, and disillusioned with the whole brand that I reconsidered buying a BMW at all!

Only technical sophistication, styling, cache and driving performance are selling this car to me. The dealer experience is actually slowing the process and making me think twice.

My latest experience there, yesterday, was no better. I'm late in the sales cycle and was dropping off some paperwork for the (very pleasant and helpful) finance team there, and while waiting, and browsing the floor (actually WANTING to pose a q or two to any sales guy) I was blantantly ignored by two other sales guys (who had no way of knowing if I was a new prospect or not).

Yes, I was dressed casually - it's a casual, quiet week at the office and since I own the company - I can dress as I please. Apparently - easily qualifying to buy a $60k+ car ain't enough to warrent service from the sales types at BMW Toronto.

So, in general - I can't recommmend DT BMW. In a perfect world my man there should have said, five minutes into our dicussion, "It's clear you're a true enthusiast, and I won't be able to serve you to the level you require or will enjoy - I'm gonna hook you up with "insert real car guy BMW sales rep's name here" and he'll take care of you.

Then sales guy #1 should have gotten a spiff for the hand off.

I'm heading up to Parkview - based on recommmendations found here and see if they are any better. Unless someone knows an actual "driver" who sells these cars and can send me there.

As I alluded before - I'm approved by BMW financial and am close to ordering a 330xi next week - once I decide if I want to do the ED thing and I can find a dealer worthy of my business.

RK

Last edited by Rally guy; 02-16-2006 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
Timbo
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You thought about reconsidering the purchase of a BMW because there was a "sales guy totally new to BMW"?

I think the trick to a successful dealership experience for you is to find someone as arrogant as you. You probably did the sales guy and the dealership a favour by walking away.

What a load of crap!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
Rally guy
Happiest Sideways
Canada
Rep

Hmmmm, not the welcome I was anticpating from the BMW crowd (or at least one guy's reaction) - but I can roll with this.

Re-reading my post - perhaps it comes arcoss as arrogant - but it certianly wasn't my intention. I meant only to give relevent details to explain various players' actions - including mine. Seems I failed in doing that for you Timbo, sorry.

I'm not quite clear though what your visceral reaction is to. My arrogance because I expressed disappointment at not being taken care of as valued client? I think EVERY person who walks into a retail business deserves outstanding client care. You NEVER know who can buy and who can't.

My mention of having a racing background? I'll assume there are lots of serious drivers here - certianly more skilled than I - and I mentoined it merely as background. I didn't (and won't) post details of my race resume - it's not germane to the thread.

My mention of being able to afford the car? I felt it relevent to make it clear that I'm not a tire kicker.

My knee-jerk reaction of rethinking my enthusiam for the brand? Yeah - I'll take that hit. It was perhaps totally naive of me to think that any dealship "gets it" as a bunch of car guys. I know - it's a busines and they are there to make a profit. Margin x turns = profit. So it's "move as many cars as possible" with the leanest overhead. If that means hiring sales guys as opposed to car guys - then I can't fault them for that. But if, (as thier mission statement seems to indicate, IIRC) the goal is to build a long-term relationship with thier clients, they're missing the boat. Car guys get asked all the time by friends, "what should I buy? - where should I buy it?". If BMW wows me with outstanding service and amazing product - I'll be talking them up to no end.

I'd be interested to know if others have either, a) had fun,positive, enthusiat-type relationships with thier dealers, or b) feel that my expectations are out of whack?

RK

Last edited by Rally guy; 01-05-2006 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
Timbo
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No need to apologize.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Well, RK, don't take it too seriously. That's the problem with typing, you can't always accurately convey emotions. I'm sure Timbo meant no harm.

Anyway, I'm Vince and my family bought a 325xi from Tommy @ Parkview BMW. I thought Tommy was a flexible sales rep and the dealership was ok. [ On a side note, Parkview BMW has the best-looking clear license plate protector. It has two roundels for symmetry and the words "Parkview BMW" sounds nice. ] We got over $1000 off and Tommy arranged for the dealership to buy back the stock run-flat tires. I bought better tires and the dealership installed them. He also gave us the usual floor mats and keychains.

Unfortunately, they washed my car and when I picked up the car, I noticed two big paint chips on the hood. After a bit of hassling, the manager agreed to have the hood taken to body shop where the chips were re-painted and the whole hood re-cleared. The hood looks fine now and as compensation, the dealership installed a 3M clear bra for free.

I have no problem recommeding Parkview BMW, just make sure they do not wash your car. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #13
gratemech69er
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I think this is a great thread, and a useful one for purchasers trying to get a fair deal on their purchase in the Toronto area. It appears from previous posts the dealerships in Canada are working very hard to maintain pricing close to MSRP (understandably), and this forum helps the free market system work. The sales reps at all dealerships are trained on how to close a deal at the highest price they can get, and their commission is based on the price.

I ended up purchasing my 325xi from BMW of Mississauga after getting locked in with a rep at Budd's in Oakville that was more interested in maintaining the standard $500 discount from MSRP than developing the relationship necessary to close a deal. The rep was arrogant, though I understand he no longer works for Budd's. I walked into BMW of Mississauga very casually dressed (on a day off) and ended up dealing with the acting sales manager - I only found this out when we closed the deal. He approached me because he was concerned I wasn't being properly looked after, and in the end offered me a deal involving a trade that was $2500 better than what the rep at Budd's would give me. They also gave me winter and summer mats when I asked for them after the deal was done, and a discount on the alarm system.

I will probably use Budd's for service because they are closer, and I suspect if I was initially linked up with another rep at Budd's my experience would have been different. Bottom line - if you are not happy with the sales rep you are dealing with, then either talk to the sales manager or go to another dealership. I applaud that attitude - it is not arrogance. And shop around for the best price.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
gdcwatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege

With leasing so common the last several years, you have to wonder what some salespeople are thinking: for a hundred dollars a month, give or take a bit, more [less?] than a V6 Honda Accord you can lease a 325i - that's $1500 a year more. The point is that it's not so difficult to afford the car, but sometimes particular salespeople make you wonder if you really want to buy a car from them. Maybe they, guys that sell cars for a living, think that you're not worthy of the brand. I remember when BMW introduced the Mini with the marketing line that they would "not sell the car to anyone over 30," causually dressed or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #15
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally guy
I've been having a generally unpleasant time at Downtown BMW. I managed to hook up with a sales guy totally new to BMW (8 years of selling MB's) and who knows absolutely nothing about the product. In our very first discussion, I mentioned that I have a motorsports background and was drawn to the brand because of thier competitive background and "drivers" orientation. So, I've had some detailed technical questions and REALLY DO care about the answers. Turning off DSC, etc., matters to me. I prefer to be able to hang the tail out when so inclined. : )

I came out of my first visit so disappointed with the experience, and disillusioned with the whole brand that I reconsidered buying a BMW at all!

Only technical sophistication, styling, cache and driving performance are selling this car to me. The dealer experience is actually slowing the process and making me think twice.

My latest experience there, yesterday, was no better. I'm late in the sales cycle and was dropping off some paperwork for the (very pleasant and helpful) finance team there, and while waiting, and browsing the floor (actually WANTING to pose a q or two to any sales guy) I was blantantly ignored by two other sales guys (who had no way of knowing if I was a new prospect or not).

Yes, I was dressed casually - it's a casual, quiet week at the office and since I own the company - I can dress as I please. Apparently - wearing a $1000 wrist watch (and easily qualifying to buy a $60k+ car) ain't enough to warrent service from the sales types at BMW Toronto.

So, in general - I can't recommmend DT BMW. In a perfect world my man there should have said, five minutes into our dicussion, "It's clear you're a true enthusiast, and I won't be able to serve you to the level you require or will enjoy - I'm gonna hook you up with "insert real car guy BMW sales rep's name here" and he'll take care of you.

Then sales guy #1 should have gotten a spiff for the hand off.

I'm heading up to Parkview - based on recommmendations found here and see if they are any better. Unless someone knows an actual "driver" who sells these cars and can send me there.

As I alluded before - I'm approved by BMW financial and am close to ordering a 330xi next week - once I decide if I want to do the ED thing and I can find a dealer worthy of my business.

RK
It's to be expected. Most SLC's (sales and leasing consultants) do not know a thing about the cars they sell. You'll find out more researching on your own. All the SLC should be there for is to take the order and make sure everything goes smoothly.

As for them ignoring you, that wasn't cool, but does happen at every BMW dealer in the GTA now and then.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
Rally guy
Happiest Sideways
Canada
Rep

Perhaps it is to be expected and maybe the bar was set too high by my interactions with a Porsche sales guy in Los Gatos, CA who was an ex-factory race driver. He would entertain us for hours with stories about driving Porsches the way they we designed to be driven. His account of Walter Rohrl introing the Cayenne is unforgettable.

Perhaps I was hoping for the same thing up here. It seems so disingenuous for a "drivers" marque to staff it's sales floor with pedestrian flunkies who are just after a quick buck. Still bums me out.

Gives me strong incentive to pay as little as possible over invoice - since I'm getting nothing out of the dealer experience.

RK
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #17
gratemech69er
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

When I bought my E46 from Auto West in Vancouver several years ago the sales rep was fantastic. (He has since moved to another BMW dealership). He was very knowledgeable about BMW including manufacturing methods, minor design changes year to year, etc. and really put an effort into keeping me happy while my car was on order. I got several free gifts from him after delivery. I am sure guys like him are out there at the dealerships. The trick is to find them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #18
bmwman01
Rep
n/a
Drives:

GOOD/FAIR DEAL

thanks for the info, I am looking at a 325i, can you give me the name of your fellow to talk to be treated fairly?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
Rally guy
Happiest Sideways
Canada
Rep

Okay - the train wreck at BMW Toronto continues. Based on postings here - I rethought my brash criticism and continued dealing with my rep. Several emails have been traded between us recently - he's been trying to get me back on-side. (Almost as if he'd read my posts here).

We set up a "place the order" meeting for today, in the hopes of catching a "Jan production" car and changing it to my spec - rather than delaying delievery a few weeks with a totally fresh "shell".

Well - I arrive at 5:30 and he's doubled up with another client. To make a long story short - I leave at 6:15 having wasted 45 minutes waiting.

(Yes, he certainly acknoledgd me and apologized for the delay)

Now I have to somehow squeeze another meeting into tomorrow or delay my delivery.

Man - everytime I walk out of that place - I'm pissed!

Grrrr. Sorry about the vent - this is just frustrating. I was REALLY excited about sorting out my order today and went in with a "clean slate" attitude tonight - hoping things would turn around. No dice - this rep is just blowing it.

RK

PS. I also overheard another young buck admit that this was his 4th day selling BMW's. For a flagship dealer, they sure are stacking the sales floor with greenery. My advice - steer (actively, pun intended) clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
jigga
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 50i

Rally Guy,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I definitely sympathize with regards to the whole "being ignored" bit. I walked into 2 different dealerships and the first one I wasn't even approached by a salesman for about 12 minutes and even then, he only stopped because he heard me asking my friend a question. The second dealership, BMW of Mississauga, I walked in, waited around for about 15 minutes, and walked right out. I was so upset that nobody would even come and greet me when I was ready and willing to plunk down over 50g's for a car.

I even called a third dealership and I said to the salesman "I'm looking for a 2006 330i" he says "can you give me a minute please?" and puts me on hold -- for over 25 minutes. Out of spite, I held on to the phone just to have him apologize profusely for his stupidity.

In the end, I said to myself, fine... If I'm not going to get treated like a king when I walk in there, I'm not going to pay for the car like a king would. I'm going to be one of those aggressive customers who gets a nice deal.
I ended up going back to the first dealership, Maranello, dealt with the salesman (who admittedly, is new to selling BMW's as he has been selling Audi for several years, but he is nonetheless a driving enthusiast.) I went in 2 Friday's ago and did the deal in an hour or so. Whatever questions I had, he answered and if he didn't have an answer, he went and found out for me.
I'm in sales and I can understand that sometimes, it's possible you don't know the answer to your customer's questions. There is nothing wrong with saying "let me find that out for you."

In any case, overall I felt fairly treated by my sales guy and if you want his name and info then I can definitely hook you up with him. I can also talk to him and ask him to take care of you as best he can.

ps: I have no relations with this person. He isn't family or my friend. I simply do empathize with you and so if I can help you find a pleasant buying experience, why not!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - If only BMW salesmen were trained like Lexus salesmen. Everytime I go in to buy a Lexus (and I've bought 3 of them) I feel like royalty. They bend over backwards for you. BMW could learn a thing or 2 from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #21
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratemech69er
Bottom line - if you are not happy with the sales rep you are dealing with, then either talk to the sales manager or go to another dealership. I applaud that attitude - it is not arrogance. And shop around for the best price.
nicely put there's no need to get all riled up and get a pissy fit, what's the point? just find another dealership that will treat you right.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #22
harbour456
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Audi S4 (prev E90 330i)

Consider a drive down to Sarnia

Just ordered a 2006 330i with sport package from Sarnia Fine Cars (BMW and Jaguar). I had been told by a friend that they were one of the dealers in Ontario most likely to negotiate. I managed to get $2000 off the MSRP for my vehicle. They also gave me reasonable value for my trade (2002 WRX). I believe that it's worth the drive to Sarnia. Salesperson was Jeff Peters. It's certainly worth a call.

Addendum: Picked up my car last week. Dealership was small but unlike many BMW dealerships it was unpretentious! Great service from Jeff Peters the sales rep. If you don't mind a zip down to Sarnia I would suggest you give them a call. The 330i is everything I hoped it would be.

Cheers