ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Jim300186
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Turbo timer

Any one have this installed? Is it needed nowadays? Or is that more old school?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

This vehicle will not benefit from a turbo timer. This has been discussed a few times. I would suggest searching for the threads.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

It has factory turbo timer. It will keep fans and stuff running for few minutes after hard driving even if you turn off the engine and lock the door.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Car cools itself even when turned off. No need for a timer
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

I was at the track last week. After a 20 minute session & cool down lap.. When I shut off the car, the fans still ran for a good 10 minutes. Yup, no timer needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

There is a water pump that runs after you turn the car off that circulates water to cool the turbo. This runs even if the fans are not operational. You can hear a faint noise from the engine bay everytime you stop the car if you listen carefully. The auxillary fans only come on if the water temp gets too hot
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Jim300186
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Oh are they water cooled turbos?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Ging
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Oil and coolant going into these turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim300186 View Post
Oh are they water cooled turbos?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
There is a water pump that runs after you turn the car off that circulates water to cool the turbo. This runs even if the fans are not operational. You can hear a faint noise from the engine bay everytime you stop the car if you listen carefully. The auxillary fans only come on if the water temp gets too hot
how exactly does water flowing through the turbos after the car is turned off keep the oil from coking?

Last edited by Casey@RWE; 09-16-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #10
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey@RWE View Post
how exactly does water flowing through the turbos after the car is turned off keep the oil from coking?
It doesn't.

I suspect the purpose of this is more for safety reasons rather than anything else ie it is to try and reduce radiant heat from the turbo and prevent the car catching fire, the hood or rocker cover getting heat damaged etc rather than trying to cool the oil etc

BMW had issues on the R56 mini model (turbo) where the water pump that cools the turbo was failing. As a result there were quite a few cars that caught fire and even burnt to the ground. This resulted in a model recall and they replaced the turbo water pumps on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't.

I suspect the purpose of this is more for safety reasons rather than anything else ie it is to try and reduce radiant heat from the turbo and prevent the car catching fire, the hood or rocker cover getting heat damaged etc rather than trying to cool the oil etc

BMW had issues on the R56 mini model (turbo) where the water pump that cools the turbo was failing. As a result there were quite a few cars that caught fire and even burnt to the ground. This resulted in a model recall and they replaced the turbo water pumps on these cars.
I heard there were a bunch of minis with water pump problems. That aside though, the purpose of a timer in a turbo car was to keep the engine running in order to keep oil pressure and the turbos fed with fresh oil until they cooled to a temperature that wouldnt leave baked oil in the turbo and eventually cause premature failure. Dont get me wrong, I'm not an advocate saying put a timer in this car. However I do believe that if you're at the track or running a car hard, especially one that is equipped with a turbo(or 2 in this case), its a good practice to leave it running for a few minutes after driving before turning it off. My comment was brought about by what seems like a lack of understanding on the entire subject and the general purpose of a turbo timer. If you get turbos hot, then cut the power, it leads to coking. If you get the turbos hot, then cut the oil feed(motor off) but leave an auxiliary water pump feeding the turbos, you remove a possibly dangerous situation like you mentioned with the mini's but you dont do anything to eliminate coking.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey@RWE View Post
I heard there were a bunch of minis with water pump problems. That aside though, the purpose of a timer in a turbo car was to keep the engine running in order to keep oil pressure and the turbos fed with fresh oil until they cooled to a temperature that wouldnt leave baked oil in the turbo and eventually cause premature failure. Dont get me wrong, I'm not an advocate saying put a timer in this car. However I do believe that if you're at the track or running a car hard, especially one that is equipped with a turbo(or 2 in this case), its a good practice to leave it running for a few minutes after driving before turning it off. My comment was brought about by what seems like a lack of understanding on the entire subject and the general purpose of a turbo timer. If you get turbos hot, then cut the power, it leads to coking. If you get the turbos hot, then cut the oil feed(motor off) but leave an auxiliary water pump feeding the turbos, you remove a possibly dangerous situation like you mentioned with the mini's but you dont do anything to eliminate coking.
I agree completely with what you say. I never said that the water pump was an adequate solution. I think it is good practice to leave the engine running and idling for a few minutes if you have been driving hard eg on the track. If you are just driving to work or the shops, then probably not as necessary.

As for turbo timer? No way I would do it. Imaging how it would mess with the complicated electronics / ecu in this car. IMHO it is not necessary, far better to be patient and simply just let the car run for a few minutes when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep

Quote:
I agree completely with what you say. I never said that the water pump was an adequate solution. I think it is good practice to leave the engine running and idling for a few minutes if you have been driving hard eg on the track. If you are just driving to work or the shops, then probably not as necessary.

As for turbo timer? No way I would do it. Imaging how it would mess with the complicated electronics / ecu in this car. IMHO it is not necessary, far better to be patient and simply just let the car run for a few minutes when necessary.
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0