E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > An unfourtunate first...broke my v2 harness while installing...help Vishnu

12-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

An unfourtunate first...broke my v2 harness while installing...help Vishnu

As the title says, I broke the v2 harness while installing it:
Everything was going fine untill Step 4: Hooking up 12v Power.
I extracted the orange cable from the connector but while trying to connect it to the harness female spade connector I pushed too hard and the harness spade connector broke off. I'm actually suprised that no one encountered this problem before since getting the orange cable to go completly in the harness female spade connector seemed like an impossible task.

edit: after checking the vishnu forum it doesn't seem like i'm the only one having this issue, can those who experienced this please chime in:
http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...?t=285&page=11
posts 104,105 and 106

I tried calling vishnu but they are off untill the third of January. What are my options other than going back to the 1.47 setup ? Shiv can you send me another one overnight? any feedback would be welcome.

Last edited by Barat; 12-28-2007 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

If you broke the harness side, I'm sure you can probably get something similar from a car audio store or Radio Shack. You could solder it on and heat shrink it around the wire.

It'd probably cost you a few dollars for a pack at most.
      12-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
If you broke the harness side, I'm sure you can probably get something similar from a car audio store or Radio Shack. You could solder it on and heat shrink it around the wire.

It'd probably cost you a few dollars for a pack at most.
not sure how i would do that as it broke right there:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

strip some of that plastic off and solder the broken piece back on..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

+1
EASY FIX. Pick up a cheap soldering iron for $10 or borrow a friends.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #6
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

All you broke is the 10 cent blue insulated spade connector on the V2 side, correct?

If so:
1. Cut that old heat shrink and spade connector off.
2. Strip back the wire insulation on the V2 side, about 1/8".
3. Get your new spade connector and either (a) crimp on or (b) solder on-preferred.
4. Heat shrink over the new spade connector like the old one was.
5. Done.
      12-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

All you broke is the 10 cent blue insulated spade connector on the V2 side, correct?

If so:
3. Get your new spade connector and either (a) crimp on or (b) solder on-preferred.
5. Done.
thanks for the info. Where can I get a new connector ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:

If so:
5. Done.

Yup, follow those steps exactly.
BTW, my female spade connector broke off during installation as well.
And as you said, I'm sure it's happened to many others, so don't worry about it.
When I read the title, I thought you actually BROKE the v2 harness. I was like, "how do you break that thing unless you hit it with a hammer."
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

easy fix, don't need any soldering tool, home depot or radio shack should have the spade connector and the heat shrink. You just need a handy knife, a handy plyer, and a heat source

What I am trying to say is just your basic around the house tools will get you back on track again (given you purchased the replaced parts at radio shack)!
      12-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Both my female and male connectors broke. IMO, the primary cause for this problem is that the female spade connector being installed on the V2 harness is not the correct size. The width is right, but the thickness is off. My male connector has ruts in it where the female was digging into it.

If your ECU side connector breaks, it's a fairly cheap part at your BMW parts store.

It's not horribly difficult to fix, but it's a PITA and completely avoidable if the right part had been used.

I'm of the opinion that, once you're in this position, calling Vishnu about this problem isn't going to be any help. Fixing the harness yourself, getting a buddy's help, or at worst going to a car audio or local performance shop to get some help with the crimping or soldering is going to be your fastest way out.
Attached Images

12-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #11
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

This appears to be a common theme with V2 installs. I think Orb pointed this out in an earlier thread somewhere...
      12-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Yes, mine broke at the same location. The wire is too short and the bend destroys the connection. This has been a horrible install. Worse than v1 and was marketed as a simple upgrade. Now looking for some wire and a soldering iron.

Booo!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
dolby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 M3

Mine broke today on the V2 install. Had spare connectors laying around here and fixed it in 5 mins. Other than that the install went great. Full power and no CELs.

dolby
- 2009 E90 M3 - Jet Blk on Blk mDCT
- 1987 E30 325is - track car conversion in progress
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #14
Acuracy
SAYPL335
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335 FBO - 16 F80 M3

Just have to take your time. I installed mine no problem. But being aware of others having broke connectors i took my time and make sure as i was pushing they wires on the v2 harness were still straight and not bending, once it bends it will snap i think. Just take your time and dont rush and push to hard.

Travis

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #15
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Ok...I'll chime in. I did the exact same thing!!! I feel the problem isn't the wire being to short, I think it's way too long! You have to really be careful when you place the newly installed power hookup back under the little green box. It's best to pull off the black tape that is holding the orange ecu wire, so you have more room to work with. I don't know why people are/were complaining about the size of the black wire....I would have loved to have had the shorter set up on the original v2's.

Anyways, like many others have said, it was an easy fix....even for me . I just took the broken female piece up to RS, and bought a new one + a crimper. After I got home I had it fixed within 5 minutes...no need to soder.
      12-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #16
Acuracy
SAYPL335
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335 FBO - 16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Ok...I'll chime in. I did the exact same thing!!! I feel the problem isn't the wire being to short, I think it's way too long! You have to really be careful when you place the newly installed power hookup back under the little green box. It's best to pull off the black tape that is holding the orange ecu wire, so you have more room to work with. I don't know why people are/were complaining about the size of the black wire....I would have loved to have had the shorter set up on the original v2's.

Anyways, like many others have said, it was an easy fix....even for me . I just took the broken female piece up to RS, and bought a new one + a crimper. After I got home I had it fixed within 5 minutes...no need to soder.
I think thats is KEY, if you dont pull off the black tape it makes it that much harder to manipulate the orange wires and puts pressure on the v2 harness when your trying to plug it in.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Comments of this problem being the end user fault are kind of pathetic. This is an example of poor execution of a harness design. The connection is neither safe nor approved by any authority when outside of a connector housing and the wiring is obviously to short. Shiv will be personally liable if someone is hurt by his irresponsibility.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Here's the original thread on the broken harness connector, FYI.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94507
      12-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Guys,
Take your time when installing the power wire. As suggested in the instructions, sliding back the black ribbon tape holding the two factory wires together will free up any tension that would otherwise occur. Although we lengthed the wire by a couple of inches a while back, it's still important that this step is done. Since the last batch of harnesses, we've also 'loosened up the" tight grip the female terminal has on the male terminal. This should make it easier to push one into the other. I know of a few instances were the connections broke during this part of the install. If anyone broke any component during the install, pls PM me.

We are closed this week with most of us soon to be scattered all over the country so shipping anything will have to wait until after New Years. The famale terminal that broke during the OP's installation is just an off-the-shelf female terminal that can be found at any hardware store, btw. So as much as I hate to say it, going there would get everything up and running quicker than waiting for us to get back into the office to ship you something.

Regards,
Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 12-28-2007 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
MacDutchski
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
the shelf female terminal that can be found at any hardware store, btw. Going there would get everything up and running quicker than waiting for us to get back into the office to ship you something.

Regards,
Shiv

Shiv
nice. seriously dude, if you can afford a lamborghini (and are going to reference it in your profile) hire an extra support person. you're almost mocking your customers. how pathetic. not cool at all for people that have put up so much money for your product and have put so much faith in you.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #21
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDutchski View Post
nice. seriously dude, if you can afford a lamborghini (and are going to reference it in your profile) hire an extra support person. you're almost mocking your customers. how pathetic. not cool at all for people that have put up so much money for your product and have put so much faith in you.
Where in the hell did this come from?

Like I said before, I broke mine, then ran up to RS and had it fixed in 5 minutes.

The reason they changed the lenght of the black wire was because of the feedback from forum members.
      12-28-2007, 11:44 PM   #22
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Guys,
Take your time when installing the power wire. As suggested in the instructions, sliding back the black ribbon tape holding the two factory wires together will free up any tension that would otherwise occur. Although we lengthed the wire by a couple of inches a while back, it's still important that this step is done. Since the last batch of harnesses, we've also 'loosened up the" tight grip the female terminal has on the male terminal. This should make it easier to push one into the other. I know of a few instances were the connections broke during this part of the install. If anyone broke any component during the install, pls PM me.

We are closed this week with most of us soon to be scattered all over the country so shipping anything will have to wait until after New Years. The famale terminal that broke during the OP's installation is just an off-the-shelf female terminal that can be found at any hardware store, btw. So as much as I hate to say it, going there would get everything up and running quicker than waiting for us to get back into the office to ship you something.

Regards,
Shiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDutchski View Post
Shiv responded when everyone knows they're on vacation, with a concise technical description of how to solve your problem the fastest, which is what you wanted. If you have the ability to install the PROcede, you sure as hell can drive to Radio Shack and spend a couple dollars and fix what you broke. If you can't handle that, you should have bought a SSTT.

Let me make sure I have this correct...

* you have a problem with the product

* the company responds to your problem when they are closed and on vacation

* you bitch back at them because you don't like the answer

You're being unreasonable.
Appreciate 0