E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V2 user software question

12-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

V2 user software question

Hi - Im still having some issues getting everything confirmed for a successful V2 install. I actually haven't done anything for over a week due to computer issues.

A question on the user software....While my computer is hooked up via the usb cable to my procede, I'm looking at the user software (nice little gages at the top) and I'm seeing something I don't think I should be seeing on the far top right...it looks like this:

Channel

Engine load in
Engine load out
Boost control DC
Boost control set point -14.7 psi
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sould I be seeing this negative number on the "Boost control set point"?

I've gone over wire by wire with Dustin, so I think it's a map downloading issue. I have downloaded the new firmware, and the latest beta map that shiv sent me. Thanks.
      12-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Mine displays the same.... This will change however if or when you have the car running. I think it's just a default value that sits there for some reason... I could be wrong though...
      12-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Just got done doing the update and I have no idea a good way to confirm that the new firmware is loaded... Im assuming it is cause I loaded the new map and the car is running fine (Knock on wood) HOWEVER, I received a LOW BATTERY sign... Is this right? I did notice my CA isnt really working anymore...
      12-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Goto the comms menu and scroll down to where it says firmware....when you enter that prompt it will say firmware 103...that should be the new one!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Low battery sign is no problem, just get a battery charger and charge the battery for 2 or three hours...I had that same problem on my initial install because of all the time i spent trying to connect with the Procede...The ignition on, plus the trunk light, plus the Procede flashes, plus cranking a motor that wouldn't start, all atributed to the battery getting drained...I charged it overnight and it never appeared again!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
I think mine may be due to the fact that I still have the fused power source still hooked up and functioning along with the switched power source.
      12-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Hi - Im still having some issues getting everything confirmed for a successful V2 install. I actually haven't done anything for over a week due to computer issues.

A question on the user software....While my computer is hooked up via the usb cable to my procede, I'm looking at the user software (nice little gages at the top) and I'm seeing something I don't think I should be seeing on the far top right...it looks like this:

Channel

Engine load in
Engine load out
Boost control DC
Boost control set point -14.7 psi
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sould I be seeing this negative number on the "Boost control set point"?

I've gone over wire by wire with Dustin, so I think it's a map downloading issue. I have downloaded the new firmware, and the latest beta map that shiv sent me. Thanks.
Boost control set poing and Boost control DC have no relevance in the N54 application. So you can ignore them. They are just default display channels. You can remove them if they bother you

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Have you done the 3rd gear pull with gradually flooring the gas pedal? If you done that and no code, then everything is fine.
      12-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=E90ice;1883384]Have you done the 3rd gear pull with gradually flooring the gas pedal? If you done that and no code, then everything is fine.[/QUOTE\

Man, I just went through hell.... I finally disconnected my fused power source from the 1.47 days and the second I did that, i had errors up the ass... limp, CEL DTC malfunction.... dead battery etc... crazy shit. I went through and disconnected all the power and wire connections, recrimped and re taped all area's that call for it and bang, all errors went away and the car is sweet.......
      12-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Goto the comms menu and scroll down to where it says firmware....when you enter that prompt it will say firmware 103...that should be the new one!
I'll go out and try this myself....I'm not convinced I've loaded everything correctly. I'm not a computer expert so all this "uncompressing" stuff kind of wacks me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Boost control set poing and Boost control DC have no relevance in the N54 application. So you can ignore them. They are just default display channels. You can remove them if they bother you

Shiv
Cool. I'm still having limp issues,so I wanted to make sure the -14.7 psi under power didn't mean anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Have you done the 3rd gear pull with gradually flooring the gas pedal? If you done that and no code, then everything is fine.
Don't know if you are referring to me iceman but I'm still getting limp mode. all wiring checks out...so now I'm trying to confirm my downloads.
      12-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll go out and try this myself....I'm not convinced I've loaded everything correctly. I'm not a computer expert so all this "uncompressing" stuff kind of wacks me out.

Cool. I'm still having limp issues,so I wanted to make sure the -14.7 psi under power didn't mean anything.

Don't know if you are referring to me iceman but I'm still getting limp mode. all wiring checks out...so now I'm trying to confirm my downloads.
I would suggest triple, quadruple check your power wiring... I was getting limp modes CEL with the bypass plugs in, without. I unhooked all the power from the PROcede, grabbed some pliers, recrimped the best I could all of the connectors to the cables followed up by electrical tape. You may also want to try starting the car WITHOUT sliding the green power clip back into it's housing, just clip the 2 together for troubleshooting. I think with that thing sitting so low in the box it bends the power lines and losses connection.
      12-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
I would suggest triple, quadruple check your power wiring... I was getting limp modes CEL with the bypass plugs in, without. I unhooked all the power from the PROcede, grabbed some pliers, recrimped the best I could all of the connectors to the cables followed up by electrical tape. You may also want to try starting the car WITHOUT sliding the green power clip back into it's housing, just clip the 2 together for troubleshooting. I think with that thing sitting so low in the box it bends the power lines and losses connection.
After I confirm all downloads have been done properly (and if I still have limp mode) I'm going to remove the v2 completely, and revert back to 1.45. If everything checks out ok, I'm going to send the v2 back to vishnu for testing.

It's unlikely there is anything wrong with the v2, but you never know

I've only been working on the problem periodically, since I've been so busy with family in town, and I'm doing some remodeling at my vacation house at the ocean. I plan on checking everything today and see if I can't find the problem.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate the support
      12-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
After I confirm all downloads have been done properly (and if I still have limp mode) I'm going to remove the v2 completely, and revert back to 1.45. If everything checks out ok, I'm going to send the v2 back to vishnu for testing.

I've only been working on the problem periodically, since I've been so busy with family in town, and I'm doing some remodeling at my vacation house at the ocean. I plan on checking everything today and see if I can't find the problem.

Just humor me, before you send it back and or revert back to V.1 When you have the ECU open, get all the power wires straightened out. Look for bends at the clips, straighten them, make sure they're not loose at all and throw some electrical tape on em to make sure they dont move. After this, rather than sliding the green wire "holders" back into place, leave them floating but connected and try starting the car... This is what I did and it took care of the issue. It showed me that once the wires were put back into place (Crammed in) that was the issue. I believe...
      12-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I believe from what i hear Shiv state that once your do a firmware of V2, you cannot revert back to the V1 firmware...If you wanted to do this, I think you have to send the whole Procede unit back to them for them to revert it back to V1 firmware...Don't hold me to this but I know somewhere along the line I read this and it came from Shiv himself!!! Ask him through a new thread or a PM!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
digi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

Quote:

It seems like I have the same problem with the power issue. First of all, when laptop is hooked up to procede, it goes "online" for half a minute and then disconnects by itself. After I even load the map successfully, when I test drive the car with the latest version of v2.02, I go into LIMP MODE at around 3-4k rpm, in pretty much any gear. Annoying as HELL!!

I've spoken to dustin about it and he confirmed that a radio shack male and female spade connector would suffice for the orange power wire. So I picked them up, re crimped(BTW Im very tech/electrical savvy- NO problems with v1.45 for 6+ months) with a SOLID connection, and connected. All other wire connections were triple checked so no issues there. I've tried three different USB cables to no avail either.

I think I will send in my V2 as well and see if it's the unit. OR if SHIV and CO. can possibly return my calls, pm's, messages, maybe they can shed some light on the situation of a frustrated customer....
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
Just humor me, before you send it back and or revert back to V.1 When you have the ECU open, get all the power wires straightened out. Look for bends at the clips, straighten them, make sure they're not loose at all and throw some electrical tape on em to make sure they dont move. After this, rather than sliding the green wire "holders" back into place, leave them floating but connected and try starting the car... This is what I did and it took care of the issue. It showed me that once the wires were put back into place (Crammed in) that was the issue. I believe...
Don't get me wrong, I think all your advice has been spot on. The thing is the power hook up is pretty much the only thing I've been sure of since day one. I had the v2 harness in the wrong holes going to the procede, but that's because I messed up on the numbering sequence on the plugs . Brilliant I know, but I didn't even know they were numbered. Since this discovery everything is A-ok on the procede end, which was confirmed with Dustin (during about a 1 hour phone call).

I will in fact go back through the power connections to make sure everything is ok. But what's confusing to me is the fact that I am registering power to the unit via the user software. I thought if I didn't have all my power connections in tact that I wouldn't be getting the power reading

The thing that I really need to confirm is the connections to the ecu....but that was really pretty easy, since I'm working with the excisting wires from the original green loom. (just an easy switch out to the new green loom)

So here's what I will do....go through all the wiring again, including pulling my electrical tape off from the intercepted wires (make sure I have a good connection), then I'll go through the power wiring again, then I'll confirm I have the right firmware installed (version 103?). If all else fails, then I'll put everything back to v1.45 and send my v2 back for evaluation.
      12-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think all your advice has been spot on. The thing is the power hook up is pretty much the only thing I've been sure of since day one. I had the v2 harness in the wrong holes going to the procede, but that's because I messed up on the numbering sequence on the plugs . Brilliant I know, but I didn't even know they were numbered. Since this discovery everything is A-ok on the procede end, which was confirmed with Dustin (during about a 1 hour phone call).

I will in fact go back through the power connections to make sure everything is ok. But what's confusing to me is the fact that I am registering power to the unit via the user software. I thought if I didn't have all my power connections in tact that I wouldn't be getting the power reading

The thing that I really need to confirm is the connections to the ecu....but that was really pretty easy, since I'm working with the excisting wires from the original green loom. (just an easy switch out to the new green loom)

So here's what I will do....go through all the wiring again, including pulling my electrical tape off from the intercepted wires (make sure I have a good connection), then I'll go through the power wiring again, then I'll confirm I have the right firmware installed (version 103?). If all else fails, then I'll put everything back to v1.45 and send my v2 back for evaluation.

I wish you the best of luck my man... I just got back from a pretty spirited drive and... Holy shittttt. This car is fast. You'll love it.
      12-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #18
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Ok I just went out to the garage and powered up my procede, checked the firmware that I'm running (cn555ic's suggestion) and here's what it said:
"Firmware series 103, Firmware info: 201."

So it looks like I have the correct firmware installed. It also looks like I have the right map installed, as all rpm settings are at 94.xxxx.

I have to take off for awhile, but when I get back I'll start going through my wiring.....again.
      12-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #19
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Oh yea and I have all my tq set at 96% across the board...
      12-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
Fubarsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Ok I just went out to the garage and powered up my procede, checked the firmware that I'm running (cn555ic's suggestion) and here's what it said:
"Firmware series 103, Firmware info: 201."

So it looks like I have the correct firmware installed. It also looks like I have the right map installed, as all rpm settings are at 94.xxxx.

I have to take off for awhile, but when I get back I'll start going through my wiring.....again.
Normtrum
I am running the V2.02 12-19 map. The default torque on that map is 90%. I left it at that and run 13.9 psi boost no codes. Why does yours show 94%, I don't think this is the default map setting we should start at IMO.
      12-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #21
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarsky View Post
Normtrum
I am running the V2.02 12-19 map. The default torque on that map is 90%. I left it at that and run 13.9 psi boost no codes. Why does yours show 94%, I don't think this is the default map setting we should start at IMO.
Hi Fubarsky - I'm running the beta map that shiv sent me via email a few weeks back. I'm not even sure if it's available to the public yet, I haven't really been paying attention to that part of it.
      12-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #22
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Ok - found the problem....I hope. I was going back over my wiring, I noticed that one of the intercepted wires from the ecu (837) had a weird kink in the electrical tape....almost like the conecction part was bent. So I painstakenly removed the e-tape, and found that the little connector pice from the 837 wire had slid off....it wasn't broken since there were no broken wires that I could see. So now I have to get this little connector piece back over the exsposed wire. Then I will crimp it, then reconnect it to the pointy end of the v2 harness.

This HAS to be it! I have to wait for my wife to come home, so she can hold my magnifer....it's extremely hard to see!