E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Just installed KW V1... Alignment HELP!!

09-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Just installed KW V1... Alignment HELP!!

I just installed KW V1s on my 2007 335xi (loving it btw). I am having a really hard time finding a place that will do alignment for my car, apparently not many people can do alignment for BMWs in general?? at least that's what just about every place I called told me.

I finally found a place that says they do alignment for european vehicles including BMW. I called and they told me it would be no problem ($89.99... seems reasonable).

My regular indy BMW shop told me I made a huge mistake putting coilovers on and that the car will never be the same (he says that about everything I put on that is not OEM). I find that hard to believe since soooo many people here run KW V1s, and all other parts I have put on have been superior to OEM... chargepipe, DVs, intercooler, intake... etc. That guy told me the only place I should go to do an alignment is at the dealership.

Should I just be taking my car to the dealership for this alignment?? I mean it's just alignment, why are so many places making a big deal about this???
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
LaxIan55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 xdrive

You will be fine with a reputable alignment shop. They are going to use the same wrenches to turn the same bolts to the same specs as the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

I think you need a new Indy shop
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb
I think you need a new Indy shop
agree... im done with that place
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Momukhamo
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

And u gotta wait a few weeks before getting an alignment let your coilovers settle first someone even told me drive it for 500 miles before getting an alignment
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo
And u gotta wait a few weeks before getting an alignment let your coilovers settle first someone even told me drive it for 500 miles before getting an alignment
Thanks, I used the ecs coilover install video to get these on and that was mentioned.

Install wasn't bad btw to those who are thinking about it. You just need the right tools.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #7
B-dog
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

I had some issues too. The first place, Firestone, said that Bimmer specifies weights be put in the seats and in the trunk. The Firestone corporate office didn't provide the weights so they couldn't do the proper alignment.
The second place I went to said the rocker panels would scrap on the rack.

I searched the regional forum on here and got a few recommendations for a guy. He did it for $80 but couldn't get everything into spec due to the lack of adjustment.

Good luck, I hear your frustration...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Just some food for thought; The weights in the trunk and the seats is a good idea if you drive your car weighted like that all the time, however, it's completely unnecessary for most people (especially if you don't drive with that much added weight the majority of the time).

If anything, get the car aligned with you as the driver if you are the only person and things in the car.

The average Joe will not notice the difference, adding weight is typically for racing purposes.

Also the stock alignment specs are conservative and made for the average Joe.

You will hear all kinds of recommendations for alignment depending on your goals but for a typical street application just go with 0 Toe and the most camber they can get out of the front. The rear can be dialed into -1 to -1.25.

If you want more adjustment out of the front I believe most E90 chassis have a pin that can be removed at the strut top and that should allow for a little more negative camber.

The stock alignment specs are designed conservative and I would hope if people are lowering their vehicle they are at least looking for some better handling characteristics and one should stay away from stock alignment specs at that point.

Find a good independent alignment shop that will listen to your goals, these franchise places are restrained by the corporate bologna. If you don't know where to go in your area seek some help in the regional section.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
B-dog
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Hey Jeff, I agree the weights were probably unnecessary for me but they wouldn't do it since it wasn't the "right way".

Performance wasn't my goal, I like the looks of being lowered. I drive like an old person 90% of the time. I wanted stock specs or whatever gets best tire wear which I would assume would be stock.

Thanks for the tips on the front, I'll check out the pin if the tires start wearing uneven again.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-dog View Post
I had some issues too. The first place, Firestone, said that Bimmer specifies weights be put in the seats and in the trunk. The Firestone corporate office didn't provide the weights so they couldn't do the proper alignment.
The second place I went to said the rocker panels would scrap on the rack.

I searched the regional forum on here and got a few recommendations for a guy. He did it for $80 but couldn't get everything into spec due to the lack of adjustment.

Good luck, I hear your frustration...
THANK YOU! I knew there was no way I could be the only one having these issues...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Just some food for thought; The weights in the trunk and the seats is a good idea if you drive your car weighted like that all the time, however, it's completely unnecessary for most people (especially if you don't drive with that much added weight the majority of the time).

If anything, get the car aligned with you as the driver if you are the only person and things in the car.

The average Joe will not notice the difference, adding weight is typically for racing purposes.

Also the stock alignment specs are conservative and made for the average Joe.

You will hear all kinds of recommendations for alignment depending on your goals but for a typical street application just go with 0 Toe and the most camber they can get out of the front. The rear can be dialed into -1 to -1.25.

If you want more adjustment out of the front I believe most E90 chassis have a pin that can be removed at the strut top and that should allow for a little more negative camber.

The stock alignment specs are designed conservative and I would hope if people are lowering their vehicle they are at least looking for some better handling characteristics and one should stay away from stock alignment specs at that point.

Find a good independent alignment shop that will listen to your goals, these franchise places are restrained by the corporate bologna. If you don't know where to go in your area seek some help in the regional section.
Great post! Thank you Jeff, I do a ton of work myself just because I enjoy doing it (sometimes installing myself doesn't save me much money, half the time I need to buy tools most people have that I don't) and I use this forum to help since I really have no background working on cars. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Some misleading info posted above. The issue here is the car is an xi, and most likely has active steering. This is why the dealer is recommended or an indy that has the proper setup.

Firestone and places like that simply have no idea how to calibrate camber or toe on these cars. They are not doing much at all to help so those who think they are getting a deal are more likely than not just throwing their money away. Especially if you do not have an idea as to what your specs are before/after the alignment.
      09-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92
Some misleading info posted above. The issue here is the car is an xi, and most likely has active steering. This is why the dealer is recommended or an indy that has the proper setup.

Firestone and places like that simply have no idea how to calibrate camber or toe on these cars. They are not doing much at all to help so those who think they are getting a deal are more likely than not just throwing their money away. Especially if you do not have an idea as to what your specs are before/after the alignment.
That's a good info....
Didn't really think things would be different between "i"s and "xi"s

Can anyone else back this up?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #14
rosica
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: s2000

Garage List
2001 S2000  [0.00]
2007 333xi  [0.00]
My Indy shop used the BMW recommended weights and the car drives perfect, dead straight. I was always told weighted alignments in general were to compensate for drag at highway speed....not load.
      09-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
i have taken my xi to a firestone twice for alignments. the first time was too soon after i installed the eibach springs, so when I noticed it settling several months later, I took it in again to have it checked and adjusted. they were able to identify that it was pretty far out of spec that time, and had no problem getting it straightened out. They guy at the shop seemed pretty familiar with aligning BMWs, and said he sees several BMWs and Merc enthusiasts come in and buy the unlimited alignment deal they offer (i was one of them).