E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > What mac to buy

12-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

What mac to buy

Hi i am considering buying a new apple mac in the sales ?? .I have used a pc with xp for the last 3years.A sony vaio pcg-grt .it is always crashing no long term issues but we only use it for photos /internet/email.It doesnt get used for anything else.

So what i was hoping for was some advise id like a large screen and a laptop style apple machine my thoughts are towards a notebook pro 17" what price should i aim for or
are there any good places to buy from thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D SG

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
If you have lots to spend, go for the pro. But I would consider the normal Macbook, there isn't much in performance difference these days but they are quite a bit cheaper. I have a new MB and its certainly a nice laptop.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I have the MacBook Pro 15" which has a proper DVI output for connecting a 2nd monitor. I have a 22" widescreen external monitor attached as well as a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. As Scotw says, there is not a huge difference technically between the Macbook and Macbook Pro, the biggest difference being display size. If you are after more memory than what comes as standard, I would recommend just buying from here: http://www.crucial.com/uk/ rather than buying from Apple. You are likely to save over £100 by doing this. Apple prices are all the same so either buy from an Apple store or online. You will save further £ if you qualify for an education discount.
      02-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Apple Products

Hi time to decide on my next computer apple/pc ??

I have sorted of fallen for apple products and every time i look there is a excuse to buy something new .Now my current pc is a sony vaio grt 916 it cost approx £1500 3or 4 yrs ago and to be honest its been fantastic no real problems that said i only use it for internet explorer no gaming or work related issues

I want a decent size screen 17" also im thinking of going apple this time and loading a copy of windows xp on it .

my problem is i cant decide but i have two older boys at home aged 20 and 21 who both went apple why wtf ? .

stick with what you know now these boys have three pc they use at home on our home network wireless bt hub 801g or something

This new machine will be a extra so we have five at home .I have a wife and younger son 13 who would proberbly use this new computer the youngest uses msn messanger quite a lot and also you tube and has a large selection of photos on the sony vaio

My question is will msn messanger run on a apple or will i need to swap to xp for it to work as i belive its a microsoft prog .

Also what is the best screen gloss/matt/hd .there is to much choice

I am thinking macbook pro17" or do i go and buy another sony vaio ar 61s £1200 against the apple £1700
Appreciate 0