BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

09-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
MWS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MW/SO M4

US Mill Works Installed

Thought I share it with you guys since their was a few thread regarding this.

-Pretty easy to install but takes forever to adjust it to your likings and levelling it.

-I think its still a little too heavy even though I got the lightened Package.

-The pins are very difficult to install since you have minimal space to move.

-You can see the refection of the back of the plate on your bumper when the lights on.

-Even though I followed all the instructions, It still wobbles and my front sensor goes off from time to time.

-I screwed the middle right hand side (If you go up one, its too high and it's literally underneath your headlight and if you go down one, well let's just say your front sensors will be useless which it almost is at my current setup.

Overall its not bad for now but I'm definitely not keeping it for long, I wish they would of put more time into designing something specially for this bumper instead of just playing around with the universal kit. Not Worth $$$
Attached Images

Last edited by MWS55; 09-18-2014 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Don't love it, but surely don't hate it. And damn straight it beats holes in your bumper.
      09-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

why? just go no plate. You'll be breaking worse laws than not having a front plate with an M car...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
Don't love it, but surely don't hate it. And damn straight it beats holes in your bumper.
Double sided automotive tape. Holds on the front plates of both my cars, and with no frame or bracket, I can slide up or down to mount it where I want. It also curves the plate to match the bumper so it's much less obtrusive.

Plus it's like $5 and easily reversible. I can't for the life of me understand why people spend so much money on these mounts when you can do the same with tape for the cost of a cup of coffee. Pretty much infinite possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

why not put paint protection film on your bumper then use good ol 3m double sided weatherproof tape?
      09-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Double sided automotive tape. Holds on the front plates of both my cars, and with no frame or bracket, I can slide up or down to mount it where I want. It also curves the plate to match the bumper so it's much less obtrusive.

Plus it's like $5 and easily reversible. I can't for the life of me understand why people spend so much money on these mounts when you can do the same with tape for the cost of a cup of coffee. Pretty much infinite possibilities.
Can you post a pic of your set up, just to have a side by side comparison with the OPs pic?
      09-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller
Quote:

Can you post a pic of your set up, just to have a side by side comparison with the OPs pic?
Do not have an M3 but I will take pics this weekend so you can see the flexibility afforded.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Do not have an M3 but I will take pics this weekend so you can see the flexibility afforded.
That's great thank you. The automotive tape used has no neg effects on the bumper I assume, yes?
      09-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller
Quote:
That's great thank you. The automotive tape used has no neg effects on the bumper I assume, yes?
Correct. It is designed to secure trim pieces to the car and will not harm the paint. It will leave a strong residue that will be a bitch to clean off but it WILL come off.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
MWS55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
why not put paint protection film on your bumper then use good ol 3m double sided weatherproof tape?
I have Xpel clear bra on like half of the car so thats what I'm thinking to do now, where do you get them?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
MWS55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Great idea, Didn't know if it was good for the paint and it would stay on since we get lots of rain here but now that i have clear bra and you guys had no problem with it, why not..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS55 View Post
I have Xpel clear bra on like half of the car so thats what I'm thinking to do now, where do you get them?
the tape. home depot of course! just look for the thick stuff rated for outdoor use (weatherproof) you don't want it sticking to your paint just to be safe. oh and when/if you ever need to remove the plate remember it will pull up the xpel as well...so this is a one shot deal if you don't want to replace the xpel bumper piece.
      09-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Will never put a front plate on. Never received a ticket. Wouldn't care either.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Just installed mine too, and I'm not a big fan of the wobble either. But it works.

You have to have the prongs of the QR plate pointed to the left (the driver side). That way, the license plate slides in left to right. This also makes putting in the pins a lot easier. All in all, I'm satisfied with the product.

Given the stories going around about the paint easily chipping or peeling off, I'm not too excited about putting tape on the car. But to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Aside from the issues with function, I think it looks kinda ugly, unbalanced. I struggled with this, and as much as I'd hate drilling holes in the bumper, think that's what I'll do...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS55 View Post
I got chip on mine even thought their was enough space. pissed me off so i took it off, be careful, it not worth it, i rather get a tix
I was scared this was gonna happen to me too, especially since I was doing this in my garage near dusk. I found that the bolt wouldn't screw into the bumper tightly. I got it tight, but not to the point that I couldn't turn it anymore.

Either way, I'm happy with the result, and I think it looks great.
Appreciate 0